On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
namnd8191
First post

Re: On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Post by namnd8191 »

ragestriker wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:32 am
stchanq wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:12 pm Hi everyone, Longtime lurker, created an account just to chime in.

I think the same thing just happened to my 5+ year old TS-451 (purchased 7/2015).

I was literally using it one minute, then it was dead the next.

- No status light
- USB light blue, even though nothing is plugged in
- LAN light still green and flashing
- HDDs were red, but strangely after a lot of plugging/unplugging/power cycling they are now green

No HDMI out, no response to ssh or web, 3/10 sec reset does nothing.

Will crack it open this weekend if I find time, so eager to learn about any workarounds that anyone might have discovered
Interesting / When I sent this forum link to QNAP there response was pretty weak and wanted to charge me $250 to get repairs which didn't include any shipping costs.
I'm still waiting on my order of resistor, once I receive that, I try the pin 1 and 8 trick ill report back if successful or not. Does sounds like that trick is the only one that works at this time.
I got the same issue Ts-431
I tried that trick and It's work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ragestriker
New here

Post by ragestriker »

Okay, Finally got around to trying this out... and so far its not looking good for me.

my board only had 9 pins, and I remembered early on in the thread it said something about pins 1 & 8 so managed to solder on a 100 oms resistor to ping 1 & 8
QNAP2.png
QNAP1.png
But I am getting different lights from before - now I'm getting full green HDD1 & HDD2 (only when hard drives connected) no lights when no drives connected but fan spins.
No HDMI Signal.
QNAP3.png
Can someone please check out the pictures and make sure its looks right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SpodBoy
First post

Post by SpodBoy »

I've just had this same issue occur. Was thinking of upgrading my unit (TS-451) anyway. Can i just unplug the drives and get a TS-451+ or TS-451D2 and plug the drives in to that with no data loss? Or do i need to go down the resistor route, and buy the new unit and migrate or restore data to that?

Also which is the better option to go for? Thanks :)
jkaipa
New here

Post by jkaipa »

Today is Feb 19, 2021. I have the exact same problem with my QNAP TS-451. This problem has started after a few power outages. Still looking for a solution.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Today is still Feb 19,2021 PST (why did you write that?)

Have your tied mentioned fix and why do you not run a UPS to avoid sudden powerloss ?
p2dewit
First post

Post by p2dewit »

I have a TS-853 Pro and mine died Thursday feb 18. Did the 100 ohm resistor trick between pin 1 & 8 and it booted successfully again.
I read a lot of QNAP’s breaking in this timeframe. Called QNAP and they are ‘not aware they said’.
yeemp
New here

Post by yeemp »

Just joining this thread as my 453mini suddenly died on Feb 23, 2021. All the context here has been super helpful just to understand what the issue is likely to be. All my symptoms are pointing to the processor clock issue/bug. In a nutshell, after removing all the hard drives and trying to start the empty unit, I could not reach the BIOS screen. Hence, I'm not very optimistic that my open QNAP support ticket is going to reveal anything I don't already know. thanks to all for the support community!
rkbuye
New here

Post by rkbuye »

Same issue as you guys.

1. Yes, I have been keeping up with any updates.
2. Tried booting up with HDD, no beeps or sounds were heard, waited 5 min, no beeps or sounds.
3. Pulled all 4 hard drives, waited and no beeps or sounds were heard, waited 5 min, no beeps or sounds.

HDMI port still does not work with either boot up so can not use monitor.

Status light is off
LAN light is blinking orange
USB light is solid blue (nothing plugged in)
HDD1 = off
HDD2 = solid red (no hard drives in bays)
HDD3 = off
HDD4 = off
I have this directly plugged into a wall, no upgraded memory, no USB devices plugged in. Just power, LAN and HDMI. I tried without HDMI and same results.

Tried to boot up multiple times and same results. QNAP Fan is running.

I have a support ticket into QNAP, I am assuming the answer will be to ship it to them to fix but not looking forward to the shipping and fix bill. Or do I just buy a new one and wait until this happens again. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rkbuye
New here

Post by rkbuye »

Update - I broke down and tried the 100 ohm resister trick and at it worked.

Thoughts - Either I buy a new NAS or try the resistor fix and if it doesn't work, still buy a new NAS so nothing really to lose.

Went to the electronics store, picked up a few items. I am not an electronics guy but this seemed fairly straight forward.

NAS - TS-451
Step #1 - Read all the issues in this thread and confirmed similar problem. Found resistor trick solution.
Step #2 - I watched this vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5k8FWe6u60
Step #3 - I watched this vid to confirm how to take it apart
Step #4 - Hooked up resistor to bread board to confirm nas would start with resistor - it did.
Step #5 - Soldered resistor in place - pins 1 and 10 as per instructions and video in this thread.
Step #6 - Booted NAS and installed any updates.

Seems to be working, no issues so far. All HD lights are green, no blue USB light, no HD issues that I can see = all good for now.

I uploaded some pics - not the greatest but maybe a reference for you guys.

I can't take credit for anything, all the guys in this thread figured it out - I just followed what they did.

QNAP - Not impressed - watch the vid in step #2 and go to 6:40sec and sounds like QNAP was aware there is a chip problem and still sold these defective chips, not impressed. Goes to show how many people are having these problems and the ones on here are the ones on the forums. Plenty of people don't have a clue what happened.

Good luck - I will update if anything decides to go south! :DD
chrisstinson
New here

Post by chrisstinson »

Just had the same issue happen with my TS-651 today. HDD lights are green, no status light. No HDMI out. Removing drives, removing LAN cables, USB cables, RAM, do not work. Resetting via paperclip didn't work.

I didn't realize it had the cpu with the clock bug, otherwise I would have dealt with it earlier. I've had some Lenovo machines, Netgate firewalls, and Synology which were all affected by the same C2000 issue 1-2 years ago, and all were replaced by the vendors outside of warranty. QNAP does not seem to be interested in that.
rkbuye
New here

Post by rkbuye »

Yah, I tried all the same as you did above. I opened a support ticket with QNAP and they replied with the following

Hi,

Did you update the firmware recently? Can you try the following hardware troubleshooting steps:

Booting with HDD:
1. Power on the NAS with the HDD.
2. After 5-10 sec, do you hear a beep? If so, continue.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes, do you hear a second beep? If not, follow the step to boot without HDD below.

Booting without HDD:
1. Power off the NAS. Pull out the drives.
2. Power on the NAS without HDD. After 5-10 sec, do you hear a beep? If so, continue.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes, do you hear a second beep? If so, use Qfinder to see if it can detect the NAS on the network with the Ethernet plugged in.
Please do your best to describe the behavior and let me know if you hear any beeps.
If you have any upgraded RAM please try the same steps above with the default system memory installed.
If you have any UPS/USB devices attached to the NAS, please remove it as well.

Notes: If you can see NAS on Qfinder, please do not initialize it.

I feel no amount of troubleshooting would have got this to work since it seems like it is a hardware issue and from what others said, they won't fix outside of warranty unless you pay the bucks to ship it, fix it etc. Probably end up close to same cost as buying a new one. Kinda ** and even though I got mine working, still don't trust it for any length of time and will probably buy another, just not sure if I want a QNAP again or not. Hope the newer ones have better chips but I guess time will tell.

The resistor trick wasn't to bad to do and I learned something so was not a complete waste of time.
kotechile
First post

Post by kotechile »

Same issue just happened to me with my TS 251+
Thanks you for sharing the resistor trick. I will try it as soon as possible.
rkbuye
New here

Post by rkbuye »

Here is my response from QNAP, not much help! :x

Hi,

The main board seems to be defective and would need to send in for repair. Unfortunately, this unit is now EOL (end of life), so we no longer have parts to repair this unit. Please consider purchasing a new compatible unit like TS-453D and migrate all HDDs to a new unit. All data and settings will remain intact after doing system migration. Please reference this docs below.

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... he-old-one

Here's a link for NAS migration compatibility.

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration/
theangi
New here

Post by theangi »

I cannot believe this whole story... my QNAP TS'251 failed recently just as all others in this thread (and who knows how many others outside this forum!). QNAP should really do something, at least do some kind of refunding to upgrade to a newer unit... I'm really disappointed. I'll try the resistor workaround, as soon as I'll find a resistor.

I'm quite scared for how long it will last before being hit again by the bug. Does anyone know how long this workaround could be applied? And what could be done to avoid getting hit by the bug again?
rkbuye
New here

Post by rkbuye »

theangi wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:21 am I cannot believe this whole story... my QNAP TS'251 failed recently just as all others in this thread (and who knows how many others outside this forum!). QNAP should really do something, at least do some kind of refunding to upgrade to a newer unit... I'm really disappointed. I'll try the resistor workaround, as soon as I'll find a resistor.

I'm quite scared for how long it will last before being hit again by the bug. Does anyone know how long this workaround could be applied? And what could be done to avoid getting hit by the bug again?
No idea how long it will last or why it happened but it does **. As of today, the fix I did is still working fine. I hope it lasts awhile yet, don't feel like buying another one if I don't have to at this point.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”