Reusing Hard Drives from other TS 251

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
eleonora01
Starting out

Reusing Hard Drives from other TS 251

Post by eleonora01 »

My old TS 251 broke and I just received a new unit of the same model.
As a test, I inserted only one drive (it had been set up as RAID1), during the boot it found a previous Qnap installation on the HD.
I chose the option to keep existing files. The unit now boots up. When I check the drive space, it correctly shows that about 60% is used.
However, I don't see any of my folders files. Should I insert the second drive? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by eleonora01 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Guru

Re: Reusing Hard Drives from other TS 251

Post by Don »

Follow the procedure in the manual for moving drivwa from one unit to another.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
eleonora01
Starting out

Post by eleonora01 »

Thanks Don. I am afraid that it was a mistake to put back only one drive. It wasn't easy to find how to migrate the drive without your pointer. Based on the information, both drives should be inserted. I guess, I'll have to create a ticket now.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

In general, the drives can be moved straight away. Even a "half" RAID1. The point is that something could have been broken on the config while the old TS-251 broke down.
eleonora01
Starting out

Post by eleonora01 »

I was able to get my folders back with Qnap's help. It turns out, all you have to do is go to Control Panel->Shared folders. : create a new share. Instead of "Specify path automatically" selected, select "Enter path manually" and find the folder of the share you want to create.
Last edited by eleonora01 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

eleonora01 wrote:I was able to get my folders back with Qnap's help.
Great, thank you for the update!
eleonora01 wrote:It turns out, All you have to do is go to Control Panel->Shared folders. : create a new share. Instead of "Specify path automatically" selected, select "Enter path manually" and find the folder of the share you want to create.
Moving the HDD from one to another QNAP NAS does move the configuration data (including users, groups, shared folders [default and user defined ones], ...) to the new NAS. Hard to say what happened over time with this config - potentially someone tried a reset to fix the old NAS before?

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”