noob tr002 raid 1 with qnap external raid manager Cross platform Mac/Windows

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
seanruddy
New here

noob tr002 raid 1 with qnap external raid manager Cross platform Mac/Windows

Post by seanruddy »

I have just received my new tr002. I would like to have it as hardware raid 1. I want to be able to plug it into both my mac and my windows device (one at a time) as a direct attached storage.

Users must purchase a separate exFAT driver license. Do I have to purchase this for both mac and windows? How do I install it. To the device?
Do I have to set it to software control to run it with the qnap external raid manager to install the exFAT file system? Then switch it back to raid 1?

will this not work cross platform as hardware raid?

Thanks for any and all help.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: noob tr002 raid 1 with qnap external raid manager Cross platform Mac/Windows

Post by dolbyman »

exfat license is only for NAS devices.. the TR units are block storage and unaware what filesystem is running on them

Setup RAID1 either via software or hardware dip switches(see manual), after that it's just like any other external USB disk
seanruddy
New here

Re: noob tr002 raid 1 with qnap external raid manager Cross platform Mac/Windows

Post by seanruddy »

Thanks for the quick response!
OK so set the dip switches for raid 1. Hook it up and format it. If at some point an LED looks bad on one of the drives (back it all up) replace that with the same size drive asap.
These are not hot swappable correct?
So to replace disconnect drive from computer. safe remove usb unmount. turn the power off. Pull bad drive and insert new. power up. off and running again?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

TR00x has hotswappable drive bays .. so hotswap should be the way to recover your raid

in 99% of all cases, you do NOT want to shut down your NAS or DAS to swap raid member drives
seanruddy
New here

Post by seanruddy »

wow glad I asked!
What if they are both healthy but I just want to pull both and store them separately, in cold storage? Not a good idea?
Like pull one put it in a fire safe at my house. My coworker takes the other one to another location and put in a fire safe. Then we both come back turn it on and go. Not safe?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Breaking the RAID is not a backup method, so if you want backups of your external Data, use another external device (USB disk,NAS,DAS,etc)
seanruddy
New here

Post by seanruddy »

Thanks for imparting your knowledge!
So it is more complicated than a mirroring copy device. Does qnap or anyone make something like that? copy once out a fast usb and save on two drives?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no.. as said breaking a working RAID is NOT a backup.

So just do a manual or automated copy to another medium.. pretty easy
seanruddy
New here

Post by seanruddy »

Understood that raid is not the way to make that happen. I am just looking for ways to speed up some workflows pushing terabytes of data around the faster I can copy it out the more often it will happen. Pushing it out through a small pipe once and having it fork on the external sounds useful. I thought maybe I could use one of these for that.
Thanks a lot for your time.
seanruddy
New here

Post by seanruddy »

Hey Dolbyman, How do I update the firmware? Switch it from raid 1 to software and run the qnap external raid manager, then switch it back to raid 1?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I think the raid manager can always detect and update the tr..no need to destroy your data by playing with the switches
seanruddy
New here

Post by seanruddy »

so leave it in raid 1 but install and run the raid manager?
I know the switches kind of scare me. I kind of wish they were not so accessible.
seanruddy
New here

Post by seanruddy »

installed the raid manager and it sees the drive even though it's dip switches are in raid 1. updating it now.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”