Replacing a failing hard drive

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Replacing a failing hard drive

Post by dolbyman »

it says it will wipe the info on the drives that you add...a phrase that many before you have misunderstood

replacing a drive only works with data redundancy ..and that will cost storage space

you cant have your cake and eat it
apennismightier
Starting out

Post by apennismightier »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:35 pm it says it will wipe the info on the drives that you add...a phrase that many before you have misunderstood

replacing a drive only works with data redundancy ..and that will cost storage space

you cant have your cake and eat it
I completely understand what wiping the drive means. I just want my newly formatted drive that I add to replace my old one to have the same CACHEDEV()_DATA path. Any RAID config I would use doesn't really fit with my desire to add drives individually and have maximum space while only losing the info on the drive that fails, if one does. RAID 5 comes the closest, and requires at least 3 drives, which I have, but I'm still not sure I want to use a RAID config at all.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You earlier said you were confused by what data is wiped..I just explained it
apennismightier
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:15 am You earlier said you were confused by what data is wiped..I just explained it
I never said I was confused by what data was wiped. I misunderstood how RAID arrays worked and how to set them up. Wiping the data as I added drives was something I didnt want to deal with as I messed with learning RAID at the time. A RAID 5 would let me have my cake and eat it, btw. But I dont have enough storage to backup everything and then build a RAID 5 array using the disks I have.

Back to the issue I'm trying to tackle... I talked with a live rep via QNAP and he walked me through swapping single disks while maintaining the CACHEDEV directory on the new drive. SO it is possible.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

apennismightier wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 am But I dont have enough storage to backup everything and then build a RAID 5 array using the disks I have.
This should be your main concern, unless the data is not important. ALWAYS have external backups of your data
apennismightier
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:42 am
apennismightier wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 am But I dont have enough storage to backup everything and then build a RAID 5 array using the disks I have.
This should be your main concern, unless the data is not important. ALWAYS have external backups of your data
The data isn't important. I just need storage.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”