QNAP TS-451D2 - Storage Pool 1 - Only 1/2 the TB's?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Racso57
Starting out

QNAP TS-451D2 - Storage Pool 1 - Only 1/2 the TB's?

Post by Racso57 »

Apologies for being late to the dance... I just received my first NAS; QNAP-TS451D2. I could only afford right now two Iron Wolf 8Tb. I setup a Storage Pool 1 with default RAID 1. I chose the max available. ~ 7.28Tb. I figured it was maxing 1 of the two. But I do not see now that It have ~ 12+ Tb's. It seems the second drive wasn't include/allocated/whatever.
I've been working on it... I don't understand why Storage Pool 1 for two 8TB drives is showing available space only for one? I probably did something wrong. I cannot add another Storage Pool or Extend the Volume. I'm guessing because it's not finished with it's eternally long synchronization... Currently 60.7% after ~ 24 hours.. is this right?

My Rig:
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600
Sabrent 2TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-451D2 - Storage Pool 1 - Only 1/2 the TB's?

Post by OneCD »

That’s how RAID 1 works. This is called "mirroring". The array will only have the capacity of one drive - no matter how many drives are in the array. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Racso57
Starting out

Post by Racso57 »

Again, Newbie apologies...1️⃣ So, of my two 8tb Iron Wolf drives I only have one available or 8tb's of storage? 2️⃣ I plan to install two more so, does this mean I will then have 3 drives (or +/- 21tb's) for storage and the one mirroring will be the mirror for the three? And 3️⃣, can i switch to RAID 5 from RAID 1 at that point.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) ..yes..again..that is how raid1 works
2)3)you will have to migrate raid1 to raid5 to add more disks(explained in the manual), with that it's not mirroring but parity (read up how it works if inclined to find out)
Racso57
Starting out

Post by Racso57 »

Thank You
Racso57
Starting out

Re: "One or More Storage Pools are Nearly Full"

Post by Racso57 »

Reading some of storageman's replies makes me somewhat weary to ask any question. Although, he says "ask me anything", I think it should be followed by "prepare to be scolded". Look, we weren't all born in a Data Center and many of us are enthusiast's and not professionals. That said, here goes MY question. I have a QNAP TS-451D2. I started with two 8TB Iron Wolf drives in RAID 1 and then learned that I'll only have half of it as usable storage. So today I added another 8Tb drive and it is "Migrating" whatever that is. Question: Does migrating need to finish before I see +/- 12TB available? And where exactly do I see that information. Yes, I get "read the manual". You mean the QTS 4.5x 559 page manual? I'm sure I'll get to it but then, why do we have this forum? Is it not too for us newbies?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: "One or More Storage Pools are Nearly Full"

Post by dolbyman »

Storageman hasn't been online in a year no idea what happened .. and that is why you shouldn't reply to old posts (but instead open a new one)

Speaking of a new one .. you had a thread opened .. why did you abandon it just to post here ?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=160424

I will mark this thread for closure and move this question back to your original thread
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic merged *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Racso57
Starting out

Post by Racso57 »

Well dolbyman "Guru", thanks for that. How about can you answer my question or do I "need to read the manual"?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Racso57 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 am Well dolbyman "Guru", thanks for that.
The "guru" status is provided automatically by the forum based on the number of posts that forum member has made. It's not chosen by the account holder. None of us can change or disable it. Don't interpret it literally.
Racso57 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 am How about can you answer my question or do I "need to read the manual"?
This is not the right way to ask for help. You're limiting the number of people willing to assist you by asking in this manner. We are all unpaid volunteers here and no-one is required to help you at-all. :roll:

So, if you do need help, lose the attitude.

Racso57
Starting out

Post by Racso57 »

And you still didn’t answer my question. Spent time scolding instead. Whatever. I’ll just ... “read the manual”. No time for #metoo’s here

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”