On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Post by dolbyman »

Something might be keeping the QNAP from booting correctly, when drives are in

What is the url you open?

Internal disks are very hard to read externally (lvm)..hence the need for constant external backups for cases like this
Speez
Starting out

Post by Speez »

Ive got it all disconnected now but prior to the failure, my static IP for the Nas was 192.168.2.87. now when it boots up (no drives, new router) it comes up as 192.168.50.87 through qfinder and if I follow that without the drives to the browser it loads the setup screen
With the drives it still fires up as 192.168.50.87 in qfinder but won't load the login screen (191.168.2.87 also gives a can't load error).
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Your DHCP range has changed then...the QNAP will get the IP from your home router (or whatever device does your DHCP)
ParityBit
Starting out

Post by ParityBit »

So my QNAP suffered this fate and after only 6 years I would not expect faulty hardware like this.

Thankfully I had the major files on a backup drive and was able to recover most of it. I then found this thread and decided to do this trick using some jumpers (not solder) and did a 3 second reset.

My QNAP was able to boot up and right now I am copying the files off and onto my new Lockerstor 4. I have not had the best luck with various QNAP software upgrades and now this. So I am going to reuse the drives in a new external enclosure for back-ups, and use a new NAS provider.

Thank you very much for helping me recover my data!
Dj_Paco
New here

Post by Dj_Paco »

The same problem - TS 451 (new 2014)
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Which problem? Cant understand your post.
Modified IP address? Like a few posts before?
Did you change anything in network?
Did you try a 3s reset?

Or do you talking from issue in headline?

Regards
chase.tb
New here

Post by chase.tb »

mathr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:50 am It's alive !
i followed :
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089&start=150#p767546
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459

the procedure works very well with TS-251 !
i could revive it with that 100 Ohms soldered between pin 1 and pin 8

NAS booted properly, FAN RPM and Temperature OK. Disk in Bay 2 online !

but for how long it will survive ? it's time to prepare a replacement
My TS-251 had the exact issue this thread describes last night. I tested adding a 100 ohm resistor using a breadboard and dupont connectors. The status light came up green. After soldering the resistor to pins 1 and 8 and reassembling the NAS, the OS booted and the file system came up clean. Thank you so much for this fix! And thank you to all the others that posted before of their successes with this fix.
jenglish724
New here

Post by jenglish724 »

Just to follow up. I submitted a ticket to QNAP and asked about what they are doing for this.
After investigating, our units are unaffected by this issue. QNAP clarifies that all QNAP products are designed and manufactured according to all specifications and recommendations given by the CPU manufacturer. QNAP product reliability remains unaffected as they meet all quality goals set by both QNAP and the CPU manufacturer.
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2019/qnap- ... -statement
CMB780
New here

Post by CMB780 »

I had the same problem with my TS-251 back when this thread began. It really ** and made life inconvenient. However, I must thank QNAP for this unfortunate event. Without their firmware bricking my unit, I would have never switch to Synology. It is a much better product and more user friendly. I will never look back because you were a huge disappointment QNAP. I am happy to report my Synology NAS has already outlasted my TS-251 and non of their firmware has bricked my unit.
jenglish724
New here

Post by jenglish724 »

CMB780 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:10 pm I had the same problem with my TS-251 back when this thread began. It really ** and made life inconvenient. However, I must thank QNAP for this unfortunate event. Without their firmware bricking my unit, I would have never switch to Synology. It is a much better product and more user friendly. I will never look back because you were a huge disappointment QNAP. I am happy to report my Synology NAS has already outlasted my TS-251 and non of their firmware has bricked my unit.
May I ask how you transferred your data? I'm thinking about hacking my broken QNAP back together with the resistor fix and then uploading to Cloud storage and then bringing it back down to a new Synology device. Quite sour about how QNAP handled this.
CMB780
New here

Post by CMB780 »

jenglish724 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:10 am May I ask how you transferred your data? I'm thinking about hacking my broken QNAP back together with the resistor fix and then uploading to Cloud storage and then bringing it back down to a new Synology device. Quite sour about how QNAP handled this.
Yeah, about that. I didn't transfer all my data. I lost everything and moved on. I am aware some Synology NASs had the same issue, but they aren't the ones who served me the $#@% sandwitch. After switching, i found the Synology system more streamlined and easier to use. I still have yet to have an app stop working after an update too. I distinctly remember apps breaking all the time on the QNAP after updates. Until finally and update claimed the entire system. Now that the bitterness has finally dulled enough after 2 years to come back and try this fix. You know, 100 Ohm resistors don't cost very much. Maybe had QNAP just said "yup, there is and issue" and sent us each a 100 Ohm resistor and a couple connectors to snap it in, I might not be bitter. But nope, everyone had to just eat dirt and figure it out for themselves.
CanadaNas
First post

Post by CanadaNas »

Thanks for this thread! My TS-451+ died a couple weeks ago. Red lights of death. The 100 Ohm resistor trick worked for me!
handell
New here

Post by handell »

does this trick work on the TS 251+ ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

251+ is one of the prime suspects with this issue .. yes
BennyS
First post

Post by BennyS »

Il mio QNAP TS-451-4G ad un tratto ha il LED STATUS spento, LED LAN Arancione (cavo lan collegato), LED USB Blu (non c'è nulla collegato sulle USB), LED HDD1 verde (hdd presente), LED HDD2 rosso (hdd presente), LED HDD3 rosso (hdd NON presente), LED HDD4 spento (hdd NON presente), ma NON FUNZIONA NULLA.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”