Migration from TS221 to TS251+ (QuadCore, 8GB)

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
chrigelino
New here

Migration from TS221 to TS251+ (QuadCore, 8GB)

Post by chrigelino »

Hi
I wanted to migrate from QNAP TS221 (Firmware 4.2.x, 2 x 2TB WD red in Raid 1) to QNAP TS251+ (Firmware at initial stage is unknown).
As per procedure I moved the 2 discs in the same order to the new Nas and started it up.
After a while of wild led blinking I attempted to connect to the Nas. It took quite a while until this was possible.
The login with "admin" and password "admin" did not work as suggested by the latest online manual.
I tried the login and password of my old TS221 and this was working fine (I was surprised...).
Then the first thing I see were:
Some App updates are available and
I have also this DNS error popping up ("The systems has detected that your DNS server cannot resolve hosts and some applications may not work properly")
I entered my two DNS servers manually.
Nothing else happend...
I carefully clicked arround on the Nas trying to read and learn without changing anything.
On the Nas Gui top left I read TS251+, the Nas name however is still the one of the TS221
The firmware it indicated is version 4.2.x (is this really true?)
I updated the Apps, that seemed to work.

But I never gtt any another pop-up or indication which asks me to update the firmware or more importantly to start the migration...
So I decided to restart the Nas.

Again the same two things came up: Apps to update and the same DNS error message.
Then a minute or so later the pop-up to update firmware came. I proceeded but the update process failed.
At this point I stopped as it ws already late night.
I only shut down the Nas.

It seems my new TS251+ thinks it is the still the TS221...
Why is login admin and admin not working as suggested by the latest online manual?
Should I first start the new NAS without any of the HDs inside (to kind of let it know that it is the TS251+)? is that possible at all to do without HDs inserted?
Should I manually update the firmware?

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Migration from TS221 to TS251+ (QuadCore, 8GB)

Post by dolbyman »

you dont want to be stuck on legacy volumes..so best to get new disks and start from scratch (copy data over)

why and how is discussed several times per week (forum search)
chrigelino
New here

Post by chrigelino »

Thanks for the feedback!

I made a back-up of my data and yes, I could start from scratch... but I don't have given up yet and I want to understand a bit more and wonder why this easy little procedure from the manual turns out to be something so complicated. Anyway -

In some YouTube video I noted that the person connected to the Nas by double clicking the Nas in the Qfinder Pro.
Today I continued and did the following:
Started the Nas with both Hdd's pulled
Qfinder reports missing hdds (quite nice)
Double clicking the line starts my Firefox and where normally the login would happen It tells me to plug in the Hds.
I plugged them in (while Nas was still running)
System asks me to "restore" ( don't have the exact wording, but it is the option which keeps all data on the Hd.)
I did this
After completion I could login with admin and admin as per procedure (nice so far!)
Once in, I noted that I definitely arrived on the new Nas. Only few apps there, other, new Nas name (not as found yesterday)
Than the window with update firmware came... so I did that too without issues.
Now my new Nas is running on 4.3.x

But now this "start migration" does not come... :? (It would have been too nice)
Searching both en and de forums I did not find a clear convincing solution to this...
Maybe I have arrived now at the point where starting from scratch for me as a none-NAS-crack remains the simplest solution...

Anyone one any suggestion on yet alternative ways to reach to goal?

Thanks!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

chrigelino wrote:I tried the login and password of my old TS221 and this was working fine (I was surprised...).
Why were you surprised?
The firmware it indicated is version 4.2.x (is this really true?)
Why shouldn't it be true?
But I never gtt any another pop-up or indication which asks me to update the firmware or more importantly to start the migration...
It only tells you to do those two things if it's necessary to update the firmware. Apperently it wasn't necessary in your case.

You could of course have updated the firmware manually if you wanted to.
Again the same two things came up: Apps to update and the same DNS error message.
The networking have an issue and can't reach internet. Most of the times (but not always) this is because of a DNS issue, that's why the error message points you in that way.

This networking issue is the only thing I can see that was a problem. If you had investigated and solved that, you would have had a completely migrated NAS.
Then a minute or so later the pop-up to update firmware came. I proceeded but the update process failed.
The online firmware update failed because you had the above mentioned network issue.
It seems my new TS251+ thinks it is the still the TS221...
No it doesn't but you did a System Migration so it got the data and configuration from the TS-221. If you read the first sentence of the System Migration page in the documentation, it tells you that's the whole point with doing a System Migration.
Why is login admin and admin not working as suggested by the latest online manual?
Because you had changed the admin password in the TS-221 previously.

The TS-251+ inherited the configuration of the TS-221 and that includes the users and their passwords.
System asks me to "restore" ( don't have the exact wording, but it is the option which keeps all data on the Hd.)
I did this
There you reset and deleted the configuration you had migrated from the TS-221.
After completion I could login with admin and admin as per procedure (nice so far!)
Yes because you reset the configuration to the factory default it wasn't the password you had configured in the TS-221 anymore.
But now this "start migration" does not come...
No you had already migrated everything into the new NAS but since you reset the configuration there is nothing left to migrate.
Maybe I have arrived now at the point where starting from scratch for me as a none-NAS-crack remains the simplest solution...
Yes and dolbyman have told you why.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
chrigelino
New here

Post by chrigelino »

Thanks for all the details... Learning is most effective when it incorporates and embraces failure... :idea:

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”