[Solved] External USB not visible on file station

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Danixu86
Starting out

[Solved] External USB not visible on file station

Post by Danixu86 »

Hi, first of all i'm sorry for my english.

Today I've tried to copy some files to an external USB drive, but the drive don't appear on File Station. When i connect the drive to USB, the web interface shows a message saying that is detected and even is showed in external devices (with used and free space), but is not showed on File Station.

I've executed the mount command through ssh and is there, and even i can enter, list the content and copy files, then i think is working fine..

Code: Select all

/dev/sdf1 on /share/external/DEV3301_1 type ufsd (rw,iocharset=utf8,dmask=0000,fmask=0111,force)
/share/external/DEV3301_1 on /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/share/external/DEV3301_1 type none (rw,bind)
/share/external/DEV3301_1 on /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/CodexPack/mnt/share/external/DEV3301_1 type none (rw,bind)
I've tested to link the external device to a folder in internal drive and I can see the data in File Station, but if every time I insert an external drive I've to link the folder...

Code: Select all

ln -s /share/external/DEV3301_1/ /share/CACHEDEV2_DATA/External
I've a Qnap TS-451 and is in latest version (4.2.1). The external drive is a Sandisk pendrive 64GB and in NTFS format.

How i can fix this problem?. Thanks!!
Last edited by Danixu86 on Thu May 12, 2016 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
monellrt
Know my way around

Re: External USB not visible on file station

Post by monellrt »

I also have a TS-451 and use an external drive. In all cases when I attach the device a box will come up that asks me "An external device has been detected. What do you want to do?" One of the options are to open and view files using file station. You could select that and see what happens, but I just hit cancel and I can still access the external drive via file station. This same situation works on any of the available USB ports on the NAS. Make sure that you are looking far enough down on the left column in file station to see your external drive/device.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I believe by default only admin has access to external drives. So if you are logging in as other than admin then you won't have access until your give access to the users that require access. If you label the drive every time it is inserted it will remember the shares and permissions.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Danixu86
Starting out

Post by Danixu86 »

Thanks but i've tried to search the drive by multiples ways but no luck, it still no working (only works through shell).

When I attach the USB I got a popup asking me if I want to use that drive as Baskup (Backup Station) or see external drives configurations (nothing about explore the drive). On left column in file station i get the three internal partitions I have, shared links, share with me (maybe a bad traslation to spanish and want to mean "shared with me") and Recycle Bin.

I've tried a 4GB pendrive in FAT32 format but same behaviour. When i open the external devices menu and I press into the drive then the File Explorer is oppened, but on system drive instead the pendrive.

Greetings!!

EDIT:

Thanks Don, that's right. I've logged in as Admin and here's the drive. My other user is administrator too, but looks like don't care.

Greetings!!
Don
Guru

Re: [Solved] External USB not visible on file station

Post by Don »

That is correct. Only the "admin" user has access by default.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Kevin.win7
New here

Post by Kevin.win7 »

Hi, you may check the setting of 'usbdisk1' in share folder. The privilege of unregistered visitor should be 'no limit'.
Then you can find usbdisk1 show up in File Station.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

You're a little late. This was solved 17 months ago. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MrPRSto
New here

Post by MrPRSto »

I was having the same issue, TS-451+ saw my external USB 3.1 drive when connected to the USB 2.0 ports but not when it was connected to the USB 3.0 ports. The file system on my external drive was exFAT, I reformatted to NTFS and the NAS now sees the external drive on all USB ports.
JSharp
First post

Post by JSharp »

Don wrote: Thu May 12, 2016 4:20 am I believe by default only admin has access to external drives. So if you are logging in as other than admin then you won't have access until your give access to the users that require access. If you label the drive every time it is inserted it will remember the shares and permissions.
Thanks for the info, I logged in to my Filestation and noticed it was not there. So I went into users and was able to change/grant access to the drive for the other admin staff. From there I was able to set up the Job.
RobynHood
New here

Post by RobynHood »

Thread much appreciated.

Small addition that after following instructions on this thread, I also needed to rename the external USB drive volume name to eliminate illegal characters and length (" " and "," and >32 characters in my case). Behavior presented as recognizing external drive in Storage but neither File Manager or HBS being able to access/list. Some unknown previous firmware allowed, but latest did not.

TS-453 Pro
16GB Memory

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”