Cannot Get Server Time Synced w/ Android for 2-factor

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Speez
Starting out

Cannot Get Server Time Synced w/ Android for 2-factor

Post by Speez »

No idea what the issue is this time, but I recently picked up a new phone (pixel 2 xl) and was going about setting up google authenticator for my 2-factor login (previously working fine on my nexus 6p). When I tried to scan the barcode to setup on the new phone, it did not like the code and said the 6 digit code could not be verified. Mind you when I scanned in the barcode the first time (same as before) it put my pixel 2 in "sync" with the 6p as far as what code was showing in authenticator, and I had just used the 6p to login. I did then notice that the 6p, the qnap server (ts-251) and the pixel were not in sync with them displayed times. I tried resetting the time server in qnap, and re-syncing the 2-factor code, but to no avail. It's been a year and a half since I last set this up but I don't remember having any issues, and now its a mess and my 6p isnt working to show codes either.

Any thoughts? There are no time setting options on my phones to sync with the same time server as the qnap (pool.ntp.org previously working just fine), so I'm at a loss for how to get this synced up again.

Thanks,
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cannot Get Server Time Synced w/ Android for 2-factor

Post by schumaku »

Already compared the time of both phones (commonly synched from the network, not from Internet NTP) and the time on the NAS?

Suspect more the NAS is off .... worst case, you might try the "Time correction for codes" in the Google Authenticator hamburger menu top right (settings).
Speez
Starting out

Post by Speez »

After a couple of restarts of all devices and bouncing settings around...it is working now. Not super reassuring because I am not sure what clicked and fixed it and it would ** to get out of sync again.

What was interesting was all the times were off, the old phone, the new phone, and the NAS clock. When I added the QNAP barcode to the new phone, the ticket in Google authenticator for the new phone was maybe 10-15% "ahead" of the old phone, but showing the same code most of the time (so the new phone ran out and switched codes a few seconds before the old phone, this was true for my Google account, LastPass account, and qnap accounts in authenticator). Immediately prior to adding that barcode to the new phone, I had used the old phone to authenticate my way into my QNAP device, and then the phones codes were Matching but not working. My new phone clock was about 80-90 seconds ahead of the NAS and my old phone was kind of in the middle, no clue what happened there
Speez
Starting out

Post by Speez »

This appears to be an issue again, my ts251 is out of sync with my phone and Google authenticator by ~45ish seconds. The authenticator codes will not work as my phone is "ahead" of the NAS until the last 15 seconds or so of a countdown when they are on the same code cycle. This is not good, any more thoughts? I have refreshed everything as many times as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Post by mdhwoods »

i had that issue on my iphone. what i found that worked was to disable automatically set time on phone, then reenable. this seemed to force the time to update and i was able to authenticate. I had to do this often but it worked. times looked correct but were obviously off enough to fail.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mdhwoods wrote:i had that issue on my iphone. what i found that worked was to disable automatically set time on phone, then reenable. this seemed to force the time to update and i was able to authenticate. I had to do this often but it worked. times looked correct but were obviously off enough to fail.
Mobile devices fetch the time from the 3G/4G network, not from any ntp services. Strange this time is off that much (>30 seconds) from a standard time (where the NAS clock is not ntpd synched, and can run away, too.
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Post by mdhwoods »

schumaku wrote:
mdhwoods wrote:i had that issue on my iphone. what i found that worked was to disable automatically set time on phone, then reenable. this seemed to force the time to update and i was able to authenticate. I had to do this often but it worked. times looked correct but were obviously off enough to fail.
Mobile devices fetch the time from the 3G/4G network, not from any ntp services. Strange this time is off that much (>30 seconds) from a standard time (where the NAS clock is not ntpd synched, and can run away, too.
ya, i thought it was strange also, but its what i had to do. Now on my new phone i do not have this issue.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

schumaku wrote:...where the NAS clock is not ntpd synched, and can run away, too.
Which is a strong argument for configuring automatic time synchronization and using an hourly update interval rather than daily.

Better firewalls (like for example pfSense) offer ntp server functionality or on NASes where virtualization is supported, we could run our own time server as a VM.

Preferably we get the correct time from a geographically nearby ntp pool (as I recommended earlier in the thread) or if running our own local time server we could also use the official national time references of our current location.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
jasisboy
New here

Post by jasisboy »

P3R wrote:
schumaku wrote:...where the NAS clock is not ntpd synched, and can run away, too.
Which is a strong argument for configuring automatic time synchronization and using an hourly update interval rather than daily.

Better firewalls (like for example pfSense) offer ntp server functionality or on NASes where virtualization is supported, we could run our own time server as a VM.

Preferably we get the correct time from a geographically nearby ntp pool (as I recommended earlier in the thread) or if running our own local time server we could also use the official national time references of our current location.

This did work for me. Thanks

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”