"unallowed" outgoing traffic

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
trustno1foxm
New here

"unallowed" outgoing traffic

Post by trustno1foxm »

Hello!

I am having a TS-253A NAS and my firewall logs a lot of outgoing traffic from my NAS. It contacts 2 ip addresses from akamai and I want to stop that traffic. Destination Port=443. Ideas how to?
Thx a lot!

so long
dolbyman
Guru

Re: "unallowed" outgoing traffic

Post by dolbyman »

the online check ?

there was someone a month ago that was also bugged by the akamai traffi
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

dolbyman wrote:there was someone a month ago that was also bugged by the akamai traffi
Here it is: viewtopic.php?p=605485#p605485

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
trustno1foxm
New here

Post by trustno1foxm »

Hello, thx!

Which online check? I didn't check "check firmware at login". And the linked thread doesn't help me, because it's not the ntp server. It's not every minute, its every second that the NAS contacts that ip address.

thx in advance!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

If your firewall is logging outgoing traffic, and you don't want to allow that, then set your firewall to block traffic to that specific IP:port address. That's what a firewall is for. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

There can be several connections established by the QTS NAS ... firmware update checks, App Center App update checks, ...

Is this thread relarted to the post on the German QNAPclub forum -> https://forum.qnapclub.de/thread/43559- ... post256505 ?
trustno1foxm
New here

Post by trustno1foxm »

@oneCD: Thx, but I would prefer to stop that unwanted network traffic, because its useless. Is there a cron job? crontab -l doesn't show me an update task.

@schumaku: yes it is. If it's an update check, its horrible, because every second it's looking for an update?

How to deactivate that unwanted traffic? :/
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

trustno1foxm wrote:@schumaku: yes it is.
Ok, Christian asked me while I was on the road today.
trustno1foxm wrote:If it's an update check, its horrible, because every second it's looking for an update?
Of course the update checks are not done every second, this would killing the feeds servers of course. Can't say what will happen if there is an issue, being with connectivity (blocked?), a server problem, ...¨

As you say it's repeated very quickly, you might start investigating the system -

[~] # lsof | grep TCP | grep 443 > x.x
[~] # more x.x

Here I would guess we cna see the binary and the PID attemting to call out that intensive.
trustno1foxm
New here

Post by trustno1foxm »

The problem was/is that DNS requests have been allowed, but all other traffic not.

so long

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”