Setting up QNAP TS-453Be with just 1 HD to start.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Setting up QNAP TS-453Be with just 1 HD to start.

Post by OneCD »

moctodpanq wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:45 am I just created a storage pool, raid 5.
How many HDDs are installed now?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

Four 8tbs.
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

To create a STATIC volume, do I have to wait for the synchronization to end or something? Seems like I can move forward with thick, but if choosing static, it says 0/4 disks available. This might be comical to some of you advance users, but I actually tried to reset to factory default twice now. LOL! The reason is because I wanted to see that wizard in the beginning that would allow me to choose raid 5, and static volume, instead of choosing "configure hard drives later" which was what I chose, and the process is not the same, so it has me confused. But here's the funny thing, once the factory reset is done, I'm still not getting that wizard. And once I login to the admin website, the synchronization continues, so it still remembers that I chose raid 5, which is fine, but I'm confused why I can't create the static volume now. I can't get that fresh out of the package, newly detected NAS Wizard again. LOL!

I know my attempts to factory reset my seem unnecessary, but it's like driving directions in the old days without GPS. Sometimes I used to drive back to a certain address because I know how to get to the destination from that address. LOL! Anyway, should I worry about this static vs thick thing? Do I even need to create a volume in the storage pool to begin with? I take it I do, right? In terms of relating to windows so I can understand, the storage pool is like the unallocated hard drive space on a pc? You need to create the volume and assign a letter. We're kinda doing the same thing with the Nas, right?
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

Okay, so I figured out I could REMOVE a storage pool. Instead, I went directly to creating a VOLUME, which then allowed me to select Static Volume.

My Qnap Admin URL is red and says NOT SECURE. Is this normal? Does this make my data vulnerable to hackers? How do you get the LOCK icon?
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

I realize the name of the qnap admin site is QTS. Is it okay that the url is not secure? I went to my FIOS admin page to compare, and the address bar also shows NOT SECURE. I take it this is normal then?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

QTS is the name of the NAS operating system.

Yes, if you’re connecting to the NAS web UI over your LAN, you don’t need the connection to be secure. ;)

It’s when you want to login to and use a remote service that security becomes very important.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

HTTP vs HTTPS.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

Hey guys, is it normal for this NAS to take a long, long, long time booting up? It takes a while for it to say, "System boot completed." Even after that several more minutes before you can connect to QTS, or be able to use the mapped drive. This was quite a surprise to me. I know it is more sophisticated than my DNS-323 from a decade ago, but I'm still using that NAS and it boots up and is recognized in seconds.

Is this normal?
rgarjr
Know my way around

Post by rgarjr »

moctodpanq wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 am Hey guys, is it normal for this NAS to take a long, long, long time booting up? It takes a while for it to say, "System boot completed." Even after that several more minutes before you can connect to QTS, or be able to use the mapped drive. This was quite a surprise to me. I know it is more sophisticated than my DNS-323 from a decade ago, but I'm still using that NAS and it boots up and is recognized in seconds.

Is this normal?
Yeah it does take a while to get back online when rebooted or powered up. They're meant to be on all the time, only reboot once in a while or firmware updates.

[TS-1677x] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TS-1277] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-877] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-677] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TVS-472xt] - i7-8700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Enhance Electronics 600W ENP-7660B - [TVS-871u-rp] - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

moctodpanq wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 am Hey guys, is it normal for this NAS to take a long, long, long time booting up? It takes a while for it to say, "System boot completed." Even after that several more minutes before you can connect to QTS, or be able to use the mapped drive. This was quite a surprise to me. I know it is more sophisticated than my DNS-323 from a decade ago, but I'm still using that NAS and it boots up and is recognized in seconds.

Is this normal?
Can you define "long time"? 10-20minutes after pushing the power button is not abnormal for my 451+ with raid 5.

How much is your electricity in your area? I think my NAS uses 20 watts at idle which ends up being about 15kwh per month. Electricity costs 12 cents per kwh so that's about $1.80 per month for my NAS at idle. So I just keep it on all the time.
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

I'm using it for media, so I do want it on 24/7. I'm only noticing these long boots when I have to power everything off and reorganizing my desk. As well as these random reboots with a notification that "my system didn't shut down properly." But I suspect that has something to do with the 16gb ram I'm experimenting with.
gggplaya
Been there, done that

Post by gggplaya »

No, you can shut it down, and power it on manually. Won’t hurt anything, it’ll just take a long time to boot up. I don’t ever get random reboots, I would get that sorted out.
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

Hey Guys, what does CACHE ram mean? I put 16gb in and right now, I see close to 6 gigs being cache, 8 gigs available, 1 gig in use, etc. Originally, it came with 2 gb of ram. The more ram you feed it, the more it caches?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

OneCD wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:16 am https://www.linuxatemyram.com
I just googled and got that website. Then I came back here and saw your link to the same site. LOL!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”