TS-451 died replacing with TS 473A

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Buzzard#1
Getting the hang of things

TS-451 died replacing with TS 473A

Post by Buzzard#1 »

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Two days ago my TS-451 started showing symptoms of having its last lick, wouldn't boot, and no beep when resetting with or without hard drives. Tried booting without hard drives nothing, no response or sound. The only thing working is the fan, I don't know what is the status of the hard drives, hopefully, they'll be ok, I have four hard drives, and right now it shows HD 1 & 2 lights green, HD 3 & 4 no lights. I went to this website:https://www.qnap.com/en-us/nas-migration/ and found that I can migrate the hard drives from the TS-451 to the TS-473A. I checked myqnapcloud.com website for my TS 451 firmware since the NAS can't boot and it looks like the firmware is the latest. Will it be easy to just install the drives on the new NAS without any hiccups? Can I boot the TS 473A without drives to make sure it has the latest firmware and then put the old drives back? The OS on the TS 451 was QTS, the new NAS seems to have options in terms of running QTS or QuTS hero h5.0.0, will this be a problem? Are there any differences or advantages between the two of them? I will be very happy if boot and can get my data back, I am crossing my fingers. Thanks for any info you can share with me, as this has been a very frustrating weekend.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-451 died replacing with TS 473A

Post by dolbyman »

No need to open multiple topics (duplicate thread deleted)

Your NAS probably died the LPC death (forum search on how to fix this for pennies), if you are worried about your data, check your backups (I guess you have none?)

If you want to migrate to the 473A make sure you do not setup the NAS as QuTS (your drives will not work in a ZFS OS). If you do not need the extra performance of the 473A, a migration compatible QTS only device is probably the better and cheaper alternative.

=======================

And because you said myqnapcloud, make sure you never ever expose your NAS to WAN.

See here for millions of bucks in ransom payments down the drain
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=164797
Buzzard#1
Getting the hang of things

Post by Buzzard#1 »

Thanks for the reply, I do have a backup but it is old, would I be able to boot the new NAS without drives?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Booting without drives ends in installation wizard and message "please insert at least one drive...".
If you want to ensure that QTS and latest firmware is installed, have any disk (could be an old one) at hand for inserting in NAS and do the necessary tasks.

Regards

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”