"soft" change of system drive?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Viridel
Getting the hang of things

"soft" change of system drive?

Post by Viridel »

My current system drive is also the one that gets the most robust use, which creates unnecessary risk of failure. I would live to move my System Disk onto my Backup drive - which has a significantly lower use-rate. Is there any way to do this via the browser-based Admin panel?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: "soft" change of system drive?

Post by dolbyman »

not sure what and where your backup drive is

but if you use a redundant drive setup at the beginning, then the system is spread across all disks

without more details about the configuration, nas model and firmware it is very hard to help
Viridel

Post by Viridel »

Converting from a TS-251 to a TS-451+. Currently the 4Tb Transmission drive is in Slot-1, therefore the System Disk. I would like to move that into Bay 2 (or whatever) and use my 1Tb Backup drive in Bay 1 as the System Drive - so that if the Transmission drive fails from overuse (and it's been going for ~5 years, so it's a distinct possibility sooner than later), then I haven't blown my NAS config.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

use the move to convert from single drive to a RAID (I would suggest 5) and all those issues are gone
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Viridel wrote:Is there any way to do this via the browser-based Admin panel?
Not that I'm aware of.

That's one of the reasons RAID 1, 5, 6 or 10 is strongly recommended for at least the system volume.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Viridel

Post by Viridel »

P3R wrote:
Viridel wrote:Is there any way to do this via the browser-based Admin panel?
Not that I'm aware of.

That's one of the reasons RAID 1, 5, 6 or 10 is strongly recommended for at least the system volume.
So given that Raid5 requires 3 drives, on a 251 model, how would one go about backing up the system drive?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Viridel wrote:So given that Raid5 requires 3 drives, on a 251 model,...
You can't have 3 disks in a 251 but since you mentioned a TS-451+ previously I would guess that's what you're talking about here?
...how would one go about backing up the system drive?
As far as I know there is no automatic procedure to do that completely.

You can backup the configuration settings (System Settings, Backup/Restore) but that's just the most basic settings. All apps and their indivudal configurations you need to backup manually!

What you could do (but as I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, it may not be right for you):
1. Follow the instructions for System Migration and move the disks from the TS-251 to the TS-451+
2. Follow the instructions for Expanding RAID Group Capacity and migrate the single disk system volume to RAID 1 by adding a disk
3. Follow the instructions for Expanding RAID Group Capacity and migrate the RAID 1 system volume to RAID 5 by adding a disk

You can search the online documentation correct for your Qnap model and QTS firmware version used to find the exact instructions for all the higlighted procedures above.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”