TS-433 mightration from TS-431P2 failed!

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
MiskoR
New here

TS-433 mightration from TS-431P2 failed!

Post by MiskoR »

Hi,

Just got a new TS-433 and tried to migrate drives from older TS-431P2. After the new TS-433 initialized he requested to upgrade a firmware, which I did but after I was not able to access many utilities / apps including Network & Virtual switch! Also, I've noticed that my drives are missing as well.

I've pulled out drives and tried to reflash it with USB stick as described here: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... series-nas

But after sucessfull recovery (got three beeps and NAS poweder off) I only have blinking green status light and "Loading" page after authenitcation as admin. NAS is visible in Qfinder but sw version is 1.1.10.1903... And I can not login...

Anyone has any suggestion?

I am so afraid that my data on HDDs are erased and I do not undersand why and how...

Thanks!
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: TS-433 mightration from TS-431P2 failed!

Post by FSC830 »

At first: if you are concerned about loosing data, there is a solution: backups!
Backups should be available at any time, a NAS is not a backup, and doing a NAS migration without a backup is like playing with a loaded gun!

Second: you did a firmware recovery! This was, sorry to say, a very bad idea. Best is, to use another old disk and install latest firmware again.
You can also try to install the firmware at NAS without disks (Qfinder), but you may need to install it again when the disks are inserted.

May the solution for the first issue (after migration) was simple: a 3s reset which sets network settings back to default.

Next time ask prior before doing weird things!

Regards
MiskoR
New here

Re: TS-433 mightration from TS-431P2 failed!

Post by MiskoR »

Thanks FSC830, I was out of options after few hours of troubleshooting, that's why I tried fw recovery.

"You can also try to install the firmware at NAS without disks (Qfinder), but you may need to install it again when the disks are inserted." - I tried that numerous time, without success. Every time when I insert old drives I was asked to import configuration or re-init them, naturally I chose import but that import failed somewhere at 60-70% and red status led was turned on.

As you suggested finally I was forced to re-init and use a third HDD for complete system installation.

It seems that somehow my first two HDDs had some issue with existing old QNAP configuration / apps and they were unable to complete startup properly. I still do not understand completely why this happened as they were quite ok in the old NAS case.

Data was not corrupted and yes I do have a backup on another NAS.

Regards,
Miodrag

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”