Recovering system from hack attack procedure??

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Deckart
Starting out

Recovering system from hack attack procedure??

Post by Deckart »

Hi,

My RAID1 2hdd nas was attacked and installed a kind of soft which delete/encrypted my data inside. Fortunately I realized very soon and unplug the power. What I need is a procedure to startup the nas avoiding the autoload of the several startup programs or demons, one o many of them are the hacking programs, and install a new fresh firm from the Finder, obviously maintaining my data.

I've search this subject in the forum but without success on how to proceed.

Regards
Model: HS-210
FW Version 4.2.4
HDD Model: WD RED
HDD Capacity: 6TB in RAID 1 conf.
CylonCenturion

Re: Recovering system from hack attack procedure??

Post by CylonCenturion »

Deckart wrote:Hi,

My RAID1 2hdd nas was attacked and installed a kind of soft which delete/encrypted my data inside. Fortunately I realized very soon and unplug the power. What I need is a procedure to startup the nas avoiding the autoload of the several startup programs or demons, one o many of them are the hacking programs, and install a new fresh firm from the Finder, obviously maintaining my data.

I've search this subject in the forum but without success on how to proceed.

Regards
I recommend to start from scratch.
Meaning remove everything . Are you willing to do that?

You should have a backup of all your sensitive data.
Deckart
Starting out

Post by Deckart »

Obviously I try to avoid it
FW Version 4.2.4
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

What do you want to accomplish?

Your NAS is hacked, and therefore no more reliable to use it, and to be exposed on the internet.
Deckart
Starting out

Post by Deckart »

Well, as I described I want to preserve my data (encrypted or not) in /Share/MD0_DATA , and start with a fresh installation of firm
FW Version 4.2.4
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

Deckart wrote:Well, as I described I want to preserve my data (encrypted or not) in /Share/MD0_DATA , and start with a fresh installation of firm
Allright, i understand it.
However, do you trust your NAS after the hack?

So i recommend to make a backup of your important data, start all over from scratch, and install FW 4.3.2B20170203
I recommend as well to use a strong password for user admin.

You may install FW 4.3.3B0095

The goal is to retain the trustworthy of the NAS.
Deckart
Starting out

Post by Deckart »

Yes, this is what i want to do, but how?

Since the disks are part of RAID1, I cannot mount them individually as any other hdd on other host with the typical recovery/backup utilities, can I?

If I could recover all my /share/md0_data on other hdd I will format both disks of raid1 and start a new fresh installataion
FW Version 4.2.4
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

Deckart wrote:Yes, this is what i want to do, but how?

Since the disks are part of RAID1, I cannot mount them individually as any other hdd on other host with the typical recovery/backup utilities, can I?

If I could recover all my /share/md0_data on other hdd I will format both disks of raid1 and start a new fresh installataion
Can you mount a USb disk to the NAS, and move your data to that disk?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Deckart wrote:Since the disks are part of RAID1, I cannot mount them individually as any other hdd on other host with the typical recovery/backup utilities, can I?
Since HS-210 is a cat1 model I think you can mount the disk in just about any Linux machine. Your data should be in the largest partition.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

CylonCenturion wrote:You may install FW 4.3.3B0095
QTS 4.3 is still in beta testing and therefore not recommended for general use.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

P3R wrote:
CylonCenturion wrote:You may install FW 4.3.3B0095
QTS 4.3 is still in beta testing and therefore not recommended for general use.
Clear, Thanks
Deckart
Starting out

Post by Deckart »

I already tried to mount on another host, but since each raid1 disk is part of the raid, is not possible to mount it individually, at least with RedoBackup, which inform properly that the disk is part of a raid1, and therefore in not possible to mount it as any classic spare disk.
FW Version 4.2.4
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Deckart wrote:...at least with RedoBackup...
I know nothing of that program.
...which inform properly that the disk is part of a raid1, and therefore in not possible to mount it as any classic spare disk.
It's been a very long time since I did it and may remember wrong but I'm pretty sure I did it with a single RAID 1 disk on Linux.

Beemer2
Easy as a breeze

Post by Beemer2 »

Deckart,

Two weeks ago I had exactly the same type of malware. It was the kind that places a file called Photo.scr in every MultiMedia folder. There also was numerous instances of "Info.zip".

Because of syncing I had many of these files in my Windows computer.

I spent many hours searching and deleting all these. I also use regedit to seek out any reference to these names. They kept returning but after manually updating the QNAP antivirus and my desktop AVG I was able to stop them returning.

I believe the problem was a type called a zero day virus where it is able to infect before the AV programs are updated especially as my QNAP runs continuously.

The only port I had opened was 443 to allow SSL.

Perhaps the one thing that saved me from real pain was that I never did open any of the Photo.scr or zip files.

Hope this helps a little,

Ian
TS-473A, 32GB, 4x4TB, Raid5, 12GB Red Plus backup
Deckart
Starting out

Post by Deckart »

P3R wrote:
Deckart wrote:...at least with RedoBackup...
I know nothing of that program.
...which inform properly that the disk is part of a raid1, and therefore in not possible to mount it as any classic spare disk.
It's been a very long time since I did it and may remember wrong but I'm pretty sure I did it with a single RAID 1 disk on Linux.
I'll try with another programs, thanks
FW Version 4.2.4

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”