replacing HDDs on TS-221

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
myotis
Starting out

replacing HDDs on TS-221

Post by myotis »

I currently run 2 x 2tb in Raid 1 on my QNAP TS-221, and I need something bigger.

According to the spec, the max raw capacity is 8TB, I assume this means 2 x 4Tb, can someone confirm this. I have the latest firmware installed 4.3.3.0238

And I also wondered if anyone had any recommendations for which make/model of HDs would be the best choice. This is fro home use so while, I obviously want good drives, but it isn't exactly a "mission critical" set up that's needed and I may not be able to afford the absolute best choice.

Finally, I have read some advice here https://www.roytanck.com/2015/03/05/rep ... -qnap-nas/ on how to replace the HDDs.

Power down, remove one drive, power up so the missing drive is recognised, power down, install new drive, and then power up again to allow the NAS to set up the new drive. I assume you then repeat this exercise to replace the second drive.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Graham
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: replacing HDDs on TS-221

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

check my faq link theres a video tutorial by qnap for replacing hdd :}
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
myotis
Starting out

Post by myotis »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:check my faq link theres a video tutorial by qnap for replacing hdd :}
Many thanks, very useful, and makes more sense than the workaround in my link, but if you read it, you will see it was based on advice from QNap support.

Any thoughts, on the maximum capacity question?, Though in reality I doubt I can afford more than 2 x 4Tb, so maybe its a a non question.

I look forward to looking at your other videos as there is a lot that I could learn there.

Cheers,
Graham
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

myotis wrote:According to the spec, the max raw capacity is 8TB, I assume this means 2 x 4Tb, can someone confirm this. I have the latest firmware installed 4.3.3.0238
It means the usable storage volume so in RAID 1 up to 2*8 TB should work.
And I also wondered if anyone had any recommendations for which make/model of HDs would be the best choice. This is fro home use so while, I obviously want good drives, but it isn't exactly a "mission critical" set up that's needed and I may not be able to afford the absolute best choice.
The Qnap compatibility list is an excellent starting point. I would mainly look at those listed with Rank/Family as: NAS Drives, IronWolf Drives, Deskstar NAS. They offer a great combination of NAS compatibility and very good pricing. I would avoid Desktop and Surveillance drives. Enterprise drives are great but usually rather expensive.
Power down, remove one drive, power up so the missing drive is recognised, power down, install new drive, and then power up again to allow the NAS to set up the new drive. I assume you then repeat this exercise to replace the second drive.
Bad advice for you as it's intended for a non-hot-swap NAS model.

Your NAS supports hot-swap so always make use of that when replacing disks. That means don't power the NAS down just pull the old disk out replace it with the new disk on the tray and insert it! But when expanding the storage you shouldn't just replace the disks. It's also very important to follow the step-by-step procedure found under the heading Expanding RAID Group Capacity in the Qnap manual when you want to increase the storage capacity.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
myotis
Starting out

Post by myotis »

P3R wrote:Your NAS supports hot-swap so always make use of that when replacing disks. That means don't power the NAS down just pull the old disk out replace it with the new disk on the tray and insert it! But when expanding the storage you shouldn't just replace the disks. It's also very important to follow the step-by-step procedure found under the heading Expanding RAID Group Capacity in the Qnap manual when you want to increase the storage capacity.
Thanks, another very helpful post, between Moogle's videos and your post, I feel happy that I know what to look for and what I need to do.

Cheers,

Graham
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Post by Ron1963 »

I have a Seagate 8TB NAS drive which was recognized by my 221. The specs are from a time when 4TB was the maximum capacity of the drives I believe.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
myotis
Starting out

Post by myotis »

Ron1963 wrote:I have a Seagate 8TB NAS drive which was recognized by my 221. The specs are from a time when 4TB was the maximum capacity of the drives I believe.
Really useful to know this, as it opens up the choices a lot.

Many thanks,

Graham

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”