Boot-up sequence.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Pollensa1946
Getting the hang of things

Boot-up sequence.

Post by Pollensa1946 »

New 251+. On setting up I was prompted to install the latest f/w V4.3.6.0979, which I did.

1) I notice that immediately the power-on switch is pressed the status light goes solid green and remains that way throughout the boot-up. The only indication the boot-up has completed is a long beep. This is at odds with the manual which states the status light should flash during boot-up.

2) I created a shared folder, with sub-folders, structured as follows...
MYFILES
---- Films
---- Photos
---- Music
---- TV

To this structure the NAS has added a folder...
---- @Recently-Snapshot

So users linking to the NAS and MYFILES see this...
MYFILES
---- @Recently-Snapshot
---- Films
---- Photos
---- Music
---- TV

I don't want that folder there and don't want users seeing it. So I deleted it, but during bootup it is reinstated by the NAS and even stranger it contains a file "desktop.ini", which is a Windows10 file and contains...
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=117
InfoTip=Snapshot Directory

If I delete that desktop.ini file from @Recently-Snapshot the structure then becomes...
MYFILES
---- @Recently-Snapshot
---- @Recycle
-------- @Recently-Snapshot (folder containing below file)
------------ desktop.ini
-------- desktop.ini (file)
---- Films
---- Photos
---- Music
---- TV

This setup is repeated every time I delete the unwanted files/folders and then reboot the NAS. What on earth is going on here?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Boot-up sequence.

Post by dolbyman »

Pollensa1946

Post by Pollensa1946 »

OK, thanks. I have turned off the setting that makes @Recently-Snapshot visible in the structure which is one part of the problem number (2) solved. Although I'm not really interested in Snapshots, have not consciously turned them on and wonder how to turn then off completely. Also why is a Windows 10 file appearing in the snapshot? Could it be related to I have mapped that NAS drive on my Win PC?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yes ..those files would be from windows ..(same as thumbs.db files if there is pictures in the folder)

for the led light ...I wouldn't read too much into it as the manual is generic for dozens of models
Pollensa1946

Post by Pollensa1946 »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:22 pm...for the led light ...I wouldn't read too much into it as the manual is generic for dozens of models
That may be so but the only indication it is fully booted is the long beep. I just timed bootup and it was close to 4m30s and if you miss the beep the only way to check if it is booted is to try to connect. Not exactly leading edge, in fact worse than my 11 year old TS409 which has the led red until fully booted then green.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

complain to qnap then ..nothing we can do

or just limit your bootups to a minimum
Pollensa1946

Post by Pollensa1946 »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 pmcomplain to qnap then ..nothing we can do...
I have done, raised a ticket today. Three actually, the others being on use of the remote control for shutting down and a glitch with QFinder. Will keep you posted on results.
Pollensa1946

Post by Pollensa1946 »

QNAP have confirmed that the desktop.ini file is created by the user mapping the NAS drive on Windows and then accessing it via SMB.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”