On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
scottyb8
First post

Re: On boot, solid red HDD light(no inserted HDD) w/ No status light.

Post by scottyb8 »

Exact same thing happened to me this morning on my TS-251. Woke up to find the NAS on with the fan at full blast, unresponsive. After restarting the unit, both HDD lights were red, system light off. Has anyone been able to find the root cause or fix for this?

Thanks,
Scott
visiter555
Starting out

Post by visiter555 »

Exact same problem this morning (1 Nov 2020) on my TS-251. No fan warning though and no Status LED and the fan IS working.

Can I take the HDDs and install in my T#-451 (after removing temporarily the 451's drives) and recover the data?
TS-451U
4 x WD Red 4.0 WD40EFRX TB drives in Raid 5 configuration

TS-251U
2 x WD Red 4.0 WD40EFRX TB drives in Raid 1
pauliecobra
First post

Post by pauliecobra »

Anyone resolved this yet? Also have the same issue on my TS-451 after a fan failure email. The fan seems fine though after I rebooted it.

Am getting solid green drive lights after removing the drives and booting up when plugging in mains supply, but if i power cycle using the on/off button, all lights are solid red.

I have tried to reset it, but the box is not responding to that at all.

Looks to me like the box is not completing POST...
craigkz
First post

Post by craigkz »

Today is November 2, 2020. I have a TS-251. I walked into computer room and fan running at full speed. I powered it down, and back up and EXACT SAME as others...status light is faint, LAN flashing yellow, USB is blue, and HDD1 and 2 are both solid red. Looking for help.
tvolders
First post

Post by tvolders »

Hello,

Go the same issue with a TS-651.
At the moment I push the power button, all hdd light turn red, bluetooth is blue and no light for Status.

With or without disk - no change

Fan are running

Is it Dead?
if yes,any chance to get things back with same device? any experience - I know it should but...

thanks

Tim
wongwk38
First post

Post by wongwk38 »

Exactly the same in my TS651, total dead and replaced with a new TS673 now. After setting up the new 673 and i found that the log showed both sys fans (651) failed on 2Nov evening, no response afterwards. When I unplug the power supply a day later, and try to boot up the 651, all HDD led gone solid red, behaviour same as @tvolders ‘s case.

Anyone have update on this issue?
I am trying to replace the DOM unit on the mainbaord and have a try, when I have time.....
thumprchgo
First post

Post by thumprchgo »

I have a TS-251+ and now in the last week the same problem is happening to mine. Bought in 2015, 3 TB WD Red NAS drives, in 2017 successfully upgraded to 6 TB Iron Wolf drives, not any problems. Now, halfway through upgrading to Irn Wolf 8 TB drives, this red lights on front panel, I had slot 2 drive upgraded to 8 TB Wolf drive. I removed the slot 2 8TB drive and put back in the 6 TB drive, won't find the drive. Both the second 6TB and both 8TB Wolf drives work fine on my Win 10 pro desktop, and also my MacBook Pro 15"
gartz
New here

Post by gartz »

I’m having the same problem with the 251+, after restart the status light stays off and the HDD1 stays red even without any HDD in the device.

I don’t know what to do, since this device was sent to my family home in Brazil and due to COVID-19 there is no way to replace it.

Does anyone found a fix to the issue?
dawsonkm
Getting the hang of things

Post by dawsonkm »

This all sounds like the Intel C2000 processor. Google that to see more info. I am assuming the TS-X51 has a celeron in it (but didnt check)
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TVS-1282T QTS 4.5.4.2012- Static Vol 8 x 16TB Hdd Raid 6, Static Vol 4 X 8TB SSD Raid 5 Using 10GBE
conspicuus
New here

Post by conspicuus »

Same issue here = Ts=251. Fan spin up as well. Must be a firmware issue for the 251. Seems odd that so many of the same model suddenly dies. :oops:
cuibonobo
Starting out

Post by cuibonobo »

dawsonkm wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 am This all sounds like the Intel C2000 processor. Google that to see more info. I am assuming the TS-X51 has a celeron in it (but didnt check)
This is a great find. My NAS was a TS-451 with what I think was an Intel Celeron J1800. The C2000 bug was for Atom chips, but part of the design was also used for this family of Celeron chips. Seems like our NAS devices have been bricked because of a processor design flaw. More information on the bug: https://www.servethehome.com/another-at ... vli89-bug/
onekon
New here

Post by onekon »

We have the exact same problem with a TS-451, QNAP needs to step up to the plate here and let us know what the status is with this issue. I seems odd that everyone's NAS broke roughly around the same time. Did it break for you guys after a firmware upgrade? Is this a tactic to ensure further sales of NAS drives like a deliberate timed failure?
azbr13
First post

Post by azbr13 »

few days ago i got same issue with my TS-251+. without any reason.
I came home and see lights - zero status, red hdd1/hdd2 and only orange lan.
my router and qfinder doesn't see anything.

i assuming this is something wrong with last firmware, because i update system few days early (this sunday or last sunday). but update goes normal that day.
or maybe something broke lan driver or something.

Has anyone tried to restore the server using a firmware restore? and what about last update ?
cuibonobo
Starting out

Post by cuibonobo »

From what I can tell, our systems are bricked and cannot be restored.
mahtani1
First post

Post by mahtani1 »

TS-451 here, had the exact same issue, found this page, and raised a case with QNAP, i'm being told that because my system is out of warrantee nothing can be done. IMHO this is akin to apple pushing an update bricking everyone with an Intel chip and then saying "tough **, come buy the new stuff".

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”