User apps and connections

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
cdzo72
Starting out

User apps and connections

Post by cdzo72 »

Good morning to all!

OK, first question is do I need to install security apps for each user, such as Malware Remover, Security Counselor, etc? Or just the admin account and that scans all files for all users?

Secondly, can anyone point me in the direction of how I get Acronis to see my NAS and use it as a backup location? What do I have to setup in the NAS or point me to a tutorial.

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: User apps and connections

Post by dolbyman »

Neither malware remover nor security counselor scans user files

Best to not install/remove these apps..just make sure your never ever expose your NAS to WAN (so all NAS users are local)

Best to ask in an Acronis forum on how to mount SMB shares as Backup location
cdzo72
Starting out

Post by cdzo72 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:25 pm Neither malware remover nor security counselor scans user files

Best to not install/remove these apps..just make sure your never ever expose your NAS to WAN (so all NAS users are local)

Best to ask in an Acronis forum on how to mount SMB shares as Backup location
OF course, sound advice, I'd love the luxury of only having local users. Unfortunately the NAS was purchased to provide backups for devices that are rarely going to be local on the home network.

So question remains... I understand those apps don't scan files but my question was more general... for whatever security I try to put on the NAS, will each user have to have apps installed or just one main user?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As said before..the apps not scan user files..so why would you think they need to be installed on user level? (they are not)

At least make sure you have full ofline backups at all times or you will find yourself kicking and screaaming in a malware extortion thread
cdzo72
Starting out

Post by cdzo72 »

So Security Counselor, Malware Remover, Qu Firewall, etc... none of those apps do anything? You're telling me they have no function and no need for a user to install them?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

-Security Counselor tells you what security measures to take (often the wrong ones)

- Malware Remover removes malware on the NAS (after it's too late and destroys your way to ever get your data back..(see early deadbolt victims)

- QuFirewall warns about DHCP traffic and locks users out of their own NAS (Many threads about it)

So..yes..they are all BOGUS
cdzo72
Starting out

Post by cdzo72 »

Well heck, can't argue with any of that. I understand where you're coming from... Thanks for your patience and advice!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”