Thunderbolt, Windows10. static IP and ExFat

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Hmmmmmmm
New here

Thunderbolt, Windows10. static IP and ExFat

Post by Hmmmmmmm »

Hello wise network gurus

Yes, I'm a network-newbie, so I'm having problems when trying to change from dynamic to static IP in the Thunderbolt virtual switch.

(have to do so because our film editor gets a new IP asigned from the thunderbolt virtual switch, when he restarts, wich mean his editing program can't find it's source folders...(
But when it's working, he's transfering RAW files with 1GB/s, wich is a bless when emptying a high speed 256 GB CF Card,- ))

After trying to change the dynamic ip to a static one in the thunderbolt bridge in the NAS, windows comes up asking for IP, subnetmask & deafault gateway. No matter what I try here, windows wont accept it.

I'm setting in IP's from cmd/ipconfig, including the virtual switch IP.
Virtual_switch_thunderbolt_SD.png
in the virtual switch info on the NAS Theres no such thing as 'standard gateway' or where do I find that?

The only place named 'standard gateway, is my 10GB port connected to the router/internet. (is that btw stupid?)

The NAS is a qnap TVS-1282T3 64 GB RAM

And while i'm here. Is the external backup really that slow? I've set up a One-Touch front USB backup job to a 5TB USB 3.0 Seagate disk formatted with Exfat and even bought an Qnap ExFat licence for the NAS to speed things up,
But it's still spending something like 20 hours to backup 4TB's. The NAS is configured to be RAID 5 but I read in another benchmark test that RAID level really dont have the big impact regarding transfer speed.

I tried support regarding the ExFat issue, but that ticket wasn't really a help...So I hope you shake your head and tell me how simple it is...
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:roll:
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Thunderbolt, Windows10. static IP and ExFat

Post by storageman »

Thunderbolt ports are direct so don't have gateways, 169 addresses don't have gateways
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ing-system
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

What I understand is that you need a fixed (known) IP address on the NAS, ie. on the system default Thunderbolt virtual switch.
Hmmmmmmm wrote:After trying to change the dynamic ip to a static one in the thunderbolt bridge in the NAS, windows comes up asking for IP, subnetmask & deafault gateway. No matter what I try here, windows wont accept it.
By rule of thumb, also Windows does configure Zero-config Addresses if there is no static or DHCP config (on the Windows side) interface.

Alternate, you can configure a DHCP server on the Virtual Switch with the Thunderbolt interfaces. Note you might have to switch the number temporarily because it will tell you that the IP address (assigned to the Virtual Switch with the Thunderbolt adaptors) is already in use.
Thunderbolt Bridge - Virtual Switch - Static IP.PNG
Thunderbolt Bridge - Virtual Switch - DHCP.PNG
Another possibility is to bring the 10 GbE Adapters and the Thunderbolt Adapters into the same Virtual Switch, so the Windows (or whatever system) with the Thunderbolt Adapters will be in the very same (bridged)10 GbE network, and the LAN DHCP will assign the Thunderbolt network on the Windows side:
Virtual Switch - 10 GbE - Thunderbolt Adapter bridged.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hmmmmmmm
New here

Post by Hmmmmmmm »

storageman wrote:Thunderbolt ports are direct so don't have gateways, 169 addresses don't have gateways
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ing-system
Copy that, Storageman, and thank you for the link! but why is Windows still asking for one?
Hmmmmmmm
New here

Post by Hmmmmmmm »

schumaku wrote:Alternate, you can configure a DHCP server on the Virtual Switch with the Thunderbolt interfaces
But wouldn't setting up an ekstra DHCP in our LAN create a conflict?

and btw I'm so gratefull for your reply -and time, Schumaku!
Interesting solutions I have to test there.

Regards Andy
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The default Thunderbolt Virtual Switch is not connected to any other network, so the scope of the DHCP is limited to this network. The reason why there is no DHCP server in place by default on the Thunderbolt Virtual Switch is because of Zero-Config is used there, and all interfaces should be configured automatically.
Hmmmmmmm wrote:But wouldn't setting up an ekstra DHCP in our LAN create a conflict?
Very different, if bridging the Thunderbolt Virtual Switch resp put the Thunderbolt Adaptors to a Virtual Switch along with ie. the 10 GbE interface connecting to your network, the normal DHCP server for this network will have the control, and no additional DHCP service must be run on that Virtual Switch of course.
Hmmmmmmm wrote:but why is Windows still asking for one?
No problems configure an interface static IPv4 with just an address and a subnet mask here on Windows 10 - no default gateway, no DNS servers are mandatory.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”