Just got the TS-464 and have many questions

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
bitsbytes
New here

Just got the TS-464 and have many questions

Post by bitsbytes »

Hello everyone in the QNAP community forums. I've been looking into getting a NAS for quite sometime. I've been researching over the internet for a while, and finally I decided to go with QNAP and the TS-464 specifically. I mainly choose it because it's a new model and it offers good hardware value for the price. I'll be using the NAS for the following..

1- media server (plex seems like the way to go)
2- file sharing
3- backup (there's another backup off-site and offline most of the time for the most important stuff)

The 464 will be connected directly to my router (asus AX86U) I've got a couple of questions and please keep in mind that this is my first time setting and using a NAS device.

1- what is the preferred RAID setup for four HDDs ?
2- should I look into upgrading the RAM? and are all DDR4 sodimms compatible with it? my 464 comes with 4GB installed
3- what are the do and don'ts regarding security? reading a bit in this forum made be a bit worried of ransomware attacks. how common are they?
4- is SSD caching of any benefit for my usage?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Just got the TS-464 and have many questions

Post by dolbyman »

1. RAID5
2. Try it with stock first, if you need to upgrade, start experimenting, as QNAP NAS a VERY picky (and I don't think we have a 'memory thread' for this NAS yet)
3. Never ever expose your NAS to WAN ... (manual port forwards or upnp) if you follow this, then you are pretty good in terms of security
4. No
bitsbytes
New here

Post by bitsbytes »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:25 pm 1. RAID5
2. Try it with stock first, if you need to upgrade, start experimenting as QNAP NAS a VERY picky (and I don't think we have a thread for this NAS yet)
3. Never ever expose your NAS to WAN ... (manual port forwards or upnp) if you follow this, then you are pretty good in terms of security
4. No
thank you very much.

1- RAID 5 it is then
2- you're right seems like it hasn't arrived in markets outside Asia ( I live and work in Saudi Arabia and got the NAS from the UAE)
3- I'm gonna need to read on this
4- saved me a fortune there
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

bitsbytes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:44 pm 3- I'm gonna need to read on this
Don't delay, this is your #1 priority. Attacks on NAS are common, frequent and ongoing. The first post on the Deadbolt thread should give you a considerable level of protection, but as soon as you use your NAS for any data that is "valuable" to you, ensure you have a backup plan that matches the same level of importance.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=164797
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
claudio88
New here

Post by claudio88 »

bitsbytes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:44 pm
3- I'm gonna need to read on this
You can read about set up and particular ways, once you start up the nas go over few points as they said.

On your router not sure if you have any particular set up. Mainly ensure that there are no port forwarding or DMZ enabled.
On your Nas, if you don't have particular needs disable DLNA, telnet&ssh protocols and upnp port forwarding.

As per the exercise you have done to look through the web for which Nas to purchase, do the same for additional security setup, honestly there is always something new to learn.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Why disable SSH? That is often a valuable tool for troubleshooting!
bitsbytes
New here

Post by bitsbytes »

PaulAtreidis wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:33 pm
bitsbytes wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:19 pm
2- should I look into upgrading the RAM? and are all DDR4 sodimms compatible with it? my 464 comes with 4GB installed
Please follow nascompares om youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIEk86IEaY
He has promised a video on how to upgrade the memory on a TS-464.

I upgraded my TS-253D with a 16Gb ram module from crucial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgL4DBzg6CI

I experienced no issues for over more than 1.5 year.
again thanks to all who replied. I got the NAS two days ago but unfortunately the HDDs haven't arrived yet. I booted the NAS on an ssd just to test a Kingston DDR4 2666 ram I borrowed and it seem to be working.

https://imgur.com/cgqo3iI
https://imgur.com/wMfikY3
https://imgur.com/S0KYDhn
Last edited by bitsbytes on Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bitsbytes
New here

Post by bitsbytes »

so the four Seagate HHDDs arrived and one of them turned out to be faulty. can I create a RAID 5 array with the other three and use them right now while I wait for the fourth one to be replaced?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yes you can
bitsbytes
New here

Post by bitsbytes »

Everything is setup and ready for usage. I've got 3 12TB SeaGate wolfs in RAID 5. The OS started synchronizing the RAID group and it seems that it'll take a really long time to finish, something close to 16 hours. Is this normal or is another HDD acting up?

edit: I'm at %60 synchronization but I'm noticing slow transfer speeds between folders and a somewhat sluggish OS. disk health and SMART data not showing anything abnormal but what i'm experiencing is the same as running windows on a faulty HDD.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Sync, and raid scrubbing, can take a long time. My 5x10TB Raid5 takes about 20 hours for the monthly IIRC, and while the system is usable, there is a noticable reduction in accessing the data. You can also adjust the priority, at least for the scrub, not sure for (re) sync (likely not).

Edit: actually it looks like the priority for all the tasks (sync, rebuild, scrub. Etc) are all tied to the same priority configuration option. (I use medium)
bitsbytes
New here

Post by bitsbytes »

dosborne wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:18 am Sync, and raid scrubbing, can take a long time. My 5x10TB Raid5 takes about 20 hours for the monthly IIRC, and while the system is usable, there is a noticable reduction in accessing the data. You can also adjust the priority, at least for the scrub, not sure for (re) sync (likely not).

Edit: actually it looks like the priority for all the tasks (sync, rebuild, scrub. Etc) are all tied to the same priority configuration option. (I use medium)
yes you can adjust the priority for synchronizing. turns out I set it as high priority somehow without noticing and that affected file transfer speeds a lot. now that i returned it to medium everything is working properly.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Great1
claudio88
New here

Post by claudio88 »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:44 pm Why disable SSH? That is often a valuable tool for troubleshooting!
If you know how to use it, for me personally, I will need some heavy lesson before I could jump into telnet/ssh.
bitsbytes
New here

Post by bitsbytes »

still waiting for my replacement HDD from amazon but I did setup a raid 5 array with 3 12TB ironwolf drives. I chose a thick volume and decided to go with one massive storage pool and one data volume. after filling about 4TB of 20TB available I got a message saying that the storage is full. poking around I found out that snapshot occupied the rest of the available storage!!!! during the setup I chose that snapshot could have %5 of available storage dedicated to it. I deleted the snapshot for now but going forward what are the settings recommended for snapshot or should disable it altogether?

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”