recommended nvme storage pool ts-h1290fx

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
ukrob
Starting out

recommended nvme storage pool ts-h1290fx

Post by ukrob »

Hi,

I have ts-h1290fx with 16 cores with 4 x 7.68tb nvme drives and 256gb ram. My main use of this box is to run Virtual Machines, using qcow files locally, about 20 of them.

I've gone to set up storage pool but I'm torn between Raid 6 and raid 10.

Also, if I select Raid 6, SSD anti-wear levelling is selected by default, however on the next page is says that pool over provisioning is better than SSD over provisioning. So would I get good redundancy and best performance with raid 10 or should I stick to trusted raid 6 and take the performance hit? Although these disks will be faster than anything I've used before and even in raid 6 will be much faster than my HDD San!!

If I do raid 6 is SSD and Pool Over Provision set to 5% each enough to keep ssd performance and longevity. Raid 6 or 10 does cut my space in half but I do want good protection, in addition to backups!!!! :-)

https://www.qnap.com/solution/storage-m ... s-hero/en/

I could run the zfs profiling tool but I don't have 12 days to spare.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
ROB
There are 10 people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: recommended nvme storage pool ts-h1290fx

Post by dolbyman »

I don't know at what point parity calcs would have an influence on RAID6(RAIDz2) vs. RAID10(Striped mirrored Vdevs), I guess you could try it out.

Also be aware that you are stuck with these 4 drives in that pool as ZFS does (currently) not support expansion.. just in case you were planning to add drives later.

In terms of over-provisioning....on my 1288X I did 5% on the NVME pool (for drive endurance on top of the drive builtin endurance).

On both my SSD RAIDs (RAID1 NVME and RAID5 SATA SSD) I disabled QSAL, I didn't think it was needed for my use case (the NVME pool is very sparsely used and for the SATA pool I used two different manufacturers Intel and Samsung)
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2021/qnap- ... d-failures
ukrob
Starting out

Post by ukrob »

Thanks Dolbyman,

As it was the end of the day I ran the zfs profiling tool (and it completed before I got in this morning) for raid10 and I don't think it needs over provisioning.

I'll run it again for raid 6 and see what is says just 0-20% with 10% steps.

I guess it's worth spending the time to run these tests to see if raid6/raidz2 will be better than raid10. Maybe not as performant but I feel the protection will better as raid 10 you can have 2 disks fail which can take out your whole storage pool.

QSAL says it doesn't affect performance but the interface says pool over provisioning is better/faster than ssd over provisioning. Really need a bit of clarity from qnap.

I did wonder if raid 6 was actually raidz2. Maybe they just call it raid 6 in the web interface?

Yes I understand the pool cannot be expanded. I guess I can simply add another pool and move data over to that if I need to free up space. The shares can be pointed to other pools no doubt.

My fist task is to move my VM's over to this box. General nas storage is on another nas at the moment. I may add SSD drives to this box to add another slower pool albeit much faster than hdd. I did read originally that the ts-1290fx could accept 2.5" hdd but latest literature & compatibility now doesn't mention it.

Rob
ROB
There are 10 people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
Fraternity
New here

Post by Fraternity »

where did you buy your ts-h1290fx? i cannot find one I'm in the UK
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

ukrob wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:45 pmI did wonder if raid 6 was actually raidz2. Maybe they just call it raid 6 in the web interface?
Yes, it is indeed raidz2. Easy to check through ssh + zfs command line tools.
And the shared folders are really ZFS datasets.
ukrob
Starting out

Post by ukrob »

Fraternity wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:07 pm where did you buy your ts-h1290fx? i cannot find one I'm in the UK
Sorry I didn't see this reply. I got it from ebuyer in the end. They were cheaper for a 256GB model with 4 x 7.68TB nvme drives.
You can contact qnap sales directly but that was more expensive for the nas.
ROB

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”