TVS-672XT LAN LED continuously flashing

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Santa_Maria
New here

TVS-672XT LAN LED continuously flashing

Post by Santa_Maria »

Hi community,

I have had assembled, installed and configured two TVS-672xT. The assembled devices are: 5x WD 4TB, 1x Samsung 860 1TB and one m.2 bar Samsung 970 mit 1TB for caching.

This machine is intended for hot and cold data storage, no servers like WEB, media or so. It works fine, also thunderbolt works fast, as expected.
The synchronizing of the 5 RAID5 disks is finished, the HD LEDs shine constant, no activities at the HDs.

BUT: the orange LAN-LED flashes continuously and with constant frequency about 5 times per second (5Hz).

No activities inside the network, no forwarded ports from outside.

These are no normal network access, I interpret this as fault or error warning.
I tried to shut down most of the services, but without success.

Do you have some hints for me.
Br Karl
TVS-672xt, TS-419P+, TS-221+, Gb-LAN, iMac 27" Retina, MacBookPro 15" Retina, MacBookAir 13", Apple-TV, iPad2, iPhone, Unify Network components
P3R
Guru

Re: TVS-672XT LAN LED continuously flashing

Post by P3R »

Santa_Maria wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:41 am BUT: the orange LAN-LED flashes continuously and with constant frequency about 5 times per second (5Hz).

No activities inside the network, no forwarded ports from outside.
In any local network you'll have constant activity, it's never quiet. At the very least you'll have regular broadcasts that must be received to determine that they're not intended for the NAS.

Start using Wireshark if you want to go deep down technically into what really happens on your network.

Unfortunately the Qnap User Guides are slightly misleading when they say that network LED activity always mean that the "NAS is being accessed from the network".
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Santa_Maria
New here

Re: TVS-672XT LAN LED continuously flashing

Post by Santa_Maria »

Thx for the reply.

Yes, I know that there are lot of broadcasts on LAN, and yes, I know the rhythm of flashing such LAN LEDs; I have got additionally also two Qnap's a long time (TS-419+ TS-221).
But I 've never seen such obtrusive common mode flashing without any break. At the other side of the LAN cable at the switch end, the LED stand still, at times it flashes.
TVS-672xt, TS-419P+, TS-221+, Gb-LAN, iMac 27" Retina, MacBookPro 15" Retina, MacBookAir 13", Apple-TV, iPad2, iPhone, Unify Network components

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”