Setup of folders for specific purposes - best practice?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Aleixandre
New here

Post by Aleixandre »

As a beginner with NAS and QNAP (TS-451+, QTS 4.3.6) I'm asking for help on best practice to create shared folders for specific purposes:
  1. I want to create folders for specfic files (mainly office documents, different content categories and file types) which shall be accessible (read/write) by a subset of the NAS users.
  2. I want to create a folder for backups of a few devices, with one subfolder per device (desktop PC, notebook, tablet PC, smartphone), preferably with access rights only for the NAS admin and priviledged backup tasks running on the devices.
Question 1
For both cases a. and b. I think they neither match the purpose of the /Multimedia folder nor the purpose of a home folder (/homes/UserName). What is a reasonable place, what are reasonable settings (e.g. ownership, access rights) for such folders?

During my experiments, I created a top level folder /Purpose as a shared folder and below some subfolders. The result was that /Purpose included not just my subfolders but some additional items. They seem to be have been created automatically: .syncing_db, @Recycle, admin, UserName. They are visible not just under FileStation but also for a personal Windows PC user in an ordinary Windows Explorer.
I assume that /Purpose/.syncing_db is a system file which shall not be touched and that /Purpose/@Recycle is a network recycle bin where a personal user can recover accidentally deleted files from. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Question 2
What is the purpose or meaning of the automatically created subfolders /Purpose/admin and /Purpose/UserName?

Question 3
Assuming that /Purpose/.syncing_db, /Purpose/admin and /Purpose/UserName are system folders which a personal PC user should not care about(?): How can these folders be made invisible to a personal Windows PC user (in order to avoid confusion or accidential modification)?

Acknowledgments: I already read several postings in this forum on purposes of the factory default folders, on real versus virtual folders, creation of users and home folders. These threads were very helpful to me and provided valuable information I did not find in the QNAP manuals and tutorials. Thank's a lot to the community and especially to the Gurus :-)
Aleixandre
New here

Post by Aleixandre »

Within now 2.5 months, there have been 171 views but 0 replies :? - Is there something wrong with my questions? :?: No user with more expertise/experience out there who want to help? As stated I already read several papers from QNAP and postings in this forum but I'm still unsecure what's the best way to meet the above requirements.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Setup of folders for specific purposes - best practice?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

only answered some of what you are asking about, if not all :mrgreen:

if you want to change permission rights, you can do so in qts > shares> settings

as for appropriate setting between normal office employees vs admin, i'm not too sure since i use my nas for my own private so i don't share access.

you could create general access to shares limited to local lan ip range with guest access, meaning login is not required, however they must be of a certain ip range to access.

or perhaps you could allow creation of individual qts credentials, so that to access, users must input their allotted credentials for access. either unique login credentials or shared account (but with logs to lan ip of machine accessing).

the default admin account (an admin permission level accounts) would only be given to the admin user for moderation. Anybody that does not require all encompassing permission should not have access to these admin accounts.

to limit chances of malware spreading, there are a few suggestions
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=152192&p=737317&hi ... up#p737255
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”