[HOW-TO] A how to guide for ARM & Intel NAS servers

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
kenhag
Starting out

Re: [HOW-TO] A how to guide for TS-x09 NAS servers

Post by kenhag »

Don, thanks for putting together this document! Keep up the good work!
It is much appreciated by all of us and we are impatiently waiting for the next version :D

/Kent
------------------------------------------------------------------
QNAP TS-509Pro, Firmware version: 4.1.0
5 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
faxao
Starting out

Post by faxao »

Brilliant Don........thank very much for sharing all this ! :D
ansj64
Know my way around

Post by ansj64 »

Hi Don

This guide is very useful for people who have some semblance of knowledge in server management. Unfortunately, I am a newbie in this regard. Was wondering if there is a "layman's" guide or a newbie's guide to network servers for people like me.
One of my frustrations is my inability to access the other share folders. I keep getting the message that I can't access it. The only share folder I can access is the PUBLIC folder. I blame this on my non-understanding of the access privileges in NAS servers.

Antonio Sy
A Super newbie
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Hi Antonio,

No guide like that that I know of. I suggest you search the forums for an answer. Chances are it's already been posted. Otherwise start a new thread in the appropriate forum and give and much info as possible (model, firmware, pc os, error messages, etc).

Don
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Hi Don,

You cannot be thanked enough for putting up such a great guide for Qnap owners! So thank you again and hopefully the next version will be released soon. :wink:
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Hi PowerMAC,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a little backed up but hope to have the next version out soon.

Don

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
Don
Guru

Re: [HOW-TO] A how to guide for ARM & Intel NAS servers

Post by Don »

Hi All,

It took me a little longer than I had hoped but I finally posted the updated version of my How-to-Guide. V1.2 is available for download from the first post in this thread. It has lots of new content, addresses the ARM and Intel NAS models, and was reformatted for a nicer look and for double sided printing.

I have tried to make sure everything in the document is accurate but if you find any mistakes please let me know and I will correct them. I hope you all find it useful.

Don

Manni
Easy as a breeze

Post by Manni »

Hi Don, this is great, thanks!
PowerMAC
Been there, done that

Post by PowerMAC »

Hi Don,

Thank you for all your time and effort that you have put in this updated version of the guide. I'm reading it with great interest.
It's a very useful contribution for the QNAP community, so stick around man. All the best.

-PM
“Count the black dots, recount to confirm…” http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_scGrid/index.html
nuspieds
Know my way around

Post by nuspieds »

You original guide was invaluable to me when I first got my TS-509.

Thanks for the update. Excellent work and I'm sure it is appreciated by all.

Best regards,
Nusaram
thunderace1k
Know my way around

Post by thunderace1k »

Thanks you, Don, for this very helpfull work.
River Trent
Know my way around

Post by River Trent »

Thanks for this, just waiting on my QNAP to arrive, will read up first!
jtpursley
New here

Post by jtpursley »

Don,

Wanted to say thanks for the hard work on this, it helped me a great deal and eased the initial fears of jumping into my initial configuration and setup.

Jeff
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Jeff,

You are welcome and welcome to the forums!

Don

readme3x
New here

Post by readme3x »

Don, I had a look at your guide and I must complement you on a very nice job. This seems to be quite complete and will answer the most common questions and many more. You're a real asset to this community and your work is very appreciated.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”