TR-004 Single Static Volume

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Pocdck
Starting out

TR-004 Single Static Volume

Post by Pocdck »

Hi All

This is the problem:
I have a TS-451+
I have just bought a TR-004 and 1 x 8TB WD RED.
I want to create a single static volume on the TR-004 using that 8TB WD RED.
How do I do that? I might have misunderstood something, but I just cannot work it out.

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TR-004 Single Static Volume

Post by dolbyman »

unless you never plan to use the other bays in the tr004, you should fill them from the beginning ..otherwise you will be stuck with only one drive

what options for volume creation are shown to you ?
dips are set to what option?
Pocdck
Starting out

Post by Pocdck »

Thanks so much for replying.

Oh, really? I thought I could just create four separate single static volumes like I have in my NAS.

I go to volume creation and then it allows me to select between static, thick and thin.
I select 'static' and then when I select the TR-004 from the Enclosure Unit drop down menu I get prompted with a window:
"Only One Raid is allowed in NAS Storage Mode"
"To expand NAS storage space, the external RAID device must be configured with exactly one RAID group. Would you like to reconfigure the external raid device now."
If I click OK, it brings up the External RAID Device Configuration Wizard, but because I only have one disk all the options are greyed out.
Why can't I just configure each single disk in the TR-004 as a single static drive, just like in the NAS? Why doesn't 'single' appear under RAID type? Do I have to format the disk first or something?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I think that mode is unupported by the integrated raid chip

only one volume is supported and you cannot add more single disks or add disks to an established raid

we had a similar topic last week
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Pocdck wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:00 pm Thanks so much for replying.

Oh, really? I thought I could just create four separate single static volumes like I have in my NAS.

I go to volume creation and then it allows me to select between static, thick and thin.
I select 'static' and then when I select the TR-004 from the Enclosure Unit drop down menu I get prompted with a window:
"Only One Raid is allowed in NAS Storage Mode"
"To expand NAS storage space, the external RAID device must be configured with exactly one RAID group. Would you like to reconfigure the external raid device now."
If I click OK, it brings up the External RAID Device Configuration Wizard, but because I only have one disk all the options are greyed out.
Why can't I just configure each single disk in the TR-004 as a single static drive, just like in the NAS? Why doesn't 'single' appear under RAID type? Do I have to format the disk first or something?
I would re-read the product page. The box has a number of limitations

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/tr-004

RAID migration, capacity expansion Not Supported
Note:
1. The TR-004 does not support the following: the TS-128, TS-228, TS-131, TS-231, TS-431, TS-431U, and NAS models that cannot be updated to QTS 4.3.6 (or later).
2. The TR-004 can only be used as an individual storage pool or volume on the NAS. Its storage pool/volume cannot be combined into the connected NAS. NAS applications cannot be installed on the TR-004.
3. Drives can only be migrated from one TR-004 to another TR-004. The files and data stored on drives moved to/from a NAS (or another device) will not be recognized.
Pocdck
Starting out

Post by Pocdck »

Thanks for helping with this.

This is extremey frustrating. It seems I've bought a box that does not do the very thing I bought it to do.

This might be an angry thought based on ignorance of basic storage technology, but what f*cking moron would develop a four enclosure box that can only function as "a single volume". Surely, having four enclosures would at minimum make it possible to have four single static volumes. Pure idiocy. I even discussed this on the buyer's thread and it was not made clear. My fault, of course, for not researching this properly, but such a counter-intuitive restriction. And my experience with Qnap had been so good...now, I curse them.
Pocdck
Starting out

Post by Pocdck »

How is possible that the TS-431P, a 4 bay NAS capable running single static volumes in each enclosure is cheaper than than the TR-004 which can basically do nothing?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Pocdck wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:39 am How is possible that the TS-431P, a 4 bay NAS capable running single static volumes in each enclosure is cheaper than than the TR-004 which can basically do nothing?
Good point, the TR-004 should be a lot cheaper. :S

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Hmm, thought of specifying TR-004 as a DAS but just seen the speeds with 4 x SSDs. 204MB/s write speed (with SSDs)!
USB 3.0 has theoretical max of 625MB/s.

Someone tell me I am wrong!
tr004.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jirka
First post

Post by jirka »

Actually what can be done to use TR-004 as a storage for individual drives is not to connect it as NAS Expansion Unit, but as External Drive (DAS, as mentioned above). The same way you would use to connect it to Win or Linux computer (as is one of the use cases for TR-004).
What needs to be done - set TR-004 to Individual mode (switches at the back of the enclosure), then press SET for 3 seconds (refer to the manual for precise instructions). Then you will not be able to create pools and manage the various peculiarities, but with single drives you probably don't need to anyway.
(I have written this because it wasn't clear to me from the "DAS" mentions that this is the way to go.)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”