NAS turns off when inserting disks!?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Malzbier
New here

NAS turns off when inserting disks!?

Post by Malzbier »

Now this is the second QNAP TS-431K I got within two weeks, because I want ro migrate my 4 disks from a broken TS-431P into a new NAS and according to QNAP migration guide this should work OOTB with these two models.

The first TS-431K always showed green lights for all my 4 disks when I inserted any of the WD RED 3 TB disks into the new one, but when connecting via SSH and sending "qcli_storage -d" it showed no disks at all and QNAP support, who connected remotely, told me that internal SATA controller is probably not working (=broken) in the new QNAP TS-431K.

That is why I ordered another new QNAP TS-431K in order to have a working SATA controller, but here happens the following: I boot up the NAS without disks and it starts up normal and of course I am waiting until it is fully booted. Now, whenever I insert any of my 4 WD RED 3TB disks in the new NAS, then immediately the device just turns completely off! Then the start button does not work and dont do anything no more. I cant even restart the NAS via Qfinder and first need to remove all the drives and cut power supply, wait for 1 minutes and start booting again - also without disks! With any disk inserted into the NAS it wont switch on, wont boot. I doubt my drives are an issue here, since they showed green LEDs in the other TS-431K.

Anyone has any idea why one of the NEW QNAP TS-431K shows green LEDS but dont recognize any disks, while the other one (same model) just turns off completely when you put any disk inside? I really cant believe to have gotten two broken NAS in a row!?

Any hints or ideas what is going on, I mean these are brand new NAS? Any advice here is very much appreciated!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NAS turns off when inserting disks!?

Post by dolbyman »

What happened to the first NAS? Lightning strike?
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: NAS turns off when inserting disks!?

Post by dosborne »

Do you have another drive that you can try in one of the new NAS boxes that hasn't been through whatever happened to the first one? (preferably a newer / more current drive)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”