[HOW-TO] A how to guide for ARM & Intel NAS servers

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Don
Guru

Re: [HOW-TO] A how to guide for ARM & Intel NAS servers

Post by Don »

You are welcome
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
private4587
New here

Post by private4587 »

Don may I first off say whata great guide it is helping me a great deal. I have one question that I hope you can answer. On page 38 you mention that in port forwarding to pick an obtuse number for the outside and have that redirected say to 21 for FTP. Well that has thrown me, I have a BT Homehub 3 and in the section for port forwarding you place the port number and then there is a place for translate to. Is this where i place the correct port number on my NAS.
Again a great piece.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I don't know anyting about the BT Homehub 3 but it sounds like the translate to is the internal port address.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
CAMS
New here

Post by CAMS »

fcroce
Starting out

Post by fcroce »

Thank you!
ampapa
Know my way around

Post by ampapa »

Love the guide! keep up the great work.

A couple of questions if I may?

- What's the purpose of modding the profile for the session?

- I'm really to trying to get my head around the FTP portion of the NAS and am a bit concerned about the security. I'm currently running Ubuntu with proftp and am just curious what the difference is between it and the NAS? I though I read somewhere that the users on the NAS were somehow being broadcast in the open, is this true?

- Any changes made to the autorun.sh script are permenant even after reboot if I read your guide correctly, is that the case?

Thanks,
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

ampapa wrote:Love the guide! keep up the great work.

A couple of questions if I may?

- What's the purpose of modding the profile for the session?
In case you want to add settings like variables that are not part of the profile supplied.
ampapa wrote:- I'm really to trying to get my head around the FTP portion of the NAS and am a bit concerned about the security. I'm currently running Ubuntu with proftp and am just curious what the difference is between it and the NAS? I though I read somewhere that the users on the NAS were somehow being broadcast in the open, is this true?
Broadcast in the open? Not sure what you mean in reference to FTP.
ampapa wrote:- Any changes made to the autorun.sh script are permenant even after reboot if I read your guide correctly, is that the case?
Yes
ampapa wrote:Thanks,

ampapa
Know my way around

Post by ampapa »

Thanks for the reply Don.

I was referring to this link (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=179557) in which you had also commented about the users being broadcast... is there really a security issue there or is that mainly in the case of LDAP/AD integration? I'm not really sure how that information could be broadcast which is why I mentioned it.

I was following your suggestions in setting up my shares but find that I can't FTP into their shares for some reason, even as the admin. the best I've been able to do is FTP into the root directory where the default shares are setup, any thoughts as to wha tI might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I don't see anything in there where I say users are broadcast.

ampapa
Know my way around

Post by ampapa »

Didn't mean to imply/say that you had said it broadcasted just that someone else was making that point. I was just inquiring as to the validity of that question and thought you had some insight.

Thanks,
poseidon77
First post

Post by poseidon77 »

Thanks for sharing
waninae39
Know my way around

Post by waninae39 »

Excellent how to guide

keep up the good work
Current firmware version:
TS-670pro 4.3.3 6 x 3TB WB RED
TS-669pro 4.3.3 6 x 6TB WB RED
All are running etx4, and running Raid6.
The 669 has 6x 3tb WD red HD, the 439 has 4x 2TB WD black HD,

commercial hardware firewall and commercial router
VOIP hard and soft client with SIP digital and analog telco trunk
NAS & all clients: 1Gbit/s with dual trunk ports
mutterburra
Starting out

Post by mutterburra »

I can't mount that img file what do I need to open it.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

What IMG file?

ccondrup
New here

Post by ccondrup »

Thank you for making this, much appreciated!
As can be expected there are a few dead links, for instance all the screens for QlogR and the vi command sheet.
All in all, the document is still hugely relevant, a pleasant surprise. Thanks again!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”