Issues connecting NAS to VPN on Asus router and accessing via internet

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Issues connecting NAS to VPN on Asus router and accessing via internet

Post by dolbyman »

mitsubishi_908
Starting out

Post by mitsubishi_908 »

Thanks for the guide. I finally ended up using this one https://www.gearrice.com/update/how-to- ... s-routers/ because i wanted to set up wireguard instead as it seemed easier. so i got the Wireguard working on my router but how can i now connect to my NAS? Do i have to change settings on my NAS?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

nope.. same as my first reply, just the internal NAS IP is used when accessing it from the connected client
mitsubishi_908
Starting out

Post by mitsubishi_908 »

For some reason I am still unable to connect to the NAS even when I am connected via the wireguard server on the router.. Any suggestions?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Can you ping the NAS from the VPN connected machine ?
mitsubishi_908
Starting out

Post by mitsubishi_908 »

No, i am still not able to ping the NAS from another device connected to the VPN.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

sorry..havent used wireguard yet..so either someone else jumps in or you will have to wait till I had a look
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Using Wiregurad here, but with different hardware.
Which client do you use? At Android devices I am using the WireGuard app and have no issues accessing my LAN when VPN session is established.
May it is helpful, if you post some screenshots (mask the keys and the URL target).

Regards
mitsubishi_908
Starting out

Post by mitsubishi_908 »

Hi FSC830, I am using the wireguard app on android to connect to my Asus router. So, after hours of changing ip settings in the wireguard configuration I was able to get my phone to ping the NAS through the Wireguard connection (see screenshot "ping"). However, i get 100% packet loss and it also seems to take forever to get the ping return. I have attached some screenshots to show my settings.

Thanks!
mitsubishi_908
Starting out

Post by mitsubishi_908 »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:48 pm sorry..havent used wireguard yet..so either someone else jumps in or you will have to wait till I had a look
Ok, so i ended up getting things to work with OpenVPN i can now connect to the NAS remotely through OpenVPN on my router typing the "NAS ip:8080" Now, my question is if i take my NAS off from the internet by disabling the DDNS https://nasname.myqnapcloud.com am i still going to be able to access my NAS via the Qfile app?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

DDNS is only a minor risk in itself...if DDNS works then the NAS is still exposed..

port forwards and upnp must be disabled asap

QFile will work just fine via the internal IP once the VPN is established . I use it myself on the go (with VPN)
mitsubishi_908
Starting out

Post by mitsubishi_908 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:57 pm DDNS is only a minor risk in itself...if DDNS works then the NAS is still exposed..

port forwards and upnp must be disabled asap

QFile will work just fine via the internal IP once the VPN is established . I use it myself on the go (with VPN)
Ok, that's good to hear. So, my NAS is no longer reachable via the internet only through the VPN when connected as i diasbled the port forwards. However, can i still use SmartShare to send links to files on the NAS and share them with others if myqnapcloud disabled? Or is there another way to send links to files on the NAS to other people if needed without putting the NAS back on the internet?

Thanks for your help!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No idea if smartshare work with cloudlink (QNAP relay service to tunnel through to your NAS).

The "share files with friends and family" thing is one of the main reasons people started exposing their NAS (and why criminals have made millions in ransom, exploiting these people)

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”