Day light saving time isn't applied. It's a bit of a mess.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
TeraBit
Getting the hang of things

Day light saving time isn't applied. It's a bit of a mess.

Post by TeraBit »

As you can see in these images, day light saving time started at 2am today. It is now 19:20 but QTS shows time as 18:20.
Also:

Code: Select all

[~] #
[~] # date
Fri Mar 24 18:20:56 IDT 2017
[~] #
Which is wrong. Not only the time, but the time zone is wrong. It is showing IST 18:20 where it should show now 19:20 IDT.

Any suggestions, aside from setting it manually?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QTS 5.0.0.1850
TS-251+ with 2x2TB WD Red / Two static volumes (system and backup) for a simple home setup.
TeraBit

Re: Day light saving time isn't applied. It's a bit of a mess.

Post by TeraBit »

OK, after hitting the update button on the Time tab it got sorted.
Why is that? Why didn't it update automatically?
QTS 5.0.0.1850
TS-251+ with 2x2TB WD Red / Two static volumes (system and backup) for a simple home setup.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TeraBit wrote:Any suggestions, aside from setting it manually?
Set the time synchronization frequency (Time interval) to the lowest possible, like 1 hour. That will not only resolve this issue but will also improve the time accuracy on your NAS long term.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
TeraBit

Post by TeraBit »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those should be two separate things. The frequency you poll the NTP server and how the clock adjusts to day light saving time.
I don't think it's a good idea to hammer the server every hour. I'm running a home NAS, not a GPS satellite or nuclear power plant.

I switched it to once every 24hrs, same as my router, which, incidentally, switched automatically to day light savings time as it was supposed to.
QTS 5.0.0.1850
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

TeraBit wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but those should be two separate things. The frequency you poll the NTP server and how the clock adjusts to day light saving time.
I'm not aware of any details but in light of the NTP-related forum posts the last few hours, it seems that Qnaps only updates their time when polling the time server. Right or wrong that seems to be the way it's working right now.
I don't think it's a good idea to hammer the server every hour.
Since the server you use seems to be open for anyone within Israel I would assume that it's provisioned to handle that traffic with a healthy margin. I can assure you that you changing from 7 days to 1 day or even the 1 hour that I suggested won't be noticed at all by the server administrators. If the NTP server long-term have to much load, the staff at a national internet exchange definitely have the knowledge to solve that.

If you're still worried about "hammering the server", I would suggest that you instead use the recommended NTP pool for your country which is asia.pool.ntp.org. NTP pools are what most home users use.
I'm running a home NAS, not a GPS satellite or nuclear power plant.
I'm well aware of that. If you did, you wouldn't be using a publicly accessible stratum 2 NTP server as your time source. :wink:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Once more for the records: NTP has absolute nothing in mind with time zones, with DST. NTP does work on universal time (GMT, UTZ, ...).

The local time zone is configured by the user, the DST is supposed to be changed automatically based on some internal tables and tzdata. The change is supposed to happen automatically - if it does not switch automatically, and there would be more records from Israel, something might be broken and NAP has to investigate.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”