[issue] first time QNAP TS-253D setup

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
johnK34
New here

[issue] first time QNAP TS-253D setup

Post by johnK34 »

Hi.

This is a desperate shoutout for help. I tried the QNAP support page but I just got stuck on having to supply loads of details I couldn't dig out.

I just bought a new TS-253D QNAP NAS and plugged in 2 200GB disks. I turned it on and connected it to a 55" TV via HDMI. QNAP started working (at least I hear the disks going on and off) and after a while it shows up a screen with the admin credentials needed to be used later on. Next screen shows a message saying...

"You must install HD Station before using HDMI output function. Using your web browser, log in to your NAS and install it from "Control Panel - Applications - HybridDesk Station".

In my router I can see that QNAP NAS has been assigned an IP adr. It is using the same subnet as the other computers I have at home. So it should be straight forward... and work fine. :)

Now when I try to browse to [NAS-IP]:8080 I cannot reach any web-gui as if there wasn't anything serving. The routers fw is turned off.

QFinderPro doesn't show anything currently, but it did a couple of hours ago. I could see the IP and it's name listed.

Cloud installation didn't work. Don't know why since my FW is turned off. Notable is that after several hours of running, while I still cannot access it, the QNAP NAS keeps working on the harddisks as if was doing something... like installing or whatever.

Can anyone hint me in what possibly could be wrong?

Thankful for any kind of help
Cheers
John
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: [issue] first time QNAP TS-253D setup

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

johnK34 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:55 am Hi.

This is a desperate shoutout for help. I tried the QNAP support page but I just got stuck on having to supply loads of details I couldn't dig out.
you can create support ticket here
https://service.qnap.com/

or you can do it through the helpdesk qpkg in qts

johnK34 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:55 am I just bought a new TS-253D QNAP NAS and plugged in 2 200GB disks.
200gb is awfully small capacity in this day and age. how are you configuring this? raid1? or single hdd volumes? Personally i recommend 2x 4tb hdds then running in raid1. Or you can go for higher capacities like 6-8tb or more. However keep in mind raid 1, basically you are only getting 50% usable space. so for my example 2x 4tb, you are basically only getting 4tb usable space not 8tb, in a raid1 :'

PS: i suggest you check those hdds you are using are in the compatibility list. Use only compatible HDDS for NAS :' DO NOT USE DESKTOP hdds. They are not the same as NAS hdds. Especially when using for raid configurations.
johnK34 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:55 am I turned it on and connected it to a 55" TV via HDMI. QNAP started working (at least I hear the disks going on and off) and after a while it shows up a screen with the admin credentials needed to be used later on. Next screen shows a message saying...

"You must install HD Station before using HDMI output function. Using your web browser, log in to your NAS and install it from "Control Panel - Applications - HybridDesk Station".
This is expected and working as normal. Basically, if you want to connect the QNAP to your HDTV via HDMI, you basically have to install HD station which is QNAPs app for being able to access the device over hdmi on your hdtv. You would still have to plug in a keyboard and mouse directly into the QNAP in order to navigate the QNAP hdstation interface.

johnK34 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:55 am In my router I can see that QNAP NAS has been assigned an IP adr. It is using the same subnet as the other computers I have at home. So it should be straight forward... and work fine. :)
do you mean auto DHCP? or did you reserve a static DHCP for your QNAP? I HIGHLY recommend that you set a static lan ip for your QNAP. Personally i do mine via QTS within network virtual switch settings on the QNAP. This way if the router reflash firmware for update and my configs are all gone, the QNAP static ip is still the same, because i set it on the QNAP rather than on the router.
johnK34 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:55 am Now when I try to browse to [NAS-IP]:8080 I cannot reach any web-gui as if there wasn't anything serving. The routers fw is turned off.

QFinderPro doesn't show anything currently, but it did a couple of hours ago. I could see the IP and it's name listed.
try plugging in an ethernet cable from your QNAP to your smart HDTV (assuming it has ethernet port which these days they do). Or plug it into a switch on the same network as your HDTV.

johnK34 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:55 am Cloud installation didn't work. Don't know why since my FW is turned off. Notable is that after several hours of running, while I still cannot access it, the QNAP NAS keeps working on the harddisks as if was doing something... like installing or whatever.
I am assuming you are trying to do the initial install for QNAP?

If this is the case, i strongly suggest you use an ethernet cable to connect the qnap device to your lan network (usually to a switch on your lan).

Then open qfinder, it will detect your qnap, it may prompt you to run the smart installation, click yes. Then follow the steps to setup your QNAP. If it doesn't prompt you for smart installation, you can right the qnap in the qfinder list and select that action.

there are videos online explaining how to setup your qnap the first time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4O_c6xGj0
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Here is an explanation about the qnap HDMI port usage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-NvP-v2Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzStvJEUQh4

viewtopic.php?t=111101

The HDMI 1.4 specification offers much different capabilities than earlier versions. Perhaps the most game-changing feature is the addition of an Ethernet channel (aka HEC), which allows a single HDMI cable to carry Internet data (up to 100 megabits per second) along with digital audio and video. That means the growing number of TVs and Blu-ray players that connect to the Internet won't require a separate Ethernet jack.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm

ts-253d uses HDMI 2.0

https://www.the-ambient.com/guides/hdmi ... ables-2080
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Also what exactly is it you are trying to do by setting up your QNAP to your HDTV via HDMI?

I recommend instead to connect your QNAP to a switch via an ethernet port.

Then use either plex or KODI to stream videos to your HDTV over your lan via ethernet.

In my own setup i have my QNAP and HDTV in different rooms. But i use a solid cat6 to go long distances (within a certain limit based on the specifications of course), so it has a switch on both ends. So i can get gigabit wired performance even at a rooms distance over the lan.

But if you are unable to do that, you can still have a switch connected to your HDTV, and have the QNAP connected to the same switch. The physical distance is quite close so you can get 1gbe speeds (assuming no faulty cables and the ports all support 1gbe).

or you could just stay the course and just use the HDMI method. Although i don't hear many people recommending this for a good experience. You will be dependent on using the QNAP HDstation app if you insist on doing it this way to connect your HDTV to the QNAP :'

anyhow, you can find kodi app here
https://qnapclub.eu/en

and you can find plex here
https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/#plex-app
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

If i had to make a guess, i would suspect your router DHCP is assigning lan ip to the QNAP which is NOT a static reserved ip. So it could be that your lan ip changed without you realizing it, so when you tried to use that ip, it didn't work. This is why it's important to have a static ip to prevent this problem.
NAS

Network

Resources
johnK34
New here

Post by johnK34 »

Wow, many thanks for many answers.

Let's see if I can feed you with more info around this.

The small SATA disks is just a test to make it work. I have 2 fairly new 6TB WD waiting to be mounted immediately after I have saved their data on a third disk. So the disks should not be an issue. I have raid:ed them before and they work like a charm.

I tried the QNAP support but got halfways and then got irritated over not coming through due to inconsistent requests and interface. I basically gave up and came here. :) I think I did the right thing.

I have already connected QNAP to my network with a TP cable and it shows up in my router and has got an IP address. So far so good.

The intention is to connect to my TV yes, because I have them both in my living room. But of course QNAP will be conntected to my LAN/router as well to shuffle the data around in the house. TV will be used only initially to install the QNAP NAS. Then it'll be disconnected and I'll only access it over the network when needed. Maybe initially also to install some app or whatever. I use the HDMI for TV and TP for LAN through my router. And I have keyboard to it as well, but I mostly use my laptops around in the house.

But to install HD Station, I guess I need to be presented an interface/console somewhere and this is what I expect to be presented when I go to a browser and hit at it's IP on port 8080, but nothing is answering there. I get no response at all as if there wasn't anything listening on the other end (QNAP server). That makes me think that something hasn't started up properly.

Same when I try using the QNAP Finder software of latest version - it doesn't find the QNAP NAS. :(

And yes I use static IP. Set in my router/switch. But I doubt that matters as long as I can address it in the webbrowser with correct IP. It's on the same subnet as my other computers, servers, mobile devices. From none of them I can reach the QNAP on it's IP at port 8080.

When you say I should try to plug an ethernet cable to the TV - I don't understand anymore... What would that solve? My TV won't communicate to the QNAP...

Apart from the latter, what you are recommending is what I have tried, but I get no response. :( I plugged in the TP cable and waited for the beep (assuming the intial setup has finished) and after a while I downloaded and installed qnap finder both on linux ubuntu laptop and win 10 laptop to see if QNAP could be found over TCP/IP, but it showed up only once quickly and then never again. I haven't tested the Mac yet though, but I doubt it will work better there.

Issue seems to be it doesn't show up on the network. Like at 7:53 in this flick you sent me... https://youtu.be/OE4O_c6xGj0?t=473

I need it to talk to me. I needa read it's logs. I need to connect a screen to understand it's status or issues. Would it work to connect a TP cable to it and ssh into the server?

How can I install this HD Station?

I think I needa spend this whole night reading through and watching through all the links you sent me. Many thanks, really. I'll prolly be back tomorrow...
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

johnK34 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:04 am
The small SATA disks is just a test to make it work.
oic, yeah i do that too sometimes for testing :mrgreen:

johnK34 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:04 am I have already connected QNAP to my network with a TP cable and it shows up in my router and has got an IP address. So far so good.
sorry but what is tp cable? :'

johnK34 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:04 am The intention is to connect to my TV yes, because I have them both in my living room. But of course QNAP will be conntected to my LAN/router as well to shuffle the data around in the house.

TV will be used only initially to install the QNAP NAS. Then it'll be disconnected and I'll only access it over the network when needed. Maybe initially also to install some app or whatever. I use the HDMI for TV and TP for LAN through my router. And I have keyboard to it as well, but I mostly use my laptops around in the house.

okay a bit confused here.

i get you want to make the qnap interface with your tv. you can do this 2 methods. HDMI using hdstation on the QNAP. OR, using ethernet (your HDTV presumably has an ethernet port, connected this to a switch. then connect your qnap to the same switch. and this switch in turn is connected to your router. all is ethernet wired. Now they are all on the same network)

Then for example, i use a samsung smart tv. when i setup wired this way as i mentioned via ethernet, i can then install plex or kodi on the smart tv, then connect to the QNAP NAS and stream my video media content to watch. This is basically the setup i am suggesting. Pre requisite is that your HDTV has networking capability (which most smart tvs have these days), and the HDTV, QNAP both can be connected to the router lan networking.

johnK34 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:04 am But to install HD Station, I guess I need to be presented an interface/console somewhere and this is what I expect to be presented when I go to a browser and hit at it's IP on port 8080, but nothing is answering there. I get no response at all as if there wasn't anything listening on the other end (QNAP server). That makes me think that something hasn't started up properly.
yes before you can use the hdmi for qnap to smart tv, you MUST have hdstation installed first.

johnK34 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:04 am And yes I use static IP. Set in my router/switch. But I doubt that matters as long as I can address it in the webbrowser with correct IP. It's on the same subnet as my other computers, servers, mobile devices. From none of them I can reach the QNAP on it's IP at port 8080.
Okay, normally during initial setup, most people would first connect the QNAP to a network which is connected to both a desktop/laptop and the router. Usually by connecting to a switch.

I strongly suggest you do your initial setup this way first. after you update your qts firmware, install hdstation, configure your hdd storage volumes and other qts configurations, only THEN you shutdown the NAS, move it near to your tv and connect to the HDMI.

although i recommend instead of using hdmi, to use ethernet. Then you don't need hdmi for tv, you just stream the content from your NAS to your HDTV via the lan.

You can create a diagram here to illustrate your network topology
https://www.diagrams.net/

When you say I should try to plug an ethernet cable to the TV - I don't understand anymore... What would that solve? My TV won't communicate to the QNAP...
i was referring to your final setup. to suggest using ethernet over hdmi. here is an example

How to Stream & Watch Movie from
QNAP NAS TS-453Pro (DLNA Media Server) to
LG UHD TV 4K 43UH610T via Port LAN Network (Photo & Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKVcQ0QLb8A

for streaming apps i recommend plex and kodi. On your smart tv, if you are using an android ecosystem, those apps may be available for android. If your smart tv doesn't have those apps, another solution is to use an android media box connected to your tv. So you then switch your tv source to the android box, then from android box install and open up plex or kodi, then from the app, connect to your NAS on the network, configure the settings for the app, then browse content and play to watch on your hdtv :D

This here is how you connect an ethernet from a smart tv (that has ethernet capability) to a switch or router directly. At this point the tv has lan connectivity. and your nas if connect to that lan, will also be connected/available to the smart tv on the same lan network. and this how you can stream from your nas to your hdtv :) (hdmi not required)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N8DPEux5yE

but if you still insist on using hdmi and connect direct to hdtv that way, then i still highly recommend that you do the initial setup by plugging the NAS via ethernet to your lan switch, then use a desktop/laptop to then connect to the QTS UI :8080 (use qfinder if u have trouble finding the nas on the network. make sure network discovery is enabled on windows 10), for initial setup of NAS. And when you are done, you can boot down and move it to your HDTV to connect via hdmi.

to access QTS via the HDMI method, you have to install the qts app in hdstation if i am not mistaken? when you are in hdstation, there are app selections, so you would select from there.
NAS

Network

Resources
johnK34
New here

Post by johnK34 »

OK, I might have given you too much info and confused you. Sorry :) I'll try again, a bit more focused.

Ignore the TV, HDMI cable. I'll throw them out of the window. They are no longer details in this description.

I have connected the QNAP to my LAN with a TP cable (twister pair = a standard cat6 network cable), of course including a switch/router in the middle of the network. I have inserted 2 HDs in the QNAP server already and started it up. I can hear it's constantly working, as if someone was browsing the disks. It never stops, not even after 24h of running. Some lamps blinking too. It also shows up in my router with ip 192.168.0.18. Looks healthy so far.

Issue now being: When I browse to it's IP at port 8080 (with Firefox or Chrome) using my laptops, either one (win10 or Ubuntu or Fedora), I cannot get any response from QNAP server.

This is the output of a curl

$ curl -vvv http://192.168.0.18:8080
* Trying 192.168.0.18:8080...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:20 --:--:-- 0* connect to 192.168.0.18 port 8080 failed: Timed out
* Failed to connect to 192.168.0.18 port 8080: Timed out
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:21 --:--:-- 0
* Closing connection 0
curl: (28) Failed to connect to 192.168.0.18 port 8080: Timed out

$ curl -kvvvL https://192.168.0.18:8080
* Trying 192.168.0.18:8080...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:03 --:--:-- 0* Connected to 192.168.0.18 (192.168.0.18) port 8080 (#0)
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:03 --:--:-- 0* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: C:/Program Files/Git/mingw64/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
* CApath: none
} [5 bytes data]
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
} [512 bytes data]
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:03:28 --:--:-- 0

Is something inside not serving very well? Hell no, but why so? Well, I cannot tell because I cannot access any logs anywhere. Hence my initial idea of connecting a monitor, in my case the closest thing here being a TV using the existing and handy HDMI. But I am sure that the TV ain't the issue here, so ignore the TV details. The issue is the QNAP, which doesn't respond through it's web-ui.

And QNAP Finder doesn't see the server.

How can I debug this? Now please don't tell me to connect it to my TV again, because that sends me nowhere :(
johnK34
New here

Post by johnK34 »

The following page shows what I am trying to do, however, I don't even see the first WELCOME-page

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/tutor ... stallation
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

johnK34 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 am Is something inside not serving very well? ** no, but why so? Well, I cannot tell because I cannot access any logs anywhere. Hence my initial idea of connecting a monitor, in my case the closest thing here being a TV using the existing and handy HDMI. But I am sure that the TV ain't the issue here, so ignore the TV details. The issue is the QNAP, which doesn't respond through it's web-ui.
ooo... i get it now.

you tried to access the normal way, but it wasn't detected or reachable, so you then decided to try via hdmi. oic.

so troubleshoot by leaving the qnap plugged into the router/switch using ethernet cable.

do you have network discovery enabled for windows 10? if that is not enabled, your QNAP might be be found or accessed. Also check your antivirus and firewalls to make sure it's not blocking the QNAP.

Your router has dhcp or static ip assigned for the QNAP yes? check if you are not sure.

Use qfinder and hit refresh. If still no luck, try reboot your router, switch, QNAP nas, and pc. Check qfinder, refresh, does it still not work?

At this point i would consider trying a soft reset (reason being sometimes you get locked out due to ipblock on the qnap itself, or misconfiguration with the network virtual switch, so a soft reset usually fixes this. password will be rested back to default). And if that doesn't work a hard reset (make sure you have a backup before you do this, because it formats and wipes all the data on your nas).

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”