TS-932PX-4G DNS Error - How to fix

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
WonderWoman
Starting out

TS-932PX-4G DNS Error - How to fix

Post by WonderWoman »

Hello,

I am midway through setting up my TS-932-4G NAS but I have a problem and some questions. This is my first NAS setup.

My environment:

All equipment is personal/private not from a business

2 Laptops Both running Win 10 Pro:
11 yr old HP DV7
CPU = i7 Quad core 2.20GHz
RAM = 16GB
2 Drives
C: = 1TB SSD
S: (storage/data) = 1TB mech

New laptop (not even 6 mos old) = MSI Katana GF66 11UE
CPU = 11th Gen i7 Octa Core - 11800H 2.30GHz
RAM = 32GB
1 Drive:
C: = 2TB NVME

2 Seagate External USB HD (connected to the NAS):

8TB
10TB

NAS has 2 x 16TB Seagate Ironwolf drives - both not used yet

Ok, now that I have pretty much laid out my environment here's my questions and issues.

1) Getting a DNS error (pic) DNS Server cannot resolve hosts
2) Getting Notification Alert (I believe it is related to the DNS error):
[Storage & Snapshots] Failed to upload disk analysis data (pic) (these messages tell me that the NAS is not connecting to the internet

Ethernet is plugged into port 1 and then plugged into the combo modem/WiFi router
I am able to access the NAS without any problems.
NAS has been setup with RAID 0 (I have enough redundancy to cover myself in other ways and wanted to maximize the storage)

DNS Server is set to Google using their primary and secondary DNS (this is what my ISP uses)
I cannot switch DNS to Auto DNS because the option is greyed out

Other issue:

When you look at the folder/drive naming conventions I use you can all guess that I am HUGE into Wonder Woman (and Greek Mythology), that being said all my computer equipment and mobile devices are named for WW characters and locations and such. My new laptop (MSI) is named WonderWoman and my 11 yr old HP is named simply "Hippolyta" (WW's mom, queen of the Amazons). I have two mysterious either shared folders or 2 volumes one named WonderWoman and the other named Queen_Hyppolyta. I don't know what they are and would like to delete them so I can avoid confusion (I'd say right about now, too late for avoiding confusion). I have gone into the CP>Shared Folders and I am unable to put a checkmark in the boxes to remove/delete them. They are both described as some sort of USB drive. My attached external USB HDD are NOT named those (as you see in the pics) they are named 10TB & 8TB so I know those two names are not those drives. How can I identify those folders and remove them?
Shared Folders List in CP.jpg
QNAP NAS DNS Message.jpg
FileStation 5 Folders View.jpg
Thank you in advance for all assistance..........

Sincerely,

WonderWoman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-932PX-4G DNS Error - How to fix

Post by dolbyman »

log into the NAS via SSH and check if you can ping some domains of your choosing (gateway settings wrong?)

The extra 'drives' on your external devices... use diskpart* to remove these partitions

*diskpart is preinstalled in Win10
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

A screenshot of your network adapter setup might be useful, but as @dolbyman mentioned it could be you haven't set a default gateway assuming there isn't and issue with your DNS entries. It could also be farther upstream, your modem may be blocking internet access. Not as likely, but still a possibility.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
WonderWoman
Starting out

Post by WonderWoman »

Hello,

Thank you for your replies, here are several screenshots of both the networking configuration on the NAS and on my Router which is a home router furnished to me by my ISP. I don't use a physical switch I use the virtual switch from QNAP. I tried to log into the NAS via SSH after enabling it (I wanted to see what it was like logging in through SSH since I have never done that before) and I am unable to log in via SSH. I get a box with the SSH enabled but the apply button is greyed out and only the cancel button is usable or if I take the checkmark out of enable SSH then the apply button lights up. I am able to sign in normally through the web interface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

-UPNP should be off on the router (security)

- Did the router DHCP set the .254 for the NAS?

- You say you use a software defined switch on the NAS ? I dont see it configured.

- SSH is active by default ..try to connect to it
WonderWoman
Starting out

Post by WonderWoman »

Hello,

I finally got Plex to work. It seems like the problem might have been that it did not install correctly. I removed it and then re-installed it and it immediately worked. I noticed that when it connects for Plex it says "not secure", how can I make that secure and FYI - I purchased my own SSL cert. I took your advice and disabled UNPNP on the router but I noticed that the MyCloud says it will only work with UNPNP devices. That being said and since I will definitely need to use the MyCloud to work on a project in conjunction with someone in France, will the MyCloud still work? I set the .254 came up automatically and since that number has sentimental meaning to me (my late mother's license plate all her car owning life) I opted to keep it. I took it as a message from her saying I'm still watching over you.....she passed in 2020 but not from the CCP virus, probably a heart attack. She got up and just collapsed dead in her own bed. Damn! I still miss her so much!

I am including the screenshot of the V. Switch for the NAS.

Thank you..........
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Exposing your NAS to WAN is extremely dangerous..lots of people had all their stuff encrypted (some even multiple times) and held for ransom..never ever expose your NAS to WAN!

if you want your NAS to have .254 ..make sure the DHCP scope ends before that or just make a DHCP reservation for 254

Plex does not need a purchased SSL... Plex does it all for you

So how many cables are going into the NAS? if only one..you are not using a software defined switch (or at least it's sitting unused)
WonderWoman
Starting out

Post by WonderWoman »

I have 1 Ethernet cable connecting the NAS to the home modem/router. I have 2 USB cables connecting the 2 external drives I have. I don't need a physical switch because my home network is extremely small, I live alone so I am the only person that will use all my equipment which amounts (at this time) to 2 laptops. When I get a job I will be completing my purchases for the desktop I am building.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Hope you mark my words about not exposing your NAS...in contrast to other stuff you posted above (CCP virus?) ...QNAP malware is real
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

WonderWoman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:33 am That being said and since I will definitely need to use the MyCloud to work on a project in conjunction with someone in France, will the MyCloud still work?
Setup a VPN on your router (or a Raspberry Pi or other device) for remote access (or use another collaborative system, even Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive. As already warned, allowing remote access in any other way makes you a huge target for ransomware and other attacks.

Also, make sure you have a proper backup plan/strategy.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”