Newbie setup help...

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Steve76063
New here

Newbie setup help...

Post by Steve76063 »

I've got my TS-431P setup and running, but I need some help in getting access to my shared folders from Win10...
In FileManager, first, I could not find the 'name' of the NAS. By fiddling around (never the best way to find things out), I turned on SNMP which allowed the 'name' of the NAS to be discovered by FileManager. So far, so good...

However, I still can't 'see' the shared folders if I try and open the NAS's name :?

If you look at the FileMgr1 image, you can see that the NAS shows up on my network (it's called GUYDONNAS), if I click on it to expand it (to try and see the shared folders), I get the message in the second image -- "cannot access \\GUYDONNAS"

I have the NAS setup with a static IP on my router, so I've been able to setup mapped drives via the static IP address (192.168.0.5).

How can I get access to my shares through \\GUYDONNAS\Public (etc.) ? I'm sure that there's probably something in the configuration I need to 'turn on'...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-431P user
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Newbie setup help...

Post by Trexx »

What version of QTS & Build are you running? What SMB version is your QNAP configured as? What router are you using and do your QNAP and WIn10 box both point to it for DNS?
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
Steve76063
New here

Post by Steve76063 »

Router is an ASUS RT-AC66U,. The computer and QNAP are setup to "Obtain DNS Server automatically". On the computer, I can see that this does resolve to my router. I think my SMB is at 2.1? I've attached screen shots of the SMB and QTS version screens...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TS-431P user
Steve76063
New here

Post by Steve76063 »

Ah Ha!!!
After looking at the SMB settings (ControlPanel/Network.../Microsoft Networking/AdvancedOptions) I turned on both 'Enable Asynchronous I/O" and set the SMB to 3.0...Now it's working like I wanted it to :)
TS-431P user
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

That's great news.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”