TS-431+ Network connection problems

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
theincogtion
Starting out

TS-431+ Network connection problems

Post by theincogtion »

I am running FW 4.3.4.0597
My Problem:
If something changes in my network (e.g. a reboot of my router) the NAS looses its connection.
I already tried to use other cables and re-plug the cable nothing helped.
I used a static IP in the NAS and I also used the router to define a static IP adress, nothing changed.
I had 2 different routers and the problem occured on both (fritz!box and compal router)
So I assume that the problem is comming from the NAS.
I was able to plug in a cable in the second LAN port, it looks like this:
2018-06-29 10_08_01.png
Both LAN ports are connected, only the second on is online. Lights are flashing on both ports.

I also configured something in the network config and hoped that this could trigger a initialization of the LAN ports but still only port 2 is online.

/etc/init.d/services.sh restart

didn't change anything

The only entry in the syslog which I could find is this one:
Type Date Time Users Source IP Computer name Content
Information 2018/06/29 07:34:34 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [Network] LAN 1 link is Down.
And it never came "up" again.

This is exactly the time of my router restart.

Only a restart of the NAS solves the issue.
This is a problem because I am running a VPN on the qnap so I am not able to connect in case this error happens again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: TS-431+ Network connection problems

Post by storageman »

Does ifconfig show the ports?
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

You should only plug in 1 cable unless you set up link aggregation, which I'm sure you're not with those routers. I think your router or NAS is confused because you have both cables plugged in.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Potentially a cable/negotiation/hardware issue. If the link does not come up...
StardustOne
Know my way around

Post by StardustOne »

I have the same issues with the TS-231P2 and one TS-431+. Link aggregation set, switch set and configure. I reboot the two NAS and they never are seen on the network after a reboot. It takes me about 1 to 2 hours to resolve this issue, if it can be resolved. Each shutdown / reboot takes 20+ minutes to see if the NAS gets an IP.

Most annoying and not a sign for good quality of the products. I have these issues since I own the TS-431+, it never works for sure after a reboot and lost the network connection very often even when copying data from one NAS to anohter NAS.

The NAS is configured for link aggregation, but if I unplug one cable and hope that it boots and gets one IP address on one adapter port, it does not and I do not know what I do wrong here. It is a failover and I cut one LAN cable, why is this NAS not then stay on the network or get an IP?

I have decided to delete the link aggretation setting now on the NAS and on the switches, it is useless to me to have this configured because the NAS do not reliably come back online after a reboot.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *
StardustOne wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:14 am I have the same issues with the TS-231P2 and one TS-431+.
@StardustOne: you have a bad habit of necroposting. Please - if a topic has been inactive for longer than 12 months, start a new topic.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”