On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
lookingforhelp
New here

Re: On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Post by lookingforhelp »

So count me as another TS-451 owner with the solid red lights of death and mine died right around when everyone's did too. I am not that savvy when it comes to NAS tech. i have tried the power up with empty bays and them putting the drives back, mine is still dead. I'm running Raid-5 on four 3tb WD Reds. Is the only way to get access to my data is to buy anoter x51 NAS, put my drives in that replacement and hope for the best? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Any migration compatible NAS should work

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration/

To avoid situations like this, you need external backups of your data at all times
kirovoleg
New here

Post by kirovoleg »

Same happened to me today with a 451+
First it sent a Fan error message, while checking the interface had nbo FAN and no temps details.
Made the mistake of rebooting, then it started beeping continously and had to unplug.
Apter connecting it to power fan started spinning and had no status led, blinking LAN, stuck blue USB and HDD3 stuck on red with or without disks.

After checking the forums I found this one:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=157459

As stated in that post, I measured voltage between pins 1 and 8 of LPC-CN1 and got 2 volts.
I placed a 100 ohm resistor on a breadboard and connected it to those pins and after that it booted normally.
raidforsaving
Easy as a breeze

Post by raidforsaving »

Wow! Add me to the list of users affected by this bug. My TS-651 has just had this happen. It was working great in the past week, and then I walk into the room where it is this morning - the fan is going on high, and it is unreachable. Power off/on and it will not boot or even try to it seems. Now Disk1 & 2 LEDs are Red (after reboot attempt).

I guess I'll be migrating the disks to a new chassis. It sounds like there isn't actually an issue with the disks - based on the lack of info on that here.
Model name: TS-653D
Firmware version: 4.5.3.1697 build 20210611
Volumes: EXT4, Encrypted volume
Previous: TS-651 dead by CPU bug
ragestriker
New here

Post by ragestriker »

Yeah I'm also having the same issue with my TS-451+

no hard drives connected, no boot.
fan is spinning and I get a solid blue LAN light and solid red USB light
no HDMI signal out to display either

tried factory resetting device with reset pin at the back but no go...

looking to see if I can boot to recovery mode or something... not overly impressed at the moment, device isn't very old. pretty sure my data will be lost...
just hoping the device isn't bricked/lost...

**UPDATE - I've opened a support ticket with QNAP Support - Will update here when I hear back from them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

tried the resistor trick yet ?

data is on the disks ..shouldnt be lost..but should have external backups at all times anyways
romka1977
New here

Post by romka1977 »

Count me in with the same issue

TS-451

1. Initial "Fan failure"
2. Not booting/beeping with or without drives. No HDMI output

Trying "resistor workaround" now but it is stuck in some sort of on/off cycle with no HDMI. :(

UPDATE: It has booted, finally....with 100 Ohm between pins 1 and 10. Not sure what exactly broke the reboot loop.
ragestriker
New here

Post by ragestriker »

romka1977 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 am Count me in with the same issue

TS-451

1. Initial "Fan failure"

Trying "resistor workaround" now but it is stuck in some sort of on/off cycle with no HDMI. :(

UPDATE: It has booted, finally....with 100 Ohm between pins 1 and 10. Not sure what exactly broke the reboot loop.

Whats does the resistor trick involve, do I need to know how to solder? Where are pins one and ten on the board? Sorry bit of a noob when it comes to that's stuff in particular.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you could even use thin tinker connectors (like for raspi gpio) and just shove the resistor in the ends...no soldering neccessary
romka1977
New here

Post by romka1977 »

ragestriker wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 pm
romka1977 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:06 am Count me in with the same issue

TS-451

1. Initial "Fan failure"

Whats does the resistor trick involve, do I need to know how to solder? Where are pins one and ten on the board? Sorry bit of a noob when it comes to that's stuff in particular.
EDITED:

Two options:
1. basic soldering skills required, nothing is rocket science though. Picture of the connector and soldered resistor is posted here (viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089&start=210) . It is for TS-453 but on TS-451 it is same connector

2. As dolbyman suggested - using "dupont jumper cables" (just google them) - no need soldering
ragestriker
New here

Post by ragestriker »

Ah okay, yeah that looks simple enough... with the dupoint jumper cables, I still need the 100 Ohm resistor between the pin's 1 and 10
ill buy some online and let you know how I go.

Thanks heaps
dawsonkm
Getting the hang of things

Post by dawsonkm »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 pm you could even use thin tinker connectors (like for raspi gpio) and just shove the resistor in the ends...no soldering neccessary
Thanks for this suggestion dolbyman. I wouldn't have thought to do this and will save time
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TVS-1282T QTS 4.5.4.2012- Static Vol 8 x 16TB Hdd Raid 6, Static Vol 4 X 8TB SSD Raid 5 Using 10GBE
stchanq
First post

Post by stchanq »

Hi everyone, Longtime lurker, created an account just to chime in.

I think the same thing just happened to my 5+ year old TS-451 (purchased 7/2015).

I was literally using it one minute, then it was dead the next.

- No status light
- USB light blue, even though nothing is plugged in
- LAN light still green and flashing
- HDDs were red, but strangely after a lot of plugging/unplugging/power cycling they are now green

No HDMI out, no response to ssh or web, 3/10 sec reset does nothing.

Will crack it open this weekend if I find time, so eager to learn about any workarounds that anyone might have discovered
ragestriker
New here

Post by ragestriker »

stchanq wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:12 pm Hi everyone, Longtime lurker, created an account just to chime in.

I think the same thing just happened to my 5+ year old TS-451 (purchased 7/2015).

I was literally using it one minute, then it was dead the next.

- No status light
- USB light blue, even though nothing is plugged in
- LAN light still green and flashing
- HDDs were red, but strangely after a lot of plugging/unplugging/power cycling they are now green

No HDMI out, no response to ssh or web, 3/10 sec reset does nothing.

Will crack it open this weekend if I find time, so eager to learn about any workarounds that anyone might have discovered
Interesting / When I sent this forum link to QNAP there response was pretty weak and wanted to charge me $250 to get repairs which didn't include any shipping costs.
I'm still waiting on my order of resistor, once I receive that, I try the pin 1 and 8 trick ill report back if successful or not. Does sounds like that trick is the only one that works at this time.
rkbuye
New here

Post by rkbuye »

Hey guys,
I got the same issue - TS-451.
-My NAS was not connecting to the network, I checked it out and all it had on was a solid status light.
-I rebooted and now I have a blinking status light and what looks to be a failed drive 1 red light.
-It does not connect to the network.
-I tried the reset and no-go. I held the reset button in the back and nothing happened. Tried power cycling with button held in and nothing.
-I pulled all the drives and tried to reboot and no go.
-No HDMI out working so can't plug in monitor.
-Fan running.
-LAN light blinking orange.
-Qfinder does not see the NAS on the network.

Not sure what to do? :roll: I hope it is not screwed, I have all my family photo's on it. :shock:

I will keep reading! :geek: - Thanks - Ryan

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”