QNAP 1282T Thunderbolt not working on win10

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
naska1990
New here

QNAP 1282T Thunderbolt not working on win10

Post by naska1990 »

Hi!

I've just bought a QNAP TVS-1282T with 8 WD Red Pro 8TB on Raid 6. It works, but i cannot connect it via thunderbolt to my Windows 10 PC.

Once i connect it i get this message: "the last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it".
If i go to the device manager in Windows i see that under "USB Device (Universal Serial Bus)" there is a "Billboard Device" reporting an error with Code 10. (screenshot below)
(it's in italian. A literal translation would be: Impossible to start the device (Code 10). You specified an unexisting device)
I tried to click on it and automatically look for drivers, but it says that the device drivers are up to date.
When i access the Qnap via browser (Qnap connected via ethernet on my LAN) and try to start the setup procedure, i can see that the nas seems not connected with Thunderbolt.
However, if i try to connect it to my girlfriend macbook, it works

So, how can i make this work via Thunderbolt 2 on my Windows PC?
I've spent 13K€ on this setup (NAS + PC), you can imagine i cannot work without Thunderbolt!!

Additional details:
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX. Bios Version F3. All drivers installed. It supports Thunderbolt 3
- NAS connected via Thunderbolt 2 cable into the USB Type C port with this Startech adapter https://www.startech.com/Cables/thunder ... BT3TBTADAP
- Windows 10 Version 1511, Build OS 10586.633
- Gigabyte tech support said a Thunderbolt 2 device would work with this Motherboard using that adapter. I've asked them before buying all this stuff

Thanks for your help
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP 1282T Thunderbolt not working on win10

Post by dolbyman »

have you asked the qnap support (via ticket) if the device (gigabyte board and/or tb adapter) is supported ?
QNAPJames
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJames »

Hi there,

We tested this in a similar environment before. According to our lab test, you gotta approve the device first before you can start using it. I am not sure if this is what you need, but you can give it a try.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAS: QNAP TS-464T4 Special Edition + Seagate IronWolf 125 3.84TB SATA SSD * 4 (RAID5)
Backup: QNAP TR-002 + Seagate IronWolf 10TB SATA HDD *2 (RAID0)
Networking: QNAP QSW-1108-8T 2.5GbE Network Switch
naska1990
New here

Post by naska1990 »

Thanks for your replies!
I've spent one hour with tech support with them working on my PC via Teamviewer, but they had no idea what was going on. They opened a ticket BTW.

About the screenshots, what i see when i go to that menu is the following (attached)
No matter what i click, nothing happens.
What's weird is that windows actually does not recognize the device at all.
Any other ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wphalvorson81
New here

Post by wphalvorson81 »

I asked customer support, and the only "useful" reply I received was that it had been tested using Mac, but had not been tested on Windows PC, so is not supported except on Mac. My PC gives an audible notification when I connect my thunderbolt cable, but my Thunderbolt options to manage devices and list devices are blank with no devices or options listed. I had really hoped this would work. I will still be able to use the 10Gb ethernet connections, but disappointed about the Thunderbolt. My QNAP is a TVS-882T with dual 10Gb Ethernet in addition to dual Thunderbolt and 4 built in 1Gb ethernet.
wphalvorson81
New here

Post by wphalvorson81 »

From the QNAP website: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/tutorial/con ... ne&cid=159
" Note:

The number of Thunderbolt interfaces varies by NAS model.
Check with the device manufacturer to determine if the device supports Thunderbolt daisy-chaining.
The total number of connections in a daisy-chain will affect overall performance.
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 or later is required.
"
Seems to indicate the Thunderbolt is not even expected to work except on a Mac OS X system.
Desmack
New here

Post by Desmack »

It doesn't work on Windows 11 either.. the same problem. The device is recognised as a USB billboard.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Another necropost after 6 years, marked for closure

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”