OpenVPN Client issues on QVPN

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
giuliof
First post

OpenVPN Client issues on QVPN

Post by giuliof »

Hello!

I have an account on OpenVPN Cloud and I had configured my QNAP as "OpenVPN Connector" through QVPN.
Everything worked well since last upgrade. At the moment i have fw 5.0.0.2055. If I try to add the .ovpn file, a new line appears in VPN Connection Profiles list, but status is greyed and does not change. No IP is assigned and obviously no traffic is exchanged through VPN.
If I try to edit the Connection Profile (the only thing I can change is "Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost") I get an "Incorrect value" error message.

Instead, if I login with ssh and i do "$ openvpnclient myfile.ovpn", connection is completed successfully and I have my NAS inside VPN.

So...
[*] am I doing something wrong when I try to import the .ovpn file through web GUI?
[*] assuming that QVPN too invokes openvpnclient, where does it keep the logging informations? In QVPN's Connection Logs I can't see anything.

Thanks
gandalf67
Starting out

Re: OpenVPN Client issues on QVPN

Post by gandalf67 »

Hello, I'm also having more and more issues with Open VPN on this firmware version (and QVPN client 2.4.737) . It seems to connect to the VPN, the log says it's connected but the little dot on the left of the connection profile stays grey and the nas doesn't take the open vpn ip... Sometimes it can work for a couple of days, with the small dot going green and the connections going through the VPN, then for some reason it gets disconnected and never reconnects properly. Sometimes a reboot helps, sometimes even not.
I'd also like to find the detailed open vpn client logs, to start with.
Last edited by gandalf67 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ebassett
First post

Post by ebassett »

I'm having the exact same issues - started a couple of months ago. After a long time with a very stable OpenVPN connection, now it is gray much of the time, reboots seem to help but it won't stay up very long.
gandalf67
Starting out

Post by gandalf67 »

ebassett wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:29 am I'm having the exact same issues - started a couple of months ago. After a long time with a very stable OpenVPN connection, now it is gray much of the time, reboots seem to help but it won't stay up very long.
Yeah it definitely started with one of the QTS or QVPN updates a few months ago, was much more stable before this.
And it's not an issue with the VPN provider, using its Windows client works like a charm with no issues.
This-Game
New here

Post by This-Game »

Very annoying indeed. Made a second profile seemed to work for me, thought the local vpn provider had an issue then. Now the other won't connect either until a reboot. Guess try to open a kind of support ticket, don't know if there are any official Qnap moderators active here... I have a 1 year old TS-453D
jcmbowman
Starting out

Post by jcmbowman »

I’ve been having the same problem for a few months now. I’m getting tired of removing my client profiles, rebooting, and adding them again. It was definitely a QTS update at some point that caused this.
TVS-h1288X - 48 GB RAM
2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB - RAID1 783GB Usable (Apps)
4x WDC WD120EFBX 12TB - RAID5 32.7TB Usable (Data)
2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB - RAID0 1.8GB Usable (Cache Acceleration for Data)
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

This-Game wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:58 pm Guess try to open a kind of support ticket, don't know if there are any official Qnap moderators active here...
No, this is a community forum and there are no official QNAP people here.
One (of many) ways to get help from support is to open and use the "HelpDesk" application in the app center on your NAS.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

jcmbowman wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:34 pm I’ve been having the same problem for a few months now. I’m getting tired of removing my client profiles, rebooting, and adding them again. It was definitely a QTS update at some point that caused this.
Have you entered a helpdesk ticket to notify QNAP? Waiting for unreported issues to be resolved could result in a long wait :)

I'd also strongly suggest that you check to see if your router is capable of running the VPN services rather than your NAS.
jcmbowman
Starting out

Post by jcmbowman »

dosborne wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:59 pm
jcmbowman wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:34 pm I’ve been having the same problem for a few months now. I’m getting tired of removing my client profiles, rebooting, and adding them again. It was definitely a QTS update at some point that caused this.
Have you entered a helpdesk ticket to notify QNAP? Waiting for unreported issues to be resolved could result in a long wait :)

I'd also strongly suggest that you check to see if your router is capable of running the VPN services rather than your NAS.
I don’t want the VPN services running on my router. I want them running on my server where I can direct certain applications to use them without putting the entire server behind a VPN.
TVS-h1288X - 48 GB RAM
2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB - RAID1 783GB Usable (Apps)
4x WDC WD120EFBX 12TB - RAID5 32.7TB Usable (Data)
2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB - RAID0 1.8GB Usable (Cache Acceleration for Data)
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

jcmbowman wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:37 am I don’t want the VPN services running on my router. I want them running on my server where I can direct certain applications to use them without putting the entire server behind a VPN.
Fair enough, it's your network and your decision. I stand by my recommendation though as it gives you more flexibility about what is or is not "behind" the VPN, and more importantly is significantly more secure. But, your choice. Not everyone is aware of this so I thought I'd mention it.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

PaulAtreidis wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:27 pm So i choosed everything but the NAS.
I'm the opposite :) One of my VPNs is just FOR all the NAS boxes I've got running.
jcmbowman wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:37 am I want them running on my server where I can direct certain applications to use them without putting the entire server behind a VPN.
In addition to being able to control by device (MAC or IP), many routers can also be configured so that specific services (ports) will be redirected through the VPN (or excluded depending on which way you setup the default action)
This-Game
New here

Post by This-Game »

My router is managed by my internet provider. I previously used a Pi4 tot manage the vpn for the torrent client on it. Now I use Download station over vpn, which worked until a few firmware updates ago. Don't want to have to buy an expensive router (which would probably be a still buggy Unifi dream router, or a simple mikrotik hex-s without the required cpu power for openvpn).
Will check the helpdesk app.
This-Game
New here

Post by This-Game »

Found this other thread with people allready having opened tickets for this issue. Am troubleshooting myself a bit now and got this message:
Start OpenVPN connection: ipset v6.32: Kernel support protocol versions 6-7 while userspace supports protocol versions 6-6
Set cannot be created: set with the same name already exists
setup_vpn_customized_client_rule create vpntun2001 failed.
An other user mentioned an issue like this and explains why a reboot will temporarily fix it. Cannot find "add_vpnclient_profile" command/script on the system or google. Too hot and with the kids at home to investigate further...

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”