QNAP NAS not working after Firmware Upgrade, boot fails, reset not working

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Jacomo
New here

QNAP NAS not working after Firmware Upgrade, boot fails, reset not working

Post by Jacomo »

Hi,

I recently updated my TS-412 Firmware. Everything worked ok and after installation and the automatic reboot it just stopped working at all. The System seems to be stuck in the booting (Status LED is flashing red/green) and does not do anything - Waiting for several hours doesn't change anything. I have contacted support but all they suggested was to boot without HDDs (doesn't help - same problem) or Firmware Recovery. I tried the firmware recovery but the step where I am supposed to push the Reset Button and then Power does not work. The NAS always goes in the red/green flashing, no beeps, nothing. After I told that to the support team they just stopped replying. Very annoying! Does anybody here maybe have an idea what to do?

Best regards
Jacomo
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Re: QNAP NAS not working after Firmware Upgrade, boot fails, reset not working

Post by spikemixture »

Does qfinder see the NAS ?
If yes try firmware update from there.
You will need to d/l the firmware image before trying this......
Qnap TS-1277 1700 (48gb RAM) 8x10TB WD White,- Raid5, 2x M.2 Crucial 1TB (Raid 1 VM),
2x SSD 860 EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD 860 EVO 250GB (Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe 970 500gb NVME (Raid1 Plex and Emby server)
GTX 1050 TI
Qnap TVS-1282 i7 (32GB RAM) 6x8TB WD White - JBOD, 2x M.2 Crucial 500gb (Raid1 VM),
2x SSD EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD EVO 250gb (Raid1 Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe Intel 512GB NVME (Raid1-Servers)
Synology -1817+ - DOA
Drobo 5n - 5x4TB Seagate, - Drobo Raid = 15TB
ProBox 8 Bay USB3 - 49TB mixed drives - JBOD
All software is updated asap.
I give my opinion from my experience i.e. I have (or had) that piece of equipment/software and used it! :roll:
Jacomo
New here

Post by Jacomo »

No, cant see it in the QFinder. As stated, the NAS keeps getting stuck in the booting process.
IdiAdmin
First post

Post by IdiAdmin »

Just bought a TS-859 on eBay. Came with 8 drives! A bargain.

In setting it up, all was well, but alas, I clicked 'Update Firmware'.
And then I had the problem so many have mentioned, endless 'SYSTEM BOOTING>>>>>'

Fixed now? Yes. But I'm not exactly certain of what I did that fixed it.

1. As advised, power down, pull out all drives.
2. Power up.
3. No beep. Bad news.
4. But I bent a paper clip and pressed reset for at least 30 seconds.
5. No beep. Oh dear.
5. Power down. Switch off at power point for a minute.
6. Connect VGA monitor & USB keyboard.
7. Power up, hitting F11 repeatedly.
8. Monitor screen shows many things. Something at least is happening.
9. Power down
10. Reinsert drives
11. Power Up. Beep!
12. QNAP LCD now shows many new and encouraging messages.
13. So does VGA monitor.
14. Qfinder can now 'see' NAS.
15. We have ignition.

I had a similar glitch and cardiac arrest when I realised I did not need both ethernet cables connected, and pulled out one.
NAS went silly. Did the above again.

Just sharing my experience, by way of saying, 'Fear not, all is not lost' to others.
The beast has its quirks. It takes time to boot even when all is well.

It's now humming along nicely.

Idi Admin

PS Many of the advice forums I consulted advised things like 'You'd better take it back to your QNAP dealer', but this is not an option for some of us with out of date equipment.
Jacomo
New here

Post by Jacomo »

Thank you for that elaborated reply. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. Various restarts, wait time, with HDDs, without HDDs etc. - I think I tried everything. A LCD or VGA out is not present on my NAS. Its really ridiculous, never ever QNAP again. I will also post my story on social networks. It cant be that something which is meant to provide data security is so fragile and breaks after a firmware upgrade where there were no external issues like power outages etc. and then the support is basically non-responsive.
Doc5129
Starting out

Post by Doc5129 »

Hi All

Newbie here. I also made the mistake of allowing my TS-210 upgrade to the latest firmware - it then failed to restart.

Following online instructions involving a reset and connecting to a VMWare image on my PC I eventually got back to the stage where QNAPFinder would identify the device and allow me to install firmware. Tried this about 6 times, failed every time, tried with a selection of the last 6 firmware versions, still failed.

Eventually found a file called TS-210_20140612-4.1.0.Flash.img and this worked fine.

Looks like may machine doesn't work with any of latest firmware

Now I'm stuck on what appears to be a 2014 version, but I'm loathed to try anything newer, in case I end up back with a brick again

Any suggestions out there as to when/why newer firmware doesn't work, but an old one does?

Cheers

D
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

contact qnap to see why...maybe you need an intermediate firmware for you upgrade path
Doc5129
Starting out

Post by Doc5129 »

Thanks, seems I was too optimistic, even though I get past the "install firmware" step, I still end up with a brick. Have tried several suggested techniques, including just putting one drive in and letting that format. Reports successful, but on subsequent reboot, it doesn't seem to think it has any storage. Think I'm just going to give up on it and by a new enclosure
njarif
New here

Post by njarif »

I have the same problem with Qnap TS253A. Qnap: Please resolve this annoying issue
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

njarif wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:07 pm I have the same problem with Qnap TS253A. Qnap: Please resolve this annoying issue
vent you anger to QNAP then. these forums are community forums and not monitored by tech support staff. you need to Submit a ticket so that tech support are aware of your issue and have information regarding your setup to diagnose a solution.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”