[Beginner's question] Setting up an additional HDD

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Tyrexionibus
New here

[Beginner's question] Setting up an additional HDD

Post by Tyrexionibus »

Hi,

I have a QNAP TS-253A Turbo NAS which had been used with only one HDD until some time ago.

Now that I have installed an additional HDD (so the NAS is complete), I only see activity on the 1st HDD LED - it seems that the 2nd HDD, the newest one, is idling and inactive.

How do I configure the NAS to get it to use the 2nd HDD too?

[ It is important because the 1st HDD's capacity has been divided by 2, and now that an additional disk is on, it is not necessary anymore (RAID 1). ]

As of now, there is only 1 volume, called "DataVol1". I need to create another volume, or get the 2nd disk recognized.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [Beginner's question] Setting up an additional HDD

Post by dolbyman »

if you are running storage pools you could just add the second drive into the pool (check the manual)

but all of that is risky business without backups..so make sure all is backed up
P3R
Guru

Re: [Beginner's question] Setting up an additional HDD

Post by P3R »

Tyrexionibus wrote:How do I configure the NAS to get it to use the 2nd HDD too?
There are different ways but assuming the second disk is the same size or larger as the first one, I recommend migrating the revious single disk into RAID 1. To do that follow the instructions in the doumentation under the heading Migrating RAID Configuration. I'm guessing you're on QTS version 4.3, if not refer to the documentation for the QTS version in use.
It is important because the 1st HDD's capacity has been divided by 2...
Why? How?

Unless you've done something special yourself, I would think that the volume have allocated only half of the disk (I think that may be the default?) to leave room for other things like snapshots and block-based LUNs.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”