Replacing a failing hard drive

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Don
Guru

Re: Replacing a failing hard drive

Post by Don »

Replace it after you make a backup.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

I made a backup of everything on the QNAP with the intent of starting fresh. Replaced drives with larger drives. After booting and going into Storage & Snapshots, the drives are recognized. However, when I attempt to create a new Storage Pool, no disks are available to select to add. Not the SSDs either. I’m sure I overlooked something obvious.
~ kalantan ~
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:33 am take the faulty drive out while running (it will beep indicating it is degraded) and then put the new drive in

all while running..do not shut it down
What if you have to shut down the device before installing the new drive?
QNAP TS-EC1079 Pro (4.3.4.0435) | 10 x 4 TB (WD WDC WD40EFRX firmware 82.00A82) | 32 TB RAID-6
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why would you have to shut ot down ?
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

For various reasons. In this case just assume it's necessary to turn it off for 5-7 days after removing the drive.
QNAP TS-EC1079 Pro (4.3.4.0435) | 10 x 4 TB (WD WDC WD40EFRX firmware 82.00A82) | 32 TB RAID-6
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Unclear what the issue is...can't help if information is cryptic
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

The issue is I need to power off the device while waiting for the warranty replacement. I can't be more clear than that.

But the precise reason is not at all relevant. It just needs to happen.

What do I do under these circumstances?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Take the drive out, let the array become degraded, shut the NAS down.

When you have the drive, switch the NAS back on, it will boot up degraded , when fully booted, insert the new drive and the rebuild will start.

That explanation is perfectly reasonable ... it was just not clear from what you had posted.

BTW:be aware that drives often fail after a state switch, so shutting the NAS down for a longer period of time after it ran for months or years, might lead to additional drive failures.
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

Thank you, just what I was looking for :)
apennismightier
Starting out

Post by apennismightier »

Hi all - I found this thread while researching how I could swap out drives.

I currently have my QNAP set up but have not configured any RAIDs, as I have little to no understanding and found that it only complicated things when I first started out and wanted to add/remove drives. Via the directions on how to swap out drives, it says you need to go to the storage pool and select manage, and then you'll have the choice to "Replace Disks One By One" - but unfortunately, it's greyed out for me. I assume because I never set up a RAID array.

Any alternate way to do this so that the new drive will still have the same path as the old one? I did this to another drive and it created an entirely new path. I originally had CACHEDEV1_DATA (CACHEDEV2_DATA and so on to CACHEDEV4_DATA), but when I added the new one, it created CACHEDEV5_DATA. The drives are perfectly fine, I'm just adding more space.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No it will have a new path.. one of the "joys" of single drives vs RAID
apennismightier
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:19 am No it will have a new path.. one of the "joys" of single drives vs RAID
Cool. So I get to rebuild my entire library again. Awesome.
apennismightier
Starting out

So if I was going to do it right, what's the best RAID array that will give me the ability to swap drives in and out if I want to expand on storage?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

all RAIDs with redundancy(copy or parity) allow you to swap one (or more) drives

RAID1,5,6,10
apennismightier
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 am all RAIDs with redundancy(copy or parity) allow you to swap one (or more) drives

RAID1,5,6,10
I started with a RAID 1 with just 2 drives and when I wanted to add more, it said I would have to wipe out all the info on my original drive. I most likely misunderstood something at the time. If that's not the case, then great. The problem is that I want to utilize ALL of the data I have available across all drives, and don't want the entirety of all my data to be subject to corruption if 1 drive is faulty (RAID 0).

I also don't want to cut my space in half by doing a RAID 1 so I can mirror what I have. I just want QNAP to allow me to swap in drives as simply as you would with a regularly formatted NTFS drive on Windows and be assigned the same path. Is that too much to ask?

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”