Fix DNS resolution

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
fraflo66
Starting out

Fix DNS resolution

Post by fraflo66 »

Hello,
i have a problem with my Qnap NAS ts-219P, the NAS Vers. 4.3.3. 0316 is not resolving DNS hosts at the command-line. I might need assistance to examine your DNS configuration.
In the Contolpanel -Network DHCP is no,because i have a Statische fix IP 192.168.178.23 (NAS) Sub. 255.255.255.0 the Gateway 192.168.178.1 and following DNS Primaer 192.168.178.1 and sekundär 8.8.8.8.
With Putty and the command ping -c 5 z.com the packets fail 100%
Please help
Thanks
Frank

curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'raw.githubusercontent.com'
[/share/Public] # curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/onecd ... rpa.tar.gz && tar -zxvf sherpa.tar.gz
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:01:02 --:--:-- 0curl: (7) Failed to connect to raw.githubusercontent.com port 443: Connection timed out
[/share/Public] #
[/share/Public] # ping -c 5 z.com
PING z.com (163.44.130.25): 56 data bytes

--- z.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
[/share/Public] #
schumaku
Guru

Re: Fix DNS resolution

Post by schumaku »

Hi Frank,

Hard to say why one or both DNS server IPs configured on the NAS don't work. Assume both addresses are reachable, there are no IP subnetworks on your LAN (and the NAS) configured with overlapping network ranges/subnets (check ifconfig on the NAS first....), then ping the DNS server IPs, ...

The simple nbslookup allows to define an IP address for testing, like

[~] # nslookup z.com 8.8.8.8
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Name: z.com
Address: 163.44.130.25
[~] # nslookup raw.githubusercontent.com 192.168.178.1
Server: myusg.whatever.domain.ch
Address: 192.168.178.1

Name: github.map.fastly.net
Address: 151.101.36.133

Permitting the DNS relay on the router does work (resp the DNS config on your Internet router is correctly working), and/or the Google Public DNS is reachable (and not blocked/blackholed/captured) by the ISP there can't be much more to fail.

-Kurt
fraflo66
Starting out

Post by fraflo66 »

schumaku wrote:Hi Frank,

Hard to say why one or both DNS server IPs configured on the NAS don't work. Assume both addresses are reachable, there are no IP subnetworks on your LAN (and the NAS) configured with overlapping network ranges/subnets (check ifconfig on the NAS first....), then ping the DNS server IPs, ...

The simple nbslookup allows to define an IP address for testing, like

Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

Name: z.com
Address: 163.44.130.25
Server: myusg.whatever.domain.ch

Address: 151.101.36.133

Permitting the DNS relay on the router does work (resp the DNS config on your Internet router is correctly working), and/or the Google Public DNS is reachable (and not blocked/blackholed/captured) by the ISP there can't be much more to fail.

-Kurt
Hallo Kurt,
danke für deine schnelle Rückmeldung! (hab gelesen das du aus der Schweiz kommst)
*** Unknown host

Server: compalhub.home

Address: 151.101.112.133
[~] #

Bin schon langsam am verzweifeln ..hab auch eine neue IP-Adresse mir zugewiesen und funktioniert auch nicht..
Liebe Grüße aus Wien
Frank
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

As I've guessed it appears the Google Public DNS IPv4 addresses cent be used to resolve names - some strange ISP policies or silly ideas.

Check with your ISP for DNS IP address to be used in their world.

For the moment, I'd suggest to remove the 8.8.8.8 and add just the router L'AN IP (.1).

-Kurt

PS. Sorry for answering late, had to see the hospital emergency for a while (and return there early next week for a surgery).
fraflo66
Starting out

Post by fraflo66 »

schumaku wrote:As I've guessed it appears the Google Public DNS IPv4 addresses cent be used to resolve names - some strange ISP policies or silly ideas.

For the moment, I'd suggest to remove the 8.8.8.8 and add just the router L'AN IP (.1).

-Kurt

PS. Sorry for answering late, had to see the hospital emergency for a while (and return there early next week for a surgery).
Hello Kurt,
no Problem…
i wish You all the best
Frank
fraflo66
Starting out

Post by fraflo66 »

fraflo66 wrote:
schumaku wrote:As I've guessed it appears the Google Public DNS IPv4 addresses cent be used to resolve names - some strange ISP policies or silly ideas.

-Kurt

Hello Kurt,
no Problem…
i wish You all the best
Frank
Hi Kurt,
the problem got solved...i put dhcp on and dns server address automatically surprisingly that was it :) :)
Best regards and all your best healthy
Frank

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”