Qnap TS-109 PRO II failed to initialize

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
root666
New here

Qnap TS-109 PRO II failed to initialize

Post by root666 »

Hello folks,

recently i got used Qnap TS-109 PRO II with firmware 3.1.0. I have put in Western Digital Caviar Black hard disk 1 TB. When trying to initialize the system, it fails on the last step, Updating the firmware:

[img]hhttps://i.postimg.cc/9fSgBY0r/operationfailed.jpg[/img]

Then I tried to update only the firmware with versions 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 but no luck:

Web interface is not accessible, nor ssh.

Are there any options for me to get it running?
Blackbar7
Know my way around

Re: Qnap TS-109 PRO II failed to initialize

Post by Blackbar7 »

root666 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:11 pm Hello folks,

recently i got used Qnap TS-109 PRO II with firmware 3.1.0. I have put in Western Digital Caviar Black hard disk 1 TB. When trying to initialize the system, it fails on the last step, Updating the firmware:

[img]hhttps://i.postimg.cc/9fSgBY0r/operationfailed.jpg[/img]

Then I tried to update only the firmware with versions 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 but no luck:

Web interface is not accessible, nor ssh.

Are there any options for me to get it running?
Uae at least a compatible HD, like the WD-Red or HGST.
TS-253 8Gb Pro with QTS 4.4.1.0978 build 20190627 Public Beta
TS-131 1Gb with QTS 4.4.1.0978 Build 20190627 Public Beta
Both drives are equiped with WD-RED drives.
Affordable seedbox > https://panel.seedbox.io/aff.php?aff=641
root666
New here

Post by root666 »

You mean WD Black series is incompatible?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

wd black is for desktop ..not for nas

missing tler on this drive doesn't matter that much as it's not keeping other drives waiting on retrys (cause there is no other drives)

you could try a firmware recovery to get the nas going again
root666
New here

Post by root666 »

I think v.4 does not support firmware recovery.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I guess lowest nas on firmware recovery page is 110

maybe try contacting qnap ... otherwise you have a fancy paperweight there
root666
New here

Post by root666 »

Yes, I contacted them and they said that product is end of life and is not supported anymore.
mjl
Getting the hang of things

Post by mjl »

I encountered the same problem but have found a solution. As in my search for a solution I did not find anything that helped, I'll explain here for anyone else that would like to revive his or hers old NAS

Form me it started with replacing the hard drive which crashed. I went through the initialisation wizard but at the end where it wants to install the firmware I get an error where the NAS is reported not to be initialized. You can choose abort, retry or ignore. Retry keep you in a loop ;) abort presents you with a screen that tells you it failed, when you ignore the system reboots, but the firmware is not installed. Installing the firmware gets me in the same problem as stated by the topic starter.

What worked for me is the following:
At the end of the wizard (in the latest QNAP finder) where it fails to upload and install the firmware press ignore, the installation of the firmware will fail because somehow it thinks the system is not initialized. Also updateing the firmware with the latest QNAP finder will fail and kicks you into initialize mode again.

Then I grabbed an old version of QNAP Finder from my archive (v3,4,1,1401) from which I first rebooted the TS-109 and then uploaded the latest firmware (v3.3.3 (1003T)). After this it installed the firmware, rebooted and I could access the web interface on http://<ip>:8080/cgi-bin/html/login.html

What also worked (just tried this). Is to go through the initialisation process using the old QNAP finder, no errors and NAS works fine.

Seems the latest versions of the QNAP finder have a bug for installing a firmware update the obsolete NAS models. So make sure you keep your old versions of software handy (not just for QNAP).

Also my new HDD is not officially supported, the one that crashed (that is why I needed to replace it) ran for 8 years straight (Cheap WD Green HDD) probably also not. They only scare you in buying overly priced WD Red Pro drives which I would only buy because of the 5 year warranty (oh wait, not even all models even have this anymore …).
NAS Model: TS-873 FW: 4.4.1.x
Pool 1 (HDD): [RAID-5+SPARE] 7 x 4TB WD SE
Pool 2 (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB WD Blue m.2's
RAM: 64GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti, Single Slot, 4GB
Network: 1x standard 1GB ETH + Intel 10GB ETH expansion (single port)
UPS: APC Back-UPS ES-700G

Backup 1: 2x USB 3.0 WD 4TB (alternating monthly backup of important data, most recent @2nd location)
Backup 2: NAS Model: TS-109Pro - 2 TB Backup @3rd location.
Backup 3: 2TB Stack storage for backup (4th location)

Cloud syncs: OneDrive & Dropbox
Viridel
Getting the hang of things

Post by Viridel »

mjl wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 pm Then I grabbed an old version of QNAP Finder from my archive (v3,4,1,1401) from which I first rebooted the TS-109 and then uploaded the latest firmware (v3.3.3 (1003T)). After this it installed the firmware, rebooted and I could access the web interface on http://<ip>:8080/cgi-bin/html/login.html
Are you willing to provide this to the rest of us? Somehow my request to QNAP support for this file, and specifically directing them to this thread, has resulted in a week of back-and-forth, and intentionally being provided with instructions that they knew wouldn't work. I didn't even ask them for help on the device itself, as I know it's EOL - I just wanted this version of QF......... and they can't even manage that.
Livlander
New here

Post by Livlander »

Hi all,

I am facing exactly the same issue on my old TS-209.
Would anyone be kind enough to send an earlier version of QFinder ?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Liv.
Livlander
New here

Post by Livlander »

And I actually just found old versions of Qnap Finder here :
https://qnap-finder.software.informer.com

Liv.
Drewmama
Starting out

Post by Drewmama »

I was just having the same problem on my 109 Pro II (3.3.3 FW). I hadn't booted up my NAS in a long time and when I did, the status light would flash red/green for a bit, and after like a minute or two it would only be flashing green, with no second beep like it normally does. I didn't know if that meant a bad hard drive or if the firmware had gotten corrupted. In the latest Qfinder it would show up but as not initialized and when I clicked yes to initialize, it couldn't get to any of the services (web admin - "connection refused"; ssh - no response from server, etc.). I happened to have another hard drive lying around to put in but when I put that in and booted it up, it just did the same thing. I spent many hours researching the best way to tackle this, and I ended up going down this path. I grabbed the old copy of Qfinder, pulled down the 3.3.2 firmware from qnap.ru, and went thru the initialization on the 2nd hard drive just to see if how far it would get and it got all the way through. So, I shut it down and put the first hard drive back in, booted up and the original problem came back, so I had to think at that point that it was an issue with the hard drive. Now I'm down the road of trying to figure out what data I can get access to on the drive, if anything. Anyone have any suggestions with that? I have an external drive dock to use and when I hook it up to Windows it wants to initialize the disk (probably because it is formatted by the Qnap) which will probably make the data on it unrecoverable (?).

Also, if anyone has the 3.3.3 firmware file to send me I would appreciate it, since they took the 109 firmware down.

Drew

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”