How to use two LAN ports?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
tomiisek
Getting the hang of things

How to use two LAN ports?

Post by tomiisek »

Does it have any sense to connect both LAN ports to the same router? Is there any advantage of that? Or is it better to connect the second LAN port with my laptop? Thanks.
TS-873A RAID6
TS-653B RAID5
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: How to use two LAN ports?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

the use for using both lan ports to the same ...switch... is for aggregation.

this video explains it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwPDQrgDAI

As displayed by the test results, Port Trunking can increase bandwidth on a QNAP NAS . But please note the following:

-Port Trunking cannot break the speed limit of a single Ethernet device, but it offers a sufficient amount of bandwidth for multiple users connecting at the same time. For example, if two 1Gb NICs are used for Port Trunking, the aggregated network bandwidth will be increased to 2Gb, but the network speed will remain 1Gb.

-Available system resources and the maximum read/write speeds of the storage devices on the NAS will greatly influence the overall bandwidth.
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... -protocol/

i used to plug the qnap into router also. but i recommend to use a dedicated switch instead.

modem > router > switch (other devices connected to switch.... your qnap... pc clients... etc)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
tomiisek

Post by tomiisek »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 pm the use for using both lan ports to the same ...switch... is for aggregation.
i recommend to use a dedicated switch instead.
modem > router > switch
Thank you Moogle Stiltzkin!

Just one question about switch. Now is my laptop connected to NAS via Home Getaway HG2511 and maximum file transfer speed is under 5500 kbps.
When I connect my laptop to NAS via switch does maximum file transfer speed increase radically or be the same as it is now via Home Getaway?
Thanks.

TS-873A RAID6
TS-653B RAID5
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the switch ports of that gateway are 1GbE so there should be no throttling happening with two devices on that same switch (as long as both are connected with full speed)
tomiisek

Post by tomiisek »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:52 am the switch ports of that gateway are 1GbE so there should be no throttling happening with two devices on that same switch (as long as both are connected with full speed)
My question is - can an extra switch help me?

Now my laptop is cable connected to the gateway and both download and upload speed is 90 Mbps.

NAS is connected to the gateway by two port cables and download and upload speed is 360 Mbps.

But when I want transfer something between my laptop and NAS via the gateway so maximum file transfer speed is limited to 11,5 Mbps.

Is there any way how to increase file transfer speed between my laptop and NAS via the gateway? Or via new switch?

Thanks!
TS-873A RAID6
TS-653B RAID5
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Simple answer is no, not unless you test it and find a difference (in other words some other issue running through router or switch).
Single host can never see more than 1GbE speeds in this setup.
tomiisek

Post by tomiisek »

My Ethernet LAN card is only 10/100 Mbps can file transfer speed increase when I buy USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter?
TS-873A RAID6
TS-653B RAID5
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Please be clearer, an adapter going where?
What is 10/100 Mbps your laptop and/or your switch?
And what Qnap is it?
tomiisek

Post by tomiisek »

10 / 100 Mbps is my laptop.

Gateway is 1 Gbps and QNAP is 1 Gbps as well.

File transfer speed between my laptop and QNAP is apparently limited to 11,5 MBps by my laptop.

So I want to know if USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter can increase file transfer speed to 115 MBps.
TS-873A RAID6
TS-653B RAID5
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

question is ..does a laptop with 10/100 network port have usb 3 ports ?
tomiisek

Post by tomiisek »

Yes, my laptop has two USB3 ports and when I connect external hard drives to them file transfer speed is about 115 MBps so I think that bottleneck is in my LAN port.
TS-873A RAID6
TS-653B RAID5
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

then a usb3 1GbE lan port should help

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”