ts-453A HDMI setup

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
vernfortuin
New here

ts-453A HDMI setup

Post by vernfortuin »

Got a TS-453A and am doing a setup. Can someone explain the dual HDMI functionality. I know that only one can be used at a time and that the the two main options are the linux desktop and HD station. How would you wire this up? One HDMI to the TV for playing media and one to a computer monitor? Have been strugling with this. To add to the problem i tried connecting the HDMI through my denon amplifier and it doesn't seem to like this. A direct connection to my TV seemed to fix it.
I would like to connect one HDMI to a monitor and one to my amplifier to be switched to my TV for media playing. Is this configuration possible and if so can someone step me through it please.
Any assistance or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Regards,
Vern Fortuin
dolbyman
Guru

Re: ts-453A HDMI setup

Post by dolbyman »

Media playback with QNAP is a can or worms right now .. due to the lack of official KODI (codec license issues)

If you search the forums, there is couple of people that HAD HDMI handshake issues with AVR's in the chain. To save you from grief, go with DLNA streaming (KODI or other apps like infuse) or KODI SMB streaming. Less trouble.
vernfortuin
New here

Post by vernfortuin »

Thanks for responding. Got the HDMI to work with direct connection to the TV so thats ok. Just need to know what to expect from the HDMI setup. If i am feeding the TV with a HDMI signal from one HDMI port what is on the other HDMI port. QNAP doesn't really detail what the HDMI system can do and how they interact. They just state that you cant have both operating at the same time. One being HD station and the other Linux desktop. What is the physical setup and sequence of switching that is required to go from watching movies throught HDMI to TV; to enabling desktop linux. I will examine DLNA using PLEX OR KODI as another option but really i bought this unit to use the HDMI functionality.
The setup i started with is HDMI 1 to a DVI switch (Monitor shared with existing computer). HDMI 2 to the Amplifier/TV. When operating with linux i would use the DVI switch to route the HDMI signal to the monitor. When i want to use HD station i would use the DVI switch to isolate the LINUX feed to the moitor thereby freeing up the HDMI 2 to feed the amplifier/TV. This i thought would satisfy the requirement that only one HDMI could be used at a time. Am i missing something here. It would be good to get a connection diagram of how a user could configure a setup to achieve this outcome. I believe it can do it but i haven't cracked the correct configuration yet.
Vern Fortuin
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

I bought my TVS-682T with the exact same intent: Playing 4K video directly to the 4K TV via the HDMI 2.0 port. Video playback is fine, but I am struggling getting a proper audio signal from the other HDMI (1.4) ports. Experimenting with converters. @dolbyman is correct that this is a mess right now, but QNAP including improved remotes with their new units tells me they are developing with the home theater market more in mind.

Just my 4 1/2 cents...
~ kalantan ~
amracks
First post

Post by amracks »

I just bought a TS-451+ and have the exact same problem with my Denon HDMI Receiver. I'm glad its not just me.

The Qnap can't negotiate the HDMI display output when going through the receiver, and I just get a "no signal/weak signal" display on the TV. Plugging directly to the TV works, but then I do not get 5.1 audio because HDMI does not allow forwarding any audio except stereo, from what I understand.

I'm going to have to use a different device to run Kodi, and just use DLNA and SMB to access the QNAP, making the HDMI port on the QNAP pretty much worthless to me.
swisskiltbear
New here

Post by swisskiltbear »

Hmm, my new TS-653B seems to get along just fine with my Pioneer VSX-924. No audio or video grief, but i'm only using 1080p. Kodi 17.5 (Qnapclub repo, Father Mande) Krypton also runs fine with its own library or with Emby, Plex integration is still a cruel joke, though. audio quality (AC3 5.1, DTS, DTS-HD, TueHD,even AAC5.1) is fine, video quality is fne as well, My receiver is complaning more about the HDMI Signal from my Samsung Cable Box (frankensteined by Liberty Media into a sluggish atrocity with an UX straight from Usability Hell they call Horizon).
HD-Station itself (3.1C) is more of an issue, prone to freezes, spontaneus restarts and black screens while sitting idle, displaying the Desktop. It's also a lottery startng HD Station up wich throws either a black screen, refuses to start at all (HDMI-Out) or quite obviously crashes, showing as "disabled" in the control panel. the connected HDMI device seems to have no influence on this, I've tested it with three different TVs (older, dumb Samsung LCD, Samsung Smart TV (2015 model), LG Android TV (2016), three different computer monitors (HP Dreamcolor z32 32" UHD, HP EliteDisplay E272, 27" QHD, Dell 24" FHD). The weirdest things that the crashes go away almost completely under load. whhile i run Kodi or Plex Home Theater, I very rarely have to restart it

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”