Trying to access data on old TS-859 Pro

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Sandrob
First post

Trying to access data on old TS-859 Pro

Post by Sandrob »

Hi,

I am trying to access data on an old Qnap TS-859 Pro from a computer with Linux. According to my notes, the firmware version is probably 3.3.3 from around 2010. From memory, the device was set up as RAID 5 array with no encryption.

The device was intended for long-term storage and only switched on occasionally to move larger chunks of digital data via the local network into the 'permanent archive'. If memory serves right, I had the TS-159 Pro mounted with NFS when I still used it regularily.

Since I recently needed some of the archived files, I have now tried to start the TS-859 Pro after several years of not touching it; it boots just fine and finishes without error messages with the usual long beep. All eight drives are 'online' with a green LED. I can ping the IP address, but neither under the devices IP address, nor the IP address with appended port 8080 a website responds. Also, when trying to access the IP address with SSH on port 22, I just get a timout ('connection timed out').

Since it is years ago when Iast used the TS-859 Pro, I have searched through manuals, getting started guide and troubleshooting instructions to get any suggestions how to recover access to the device. But everything I could find so far referrs to client software for Windows or Mac, or to the web browser interface.

Questions to the experienced owners: What are my options to get access to the device without loosing the data? Could someone point me to a low-level troubleshooting guide? Or is one of the five obscure (undocumented) USB ports intended to directly access the file system, or are those rather service ports for things like firmware updates?

Thank you for any pointers or suggestions!

-S.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Trying to access data on old TS-859 Pro

Post by dolbyman »

use qfinder to see if the NAS is in some other network segment (it might have changed over the years)

assembling the drives from such an old unit should be easy (mdadm) .. o added LVM on that .. you just need to find a computer with 8 free SATA ports

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”