magic to use sfp+?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
tedder
New here

magic to use sfp+?

Post by tedder »

I have a 531. Is there any magic to use the sfp ports? I put a passive adapter in, my router recognizes it but there are no blinky lights or anything else on the QNAP end.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: magic to use sfp+?

Post by Trexx »

tedder wrote:I have a 531. Is there any magic to use the sfp ports? I put a passive adapter in, my router recognizes it but there are no blinky lights or anything else on the QNAP end.
I assume your Router supports 10GbE?
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

is the adapter on the compatibility list ?

https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/?model=210
tedder
New here

Post by tedder »

Trexx wrote: I assume your Router supports 10GbE?
It's the mikrotik hAP ac, which supports it, ostensibly. And it shows as being connected on the router side.
dolbyman wrote:is the adapter on the compatibility list ?

https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/?model=210
No. I submitted a bunch for qnap to test. But the overlap between the mikrotik and qnap compatibility lists is a null set. Roughly speaking, all passive 10g adapters should work, I would think.
tedder
New here

Post by tedder »

..I'm going to order some AXM761 adapters, they are reasonably priced.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

tedder wrote:No. I submitted a bunch for qnap to test. But the overlap between the mikrotik and qnap compatibility lists is a null set. Roughly speaking, all passive 10g adapters should work, I would think.
QNAP does not limit the use of (active) SFP+ modules to any specific vendor IDs. Shorter SFP+ DAC are mostly direct connections, indeed, and should work anyway. Could be caused by a broken SFP+ port or DAC, too.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

tedder wrote:
Trexx wrote:I assume your Router supports 10GbE?
It's the mikrotik hAP ac, which supports it, ostensibly. And it shows as being connected on the router side.
Strongly doubt. This router has some Gigabit Ethernet ports and an SFP (Gigabit) - not an SFP+ (10 Gigabit) port. SFP/SFP+ ports (cages) do not offer any end-to-end negotiation on the port level - therefore, direct passive connections between SFP and SFP+ devices unlikely work.

It might be different when using SFP fibre modules (1 Gigabit only) which might be recognised, permitting to bring up a Gigabit connection. Not convinced the x31X are able to handle Gigabit speeds (even of there is a single 10/1 Gb in the compatibility list) at all.
tedder
New here

Post by tedder »

schumaku wrote:Strongly doubt. This router has some Gigabit Ethernet ports and an SFP (Gigabit) - not an SFP+ (10 Gigabit) port. SFP/SFP+ ports (cages) do not offer any end-to-end negotiation on the port level - therefore, direct passive connections between SFP and SFP+ devices unlikely work.
Ugh. Thanks. I looked closely to see that the QNAP supported SFTP+, but didn't check the other side.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

To reduce costs always look at using DA2 cable and Qnap have their own tested cables, such as this:
http://shop.qnap.com/index.php?route=pr ... uct_id=142

If you want to use Gbics, the recommendation is use compatible Gbics at Qnap end (from the compat list) and compatible GBics at switch end (from its list).
Qnap does limit the GBIcs list as here
https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... ansceivers

FYI The Qnap SFP+ card is Mellanox underneath but as you can see other makes are supported.
Fibre/Optical and Gbics give better speed than DA2 (maybe 5% more) but on the 531X you're probably not going to see it over DA2 cables.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

@storageman afraid, even the compatibility tested DAC or DA2 cables don't make a 1 Gb SFP on the router workable to an 10 Gb SFP+ on the TS-531X. And the TS-531X SFP+ are driven direct by the Annapurna SoC - no 3rd party interfaces in the play.
tedder
New here

Post by tedder »

eh, I may as well throw out my SFP/SFP+ gear and use the gigabit ethernet interface.
Manofmayo
Starting out

Post by Manofmayo »

What did you do? If you have the 531x, can't you add a card for 10Gb ethernet in your NAS, and another card in your computer for 10 Gb?
TS-451+ w/ 8Gb RAM - 4 Samsung 850 EVO's (1st NAS)
TS-453BE w/ 8Gb RAM - 4 WD 1Tb Red's (Work NAS)
TS-673 w/ 4Gb RAM - 5 WD 2Tb Red's (Photography NAS) & 2 M.2 Samsung 250gb EVO's
tedder
New here

Post by tedder »

I have the 531, my router only supports 10g SFP+, the nas only supports 1gb SFP. But they both talk 1g eth, which is suitable.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

tedder wrote:I have the 531, my router only supports 10g SFP+, the nas only supports 1gb SFP.
Hm ... no, something wrong. The TS-531 (TS-531P) does not come with any SFP+ interface out of the box, the only supported optional SFP+ expansion card is the 10 Gb QNAP LAN-10G1SR (single SFP+), while the TS-531X does come with a dual SFP+ interface pre-installed. No SFP (1 Gb only) on the NAS - this limitation is on your router side.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

schumaku wrote:while the TS-531P does come with a dual SFP+ interface pre-installed. No SFP (1 Gb only) on the NAS - this limitation is on your router side.
I think you mean 531X

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”