TS-209: The system is not configured

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
1kurgan
New here

TS-209: The system is not configured

Post by 1kurgan »

I've had a TS-209 for a couple of years now. It's been functioning fine, until last week I couldn't access it as a network share. When I look at the front I see the status light is blinking green. I tried rebooting it. When powering up I hear a beep after powering on, then after about 2 minutes I hear a long beep.

On my router I can see the device is on the network. If I try to access the NAS server via a web browser I get a page that says "The system is not configured. Please refer to the Quick Installation Guide or user manual for software configuration."

I have two 1TB drives in the device. At last check they were both functioning normally. (S.M.A.R.T. status was fine) IIRC the NAS was configured for Mirror raid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-209: The system is not configured

Post by dolbyman »

boot the device with only one drive installed (try one or the other) and see if it boots up ok (if it was RADI1 it should)
1kurgan
New here

Post by 1kurgan »

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried removing HDD1 and booting up. Same behavior (blinking green light after the second long beep.)

Then put HDD1 back in and removed HDD2. and... no change. Same behavior (blinking green light after the second long beep.)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

when you boot without drives ..go to the setup and then put both drives in .. it should recognize qnap drives and offer to reassamble (without deleting data)
1kurgan
New here

Post by 1kurgan »

I pulled both drives out and booted it up. Still get a beep right after hitting the power button, then after about a minute a long beep, with the status light blinking green. When trying to get to it via web browser I get the error "The system is not configured. Please refer to the Quick Installation Guide or user manual for software configuration." So no change there.

I tried using the QNAP finder utility. It sees the device on my network. It shows it's status is that it hasn't been initialized. When I tried to use QNAP finder to initialize the drive, I get a "Failed to get response from the device" error.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hmm .. it might be a partially corrupted dom then

check the firmeare recovery guide, on how to recover the dom
1kurgan
New here

Post by 1kurgan »

I'm sorry I'm not sure I'm following what your suggestion is.

I found the following for "Firmware recovery guide" for a ts-209, I've been trying to follow it.
https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/System_Recovery_Mode

So it appears the first thing to do is verify if recovery mode is already enabled. To find out I need to see what firmware version I have. Using Qfinder I see I have version 2.1.4. That's > 2.1.2 so I should be ok.

Next it appears to be telling me that since it has recovery mode "the NAS boot loader (U-boot) will be pre-configured with an IP address of 192.168.0.10."

However when I look on my router table I see that it's still taking 192.168.1.105 (DHCP assigned). So I'm not sure how to proceed.

I haven't seen anything in the recovery guide specific to "recovering the dom" Full disclosure, I don't know what the "dom" is.
StanVanDam
New here

Post by StanVanDam »

The following procedure will fix the web interface not responding and other issues due to flash memory corruption.

Phase 1: Flash Memory Recovery Mode (see https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/System_Recovery_Mode):

This assumes your firmware is new enough to have this special recovery mode built-in.

0) Remove all disks from the NAS

1) On your laptop, download your NAS-specific 8MB onboard flash memory recovery image (https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/System_Recov ... overy_Mode), save to an easy location like C:\QNAP\. For example, the TS-409 flash recovery file is <F_TS-409_20081024-2.1.2.zip>. Extract the zip, rename the extracted file <F_TS-409_20081024-2.1.2.img> to <qnapimg.bin>.

2) On your laptop, go into your Network Adapter settings, open your LAN IPV4 TCP/IP settings, set your LAN adapter to fixed IP address 192.168.0.11, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Leave default gateway, DNS, everything else blank.

3) On your laptop, download and install TFTP Server from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftputil/. Now, set your laptop to Airplane Mode and plug a normal LAN cable directly from your laptop to your NAS.

4) On your laptop, open TFTP Server, click the Options button, go to Path, set it to where you saved your flash recovery file, e.g. C:\QNAP. Optionally set the Event Display and Logging Level to Verbose and set a text file path like C:\QNAP\TFTP.log so you can see more details.

5) On the left, click the 3rd button in the Options (the gears). In Server IP Address, select 192.168.0.11. If this doesn't exist, double-check your network settings and ensure your cable is plugged into the NAS. When the TFTP server can open a socket on 192.168.0.11 (default port 69), then you are ready to run flash recovery mode.

6) Turn off your NAS. Then while pressing the Reset button on the back, press the Power button until the fan turns on, but continue to hold the Reset button until you hear 2 beeps in close succession. On the TS-409, this happens almost immediately after the fan turns on.

7) In your TFTP Server, you should see the NAS automatically start to pull the <qnapimg.bin> file. After it finishes pulling the file, it will take about 5 minutes to process. Do not remove the network cable, power off, reset, or unplug the NAS or you will brick it. The LED blinking description at the QNAP Wiki doesn't quite match reality, so just wait the 5 minutes. It will do a single long beep when it's done and reboot itself.

Phase 2: Full System Recovery

0) Enable an FTP server on your LAN, that is reachable from the NAS.
1) Ensure NAS is powered on, without any disks, plugged into your LAN, and that it receives an IP address and you can see its IP assignment from your modem/router.
2) Hot-plug one HDD (can be a used disk, it will be erased anyway) to Bay1 of the NAS. Do not use Bay2,3,4, this will only work on Bay1.
3) Telnet to the NAS's IP, port 13131, user/pass = admin/admin.
4) Check the firmware version of your NAS using [ more /etc/config/uLinux.conf ]. If the firmware is 2.1.1 or older, download the program "init_single_disk" to a computer on your network that has an FTP server running. In your NAS Telnet session, [cd /tmp] to go the temp working folder - no other folders have free space to download files into. Use the FTP, OPEN, CD, and GET commands to download the init_single_disk from the FTP server on your network. Exit FTP, then chmod +777 init_single_disk to make it executable.
5) Run [ init_single_disk ], either from /tmp if you had to download it, or from /sbin if your firmware is new enough to include it. This will destroy the data on your disk in Bay1.
6) On the computer hosting your FTP server, download your full firmware zipfile (~91MB) to a path accessible by FTP, then extract the file. For the TS-409, the zipfile is <TS-409_3.3.2_Build0918.zip> and extracted file is <TS-409_3.3.2_Build0918.img>. This full file should be close to 100MB, whereas the flash recovery file is 8MB.
7) Run the following commands to install the full firmware:
[ mkdir /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update]
[ cd /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update]
[ ln -sf /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update /mnt/update]
[ ftp IPADDRESSOFYOURSERVER, cd PATHTOIMGFILE, GET TS-409_3.3.2_Build0918.img ] to download the img file to your /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update folder.
[ /etc/init.d/update.sh /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update/TS-409_3.3.2_Build0918.img ]
8- Wait about 10 minutes until the Telnet screen shows it's done. When it's done, run [ reboot ]
9) After the reboot, wait about 5-10 minutes, then your NAS will be fully reset, with the web admin interface up and running at http://IP:8080
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”