OpenVPN remote connection help

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
brucey_72
New here

OpenVPN remote connection help

Post by brucey_72 »

Hi,

So I new to setting up a NAS, so bear with me. I purchased a TS-253A and I wish to be able to access it remotely through OpenVPN. Currently I have no issue connecting through OpenVPN via ethernet connection. When I attempt to connect via wifi on the same router through the same laptop, it is unable to complete the process. I have tried to access through QNAP cloud connect, when it has authorized my connection it asks for a username and password once again. None of the usernames or passwords I have set up work.

When I attempt to access remotely it does the same thing, or does not allow me to connect what so ever.

I would like to note though that I am able to access the drive through PPTP connection through all available methods, but would prefer a OpenVPN connection.

And my last question, how do I prevent the NAS being connected via wifi (in windows explorer is shows up in the Network tab, but will ask for a username and password when connecting) and only through VPN?

Cheers
schumaku
Guru

Re: OpenVPN remote connection help

Post by schumaku »

Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum!

Is the port (default 1194/UDP) NATed and port forwarded forwarded on the router?

Is there no OpenVPN implementation probably interfering with the port forwarding on the router, using the same default port and protocol?
brucey_72 wrote:And my last question, how do I prevent the NAS being connected via wifi (in windows explorer is shows up in the Network tab, but will ask for a username and password when connecting) and only through VPN?
Not sue why you want to do this ... on the same (W)LAN this is definitively the preferred way to access the NAS. In a properly set-up workgroup, with the same username and password on the Window system and on the NAS, no tricks are required ... and no additional authentication is required.

One point - I hope you have not tried to nice-ify things and have put the OpenVPN address pool into (or overlapping with) the same subnet as any other network interface, or any other VPN address pool.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

If your Open VPN address pool were in a different subnet, what problems might that cause?
brucey_72
New here

Post by brucey_72 »

yes I have port forwarded 1194 UDP and it is NATed.

I am not sure of your second question. I don't see why there would be... unless my PPTP connection is interfering with it? Like I said I am quite the newbie when it comes to understanding this sort of stuff.

No the address pool is not using the same subent as any other address pool. The PPTP VPN using an entirely different range, 10.1.0.x the Open is 10.8.0.x

I have tried more ideas but still can't get the openvpn client to connect remotely or via wifi. Is there anything else you suggest or try

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”