Web Interface stuck at Loading

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
facet41
New here

Web Interface stuck at Loading

Post by facet41 »

Hi,
I have a TS-459 Pro that I can not get in to the web interface.
The web page prompts for username and password and then sits on the loading screen forever.
I have used multiple browsers with and without compatibility mode and two PC's clearing the cache constantly.
I checked the disk following the instructions on the following page and no change.
http://dev.mensfeld.pl/2013/08/qnap-nas ... ount-disk/
I upgraded the firmware to the latest version following the instructions on the following page but no change.
http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware
The NAS is still operational and I can see it on Q Center from another NAS but I can not get in to the web interface.
I can use the web interface on a TS-669 Pro (obviously where Q Center is running) on the same PC's with no trouble.
Any ideas?
schumaku
Guru

Re: Web Interface stuck at Loading

Post by schumaku »

Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum!

Please always add the QTS version and build number. On one hand, the "latest version" can have many interpretations, and this can change every hour or day - while this thread will remain visible for many more years to come.
facet41 wrote:I checked the disk following the instructions on the following page and no change.
http://dev.mensfeld.pl/2013/08/qnap-nas ... ount-disk/
What for - experienced issues like "File System not clean. Examination failed (Cannot unmount disk)" on running file system checks?

Same issue when using a different user account for the QTS desktop login?
facet41
New here

Post by facet41 »

Hi schumaku,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
The current firmware is 4.2.0 build 20160311 (previously it was on 4.2.0 build 0130) and actually the model is a TS-459 Pro+ (although I don't know if that makes much difference).
There are only two users and I had tried both with no success.
I had no issues running the file system checks. Although in hindsight I should have probably captured the output but I really thought that it would fix it.
In full disclosure I haven't had a look at the GUI on this unit for a little while (a couple of months) and it was only because my TS-669 Pro (that has SNMP email reporting setup) had reported a power outage that I went to check in the first place with the TS-459 Pro+ with the intention of doing a web based file system check.
Last night I also tried a 'Basic system reset (3 sec)' to see if that would make any difference but no such luck.
disenter
Getting the hang of things

Post by disenter »

Sorry to hijack, but I am also experiencing a similar issue with my TVS-663, running firmware 4.2.0.
I can get to the login page, but after logging in, it is 'loading' forever and never getting there.
I noticed that the numbers normally over the status icons were on the wrong side of the screen, and 'restoring' my browser so it wasn't full screen corrected that, so my menu icon returned and i could use apps and the control panel from there then, but it was still stuck 'loading' forever, and my desktop icons would not load.
I have tried two different browsers, cleared their historys / cache, from their own settings, and via windows cleanup manager, and by CLI, as well as flushing dns cache. Nothing works.
I have also replicated the issue by logging in (or attempting to) with my iphone 6 plus, and clearing safari's cache as well. Same deal... So I am fairly confident it isn't my PC's issue.

Quite frustrating and a little worying!
Please help us resolve this issue ASAP!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

disenter wrote:I can get to the login page, but after logging in, it is 'loading' forever and never getting there.
->
schumaku wrote:Same issue when using a different user account for the QTS desktop login?
disenter wrote:Please help us resolve this issue ASAP!
This is a community forum - we can try our best - however, this is not a formal QNAP support channel.
disenter

Post by disenter »

Hi.
I understand it's not a 'formal' channel. I have lodged a support ticket also. They advised that this issue should have been corrected with the last firmware update. However I've already installed that, and it hasn't fixed it.
Just tried a user account, and it seems to work OK. So it would seem to be limited to that account.
Unfortunately, it is the admin account :(
Any idea's?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

disenter wrote: They advised that this issue should have been corrected with the last firmware update. However I've already installed that, and it hasn't fixed it.
Whatever the last is ...

TVS-463/TVS-663/TVS-863/TVS-863+ 4.2.1 build 20160419 Effective date 2016/04/20
TVS-463/TVS-663/TVS-863/TVS-863+ 4.2.0 build 20160311 Effective date 2016/03/14
disenter wrote:Just tried a user account, and it seems to work OK. So it would seem to be limited to that account.
Unfortunately, it is the admin account
Remove the QTS desktop profile for the admin user:

[~] # rm /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/.qos_config/users/admin/config

This will reset the QTS desktop to the defaults.

Now try again with admin.

Enjoy!

-Kurt.
gpop
New here

Post by gpop »

Hey I have an 859 with the same issue (just updated firmware). Removing that config file per your suggestion does make it pop up more notifications on the right hand side after login, but aside from that, it still sits at the Loading... animation forever.

Does the web interface have any logs?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

gpop wrote:Hey I have an 859 with the same issue (just updated firmware). Removing that config file per your suggestion does make it pop up more notifications on the right hand side after login, but aside from that, it still sits at the Loading... animation forever.
Other users are able to login to the QTS desktop?
lillis
Starting out

Post by lillis »

disenter wrote:I noticed that the numbers normally over the status icons were on the wrong side of the screen, and 'restoring' my browser so it wasn't full screen corrected that, so my menu icon returned and i could use apps and the control panel from there then,
Interesting, I have the exact same issue, and making the web browser window smaller and then full size again gets all my icons back. I'm now running 4.2.1 on my 659 PRO+

I've had this issue for a long time and have always had to downgrade back to 4.0.7 where everything works again. But with the window size it is the first time I actually get my icons back.
disenter

Post by disenter »

Qnap engineers fixed it. I allowed them remote access where they played around for a couple of sessions until coming to the same conclusion I had. Something with the user profile was screwed, as other user logins worked perfectly.
What they said was there is a bug where to many desktop icons can cause this (even though there are 3 desktops and I hadn't filled up more than 1 of them with icons!) and when I thought about it, I remembered somehow accidentally copying an icon and so there was two of the same. Then I had to go and do something and the next time I logged in, it was loading forever

I was told I could find it here:

/etc/config/.qos_config/users

But actually found it here:

/mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/.qos_config/users/**

One can edit the files down so as to remove a few icons and it should fix it.

It has for mine.

The engineers also said it will be corrected permanently in 4.2.2
disenter

Post by disenter »

schumaku wrote:
disenter wrote: They advised that this issue should have been corrected with the last firmware update. However I've already installed that, and it hasn't fixed it.
Whatever the last is ...

TVS-463/TVS-663/TVS-863/TVS-863+ 4.2.1 build 20160419 Effective date 2016/04/20
TVS-463/TVS-663/TVS-863/TVS-863+ 4.2.0 build 20160311 Effective date 2016/03/14
disenter wrote:Just tried a user account, and it seems to work OK. So it would seem to be limited to that account.
Unfortunately, it is the admin account
Remove the QTS desktop profile for the admin user:

Now try again with admin.

Enjoy!

-Kurt.
Thanks Kurt. Hadn't actually seen this when I wrote the above!
That's almost what was done but just edited the file for the desktop to remove some icons. Same same ;)
Hopefully it is properly corrected in 4.2.2.
Seems fairly silly to have 3 desktops and yet filling one creates this issue *laughs*
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

schumaku wrote:Remove the QTS desktop profile for the admin user:
Where do you input this command line?

disenter wrote:Seems fairly silly to have 3 desktops and yet filling one creates this issue
How could I move icons between these 3 desktops?
dominpa
First post

Post by dominpa »

Hello,
My Web Interface stucks too.
I've just changed all hard disk then followed init procedures.
I can acceed from Windows 10 but when I try to run web interface it stucks after I push login button.
(Any reaction if I insert a bad password!!!)

I was following shumaku's procedure but I have only /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/.qos_config
Under .qos_config I can see /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/.qos_config/login.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Paolo
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The old (and fixed a long time ago) bug of the broken desktop config can't hit you on a scratch installed NAS.

I'd suggest wiping the HDD completely (ie. on another computer) removing all partitions (not format it), and re-install from scratch.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”