Qnap TS-231k set-up adjustment

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
claudio88
New here

Qnap TS-231k set-up adjustment

Post by claudio88 »

All,

So have been a while, since I have run the above-mentioned NAS.
I definitely made mistakes during the initial set-up also due to being new to this environment. Overall I am enjoying the system and learned a lot reading through here.

I would like some advice related to stepping up properly the volume/folders etc.
So this is the current set-up, again since I was new my mistake was to think of it as an external hard drive plus some testing ongoing
image_2022-07-27_222322496.png
So I get it, external hard drive for backup purposes, snapshot for the volume I deem most necessary to try to keep everything organized.
FileShare was/is a tentative to create something similar to Onedrive like experience, using Qsync, still a learning curve there as well at the same time I was trying to link one drive storage

Now this is where I would like to go, probably my main goal would be to remove the Onedrive subscription and move over everything on the NAS,
but also being able to retrieve files on the go, since could change I believed the right solution was to use a thin set-up.
when i first started up the system and personal data where on the same volume, should be more correct to have the two of them separate for snapshot purpose of versioning?

I can't really figure out how to set up properly the hybrid mount, but since i am willing to give up the onedrive subscription, do i really need?
I am running i Onedrive family subscrition, but probably all of that could have been shrinked in a 300gb folder to i think i am overkilling it, and would like to but the bucks where should go
image_2022-07-27_222408490.png

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated
Thanks,

Claudio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
claudio88
New here

Re: Qnap TS-231k set-up adjustment

Post by claudio88 »

So I did try to rearrange the setup on my nas, and I guess for a 2bay 4+4 TB HDD drive, there are not a lot of choices to pick up with.
so I have brought my nas back to factory reset and started a completely new set up as raid 1, so basically only available in 1 hard disk (4TB). for what I need at the moment should be sufficient.

on the drive then I set up a storage pool1 (i believe you are only allowed to do so) and then separate the volumes for what I need.
image_2022-08-15_135243120.png
In which situation you would use thin vs thick volume? is thin better in case you will have future expansion?
hope this gives some ideas for who might answer.

For the hybrid mount, I will send everything down the hole, since I am planning to ditch everything from the subscription with Onedrive.
at the moment i am running with a sync and then once settle in properly will remove the link.

thanks for your ideas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Personally, whatever volume type etc you end up going with (I'll let others more knowledgeable comment on that), I'd go with a single volume using the maximum capacity available. From there, you can create/share/use simple folders to segregate the data types. I've followed this principle from day 1 with hard drives in my computer. Much easier to manage. Trying to increase a partition, or volume in this case, is a pain in the you know what.

Don't over think it, it's just storage :)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
claudio88
New here

Post by claudio88 »

Appreciated the time for your suggestions,I know that you can separate the shares through users, even though mainly the most that use the nas are myself and plex for my kids on the home network.
So basically I am banging my head on the wall for almost nothing

Thanks

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”